“I haven't been taken care of this well since childhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #207 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“I haven't been taken care of this well since childhood”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Honestly, words can not express the joy that I felt at the Aloft hotel. Every step of the way I was taken care of. My stay at the Aloft began far before I even reached Harlem. I called the hotel groggy at 1 am and asked whether there was a shuttle from LaGuardia, Malika answered all of my questions with grace and ease. EASE,<--- Being the operative word. I've stayed at a ton of super expensive hotels around the world and when that is the way people answer the phone at 1 am then something is right. HEre is the most ridiculous part. The service only kept getting better!

I arrived at the Aloft quite easily due to Malika's help and directions. I spent most of the time at my conference handling business no problem. I can't sleep sleep so I ask Chonette where I can go and have a good time. She sends me to a awesome place (Moca) a few blocks away and I have the time of my life there!

So the night before check out I ask whats a good restaurant to eat at. I think that the staff person is going to freestyle it. Just say the first thing that comes to mind. Instead of doing that she brings out a binder twice the size of the Bible, annotated and color coordinated with every restaurant in the area, organized by style of food. I am once again floored!

So final day of my trip I go downstairs on a whim and ask if there is a good breakfast spot nearby? I am getting ready to workout in the gym and I really didn't want to think after my workout. They say Kitchenette Or Cafe Latte. I say cool, I want a map annotated with instructions upon my arrival. Just being facetious. <---Legitimately joking.

Imagine my shock and awe when I go back downstairs after working out and packing that they not only printed a map for me but they annotated it with notes, and photos! NOTES AND PHOTOS people! <--Special thank you to Jen and Rachel for the best designed map I've ever received in my life!

I have never been taken care of the way I was at the Aloft. Honestly, the Harvard Buisness Reveiw needs to study their training program and hiring protocol because the people there were otherworldly kind, knowledgeable, and willing to do what ever takes and then some. I truly felt honored for the opportunity to stay there and would recommend it to anyone and everyone on the planet!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Chace_B
AloftHarlem, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Chace,

This is the best review! It means so much that you took time to detail your entire stay. We made sure to pass the review along to our entire staff and everyone enjoyed reading it. Please come back to visit us. It is guests like you that make our job so much fun.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Love love love this hotel. Came for my birthday and have no complaints! The staff was wonderful! Love love love and that's it! Oh and they have a DJ at night! Love love love!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear RoslynF,

We love love love this review! Thank you for taking time to review our property and thanks for the enthusiasm. It's very aloft! We hope you had a great birthday.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The rooms here are a good size and nicely designed. NYC hotel room are usually tiny tiny tiny. Great amenities.

The neighborhood is great! Right around the corner from the Apollo. Lots of restaurants. The subway is very convenient - a 5 minute walk at the most.

However, after being out all day my husband and I wanted to take a quick nap before going out for the evening. The room had not been done. This was at 3:30 in the afternoon! Housekeeping knocked on the door a little after 4:00, but we were sleeping by then. Obviously our room was never done. I went to the front desk at about 6:30 when we were on our way out and asked if housekeeping could do the room. We were told they left at 5:00. Their attitude was basically "Well, you sent them away so we can't be expected to clean the room". I said I thought 4:00 was awfully late. Every other hotel where I've stayed usually have the rooms done by late morning/early afternoon. I was told, "It's a big hotel.. It takes a long time to clean it". Sorry - that doesn't cut it for me. I would stay there again, but would request they do the room early. Not sure if that would work, but it would be worth a shot.

As this was the only negative experience, I think it deserves a 4 1/2, but that's not an option. :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the club in the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
AloftHarlem, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Bezvb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and detail your experience. We're glad that you enjoyed yourself. Your housekeeping experience is very unfortunate and we sincerely apologize for this mishap. We'll make sure your next visit will be flawless. Please let us know the next time you're in New York City! We hope you'll choose to stay with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 October 2011

A welcome addition for this end of town. On check-in you immediately realize that they aim to please... very accommodating staff. A bit bare bones but the W-lite coolness factor in effect, complete with Bliss toiletries. Hotel is very modern. Some areas are wearing already, but not enough to really care. Other than the bar area and pool table area all the spaces are a bit tight... the rooms, corridors, breakfast buffet area. Bathroom actually was roomy.. we just had walk-in shower, no tub... ok by me.

Tip: Check out the new Red Rooster restaurant a few blocks away.. but book early, very hot place.

Room Tip: No restaurant at property... just a snack area
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank WINEandTRAVEL
Dear WINEandTRAVEL,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. We're glad you enjoyed yourself and we'd love to have you come back next time you visit New York City.
Lecanto, Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2011

If you're staying in uptown( a visit to Columbia for my daughter ), the Aloft should be considered. It is a hip, boutique-style hotel within easy access to subway, and the Apollo is right around the corner.
The room was spacious and tastefully decorated. At night, it was stone-quiet, if you value your sleep.
The highlight of the stay, however, was the staff-the entire staff. I don't know if they just got lucky, or if it's a corporate philosophy, but this is how I run my business(health care), and it is how people should be treated. They all were truly hospitable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Lookingfor912,

Thank you for the great review of our property. We really appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our staff. We made sure to pass along your comment to the entire staff and they were very appreciative. Please let us know next time you visit New York City, as we would love to have you stay with us again.

Thanks
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Enjoyed our stay - excellent staff. Good location. And very reasonable parking just across the street (which will save you the $45 per day valet parking offered by the hotel).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Theworldissmall,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, it is greatly appreciated. Please visit us again next time you make the trip to New York City.

Thanks again.
boston
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Aloft Harlem is modern, convenient, has an absolutely delightful staff, and is comfortable. Apparently the Aloft concept (there are some 50 hotels in the group) is Starwood's alternative to Comfort, Days, and other 'Inns' -- and as such, is a superior approach. The hotel fits a lot into a small space. Our room was small, but efficiently designed, and thus perfectly comfortable. Nice touches like free bottles of water (unlike other hotels that charge outrageous amounts). The bar is modern and welcoming with a very upscale diverse clientele. My own personal minor frustration was the lack of skin lotion among the bathroom amenities. But the free wi-fi in a good Manhattan hotel certainly was a worthwhile trade-off. The staff is truly outstanding. Definitely worth more visits.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Tnsc,

Thank you for reviewing our property. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed the Aloft concept. Maybe now you'll visit Alofts in other cities as well. We would love if you stayed with us again the next time you visit New York City. Stop by the desk and we'll give you extra lotion.

Thanks again.
Harlem
Saint Nicholas Inn
Saint Nicholas Inn
#360 of 467 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!