“Too many rooms, too few elevators”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #363 of 468 Hotels in New York City
West Chester
“Too many rooms, too few elevators”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A 400+ room hotel on 44 floors has three smallish elevators. On two consecutive stays in two weeks, one of the 3 elevators was out-of-service. Even when all 3 are working, I have waited up to 20 minutes to leave in the morning or return in the evening. There may be little they can do now, but Hilton traded revenue (more rooms) for customer convenience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Veronica G, Guest Services at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the extended elevator wait that you experienced during your stay with us and any inconvenience that may have resulted from this. If there is any way that I can be of any service to you, regarding this most recent stay, or any future stays that you may have with us, please contact me at john.brown@hilton.com and I will do everything in my power to assist you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was very good if you are a business person doing something in downtown NYC. It had a nice shower, comfortable king-size bed, a nice desk to do work on and everything in the room worked fine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very glad to hear that you the accommodations of our hotel satisfactory and so convenient to your travel needs. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Boston
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Have stayed here multiple times now with my wife.

Here are the pros:

--price, have paid well below $200 a night both times for weekend stays
--location, downtown, not very crowded, easy access to major subway lines
--clean, extremely clean on all visits

Here are the cons:

--can be hard to find, small side street, no signage visible from ends of street
--noise, you are staying in a major city, if street noise annoys you, why are you there? ice machine in hallway can be loud, air conditioner also seems to run loud.
--elevators, the other reviews are true, the elevators here can be horrible. They are slow. In fact, they were broken this morning and people had to call front desk for an elevator so an employee can manually run it up to your floor.

I rate this hotel very good because for me, location, price and cleanliness are most important. Noise doesn't bother us and while the elevators are annoying, the other factors are too good for us. If you are someone who wants absolute peace and quiet, a beautiful view and super-fast elevators, don't come here. If you are a little flexible and can roll with the punches, you will get a good deal on a well-located, clean hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the extended elevator wait time that you have reported as well as any inconvenience that this may have caused you. However, I am very glad to hear that you found the accommodations of our hotel satisfactory and so convenient to your vacation travel needs. We greatly appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is on a small quiet street, we stayed for two nights (fri-sat). The entrance is not obvious, walk past luggage area and then you have to immediately take elevator up to the lobby level. There is outdoor dining area that was always our land mark since the signs are hard to see when you are right there.

We ran into quite delay checking in about 6 pm. I had booked directly with Doubletree and they said the room was not ready. We waited about 15 - 20 minutes, then they finished check in. The rate was to include night time water taxi however this caused great confusion. As we were now late for dinner, we agreed to have manager call us. Which he did, however it was not fully resolved until I went back down the next day. All was corrected with a credit because the water taxi was sold out. Just a bit of hassle with this booked on their corp site and they did not know about it.

The room was 2 double beds, only on 19 facing other buildings. All fine, smaller but this is NYC and it was clean. Walk in shower which we liked and very modern sink/vanity. Ice / vending up one floor. Small closet and very little/no room for any large suitcase. We had backpack and small suitcase. AC unit was a bit noisy. Elevator was slow as mentioned by others here. Probably smallest hallways I have seen in NYC, but we weren't paying for those!

Location was great - be sure to walk out and see the Fraunces Tavern, Dubliner and those area streets as they look like movie set from the early 1900's when that was Manhattan! Lots taverns in the area, walk easy to Battery Park and see Statue of Liberty. Easy walk over to WTC and also Wall Street. The streets are not laid out in a grid so be prepared to be a bit lost but it is generally safe and lots of people now live in the area due to all residential conversions. No more than 5 min walk to subway for 2 or 3 main lines. About 25 min subway ride up to Penn Station. R Subway line is nearby also.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Hotel lobby is up one floor via elevator from the street Hotel sign is not easy to see when you are...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Please note that I did not say Hotel from hell. I have stayed at this hotel before and it was ok. This time however was a disaster. First night we discovered dirty linen and from there it went down hill. For 5 days it was one thing after another. Ac not working, mosquitoes a plenty, bathroom door handle off, toilet roll handle off. The straw that broke the camels back was when some of our items went missing. I love Doubletree hotels but never this one again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jerry A
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed for overnight after a Broadway show. We arrived late and left early. Truly didn't have much expectation after reading some of the reviews. Since we were on the eighth floor, we walked the stairs to avoid extra waiting time for the elevator. However, the bed was surprisingly comfortable; room has more space than the other hotel I stayed before. Location was quieter; parking was convenient. Will stay here again if I visit New York city again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Shenandoah Valley, Va.
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This was my first time trying Priceline.com and The Doubletree, 8 Stone Street, NY. I was a little nervous about both, that is, until check-in. My husband and I were greeted with a smile and a warm welcome. Check-in was extremely easy. We were told, "My name is Wanda; enjoy your stay. Let me know, if there is anything else you need." To top it off, we were handed two warm and yummy chocolate chip cookies. When we got to our room, it was nicer than expected, especially for the price. There was one problem...I looked out the window. I am afraid of heights, but asked for "the lowest floor with a view" trying to be brave. Wanda met my request, but I just couldn't stay that high. I was so embarrassed, but called and asked for Wanda and explained my issue. She and her supervisor took care of everything! They did so with understanding and kindness. Everyone we have encountered at this hotel from the front desk staff to the doormen, and even the maintenance men were very friendly. My husband and I will definitely stay here again and we will recommend this hotel to our friends.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VoIPWiz
Veronica G, Guest Service at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We would like to thank you for your kind words towards us. I am glad we were able accommodate your request and that your stay was enjoyable. Please, make us your hotel of choice, whenever visiting the New York City area. Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Financial District and have a great day.