“Don't stay here if you want a traditional "quality" hotel”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #240 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Many people rave about this hotel, presumably since it is "hip", "trendy", "cool" and "modern". These adjectives are very accurate, so if you want a hip and trendy hotel, you will probably love this hotel. By contrast, if you want a more traditional quality hotel (e.g. Hilton, Marriott, or Sheraton) you will probably hate this hotel as much as I did. Here are the features that were very annoying: The elevators had some sort of strong scent that was intentionally added, the tiny lobby had very loud music playing (so loud that I was unable to make a phone call), the small hallway between the elevators and the lobby had the décor (if you can call it that) of a bus station (cement floor and a simple wooden bench), the carpet in my room was dirty, torn and worn out, the first thing that one sees upon opening the room door is a toilet, there is no traditional shampoo in the bathroom - instead there are industrial sized bottles of shampoo fixed to the wall, and the hotel is in an inconvenient location, with only low quality restaurants nearby. To be fair, this hotel does a great job with the cool, hip and trendy factor, but that's it. I hope to never stay at an Aloft hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Flintstone1234
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I must say that inspite of the two stars you gave us, you did give a very fair review of your likes or dislikes in a hotel, which is really great. You are correct Aloft is not the traditional hotel. It is a vision of the W Hotel brand which as you know if far from traditional.
In terms of the location we are a block away from 4 subway lines and you can get to Midtown Manhattan in less than 15 minutes, close to Central Park, Columbia University and a number of fantastic places.
We appreciate you taking the time to write the review.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Harlem

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I'm writing this review primarily to Thank Jermel because I know the hotel manager regularly monitors tripadvisor - which is a good thing. Inevitably, when you travel alot you leave things behind. In this instance I had booked 2 rooms, one for the kids and 1 for us and we left 2 things behind. Jermel was instrumental in returning them to us, and I thank you for the great customer service which seems to be the overwhelming theme of this hotel, customer service.

It's location is great if you are going to Columbia University or the Apollo theater, it's 10 blocks away from the North end of Central Park, just across 110th street you'll find it there. I took advantage of all these things while I was there but ran out of things to do after.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I made sure to give a copy to Jermel and thank him as well. I did however joke with him that I read a scathing review on the site. We got a good laugh.
Jermel is an exceptional and dedicated member of the Aloft team who never fails to go above and beyond to help out guest and coworkers.
Wow...that is what comes to mind in your compliment of the customer service received. The management team know we are lucky to have this team.

Thank you again.

Bertrand, Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Aloft Harlem in August while moving our son to attend Columbia University. When we walked into the lobby, my son said "wow, mom this is really cool". What a great way to start our stay plus the front desk staff were happy to see us! The room was much bigger than any other hotel that we have stayed at in New York. Our stay included a breakfast, there were healthy choices, yogurt, fruit, etc, not a full breakfast. There are some very good restaurants in the area that are within walking distance. I know that some people would be skeptical about the area but we never felt unsafe. We were close enough that we walked to Columbia, some may find it too far but we wanted the exercise. We will stay there again when visiting our son. If you stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank your for taking the time to write a review. It's wonderful that your son was so exuberant upon his arrival to the hotel. We appreciate your detailed review of our Re:Fuel (food/snack/soft drinks) area and of the surrounding area. Harlem really is a great neighborhood that continues to get better.
We are glad you will be back.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed at the Aloft Harlem from September 5th to September 8th 2013 with my husband.
We went to NYC to attend the Triton music festival which took place at the Irving Plaza which is all the way down where Union Square is. I was worried that the hotel might be too far but the subway ride is super fast, especially if you take the express train. The subway station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel which is perfect. They get an A+ for that!

The hotel is very clean and modern. I loved the large windows in the room. The size of the room was perfect for 2 people and larger than the usual NYC hotel room. I’m just going the list the details that stood out to me:

The shower has shampoo and body wash dispensers so you don’t need to pack your own little bottles. The wifi signal was great
The mini fridge in the room came in handy
You get 2 free bottles of water in the room
I really liked the service they offered where if you declined housekeeping service the hotel gives you a $5.00 voucher that you can use downstairs at the bar or in the little snack shop.
Modern décor
Comfortable beds, I slept well every night

I would definitely stay here again and recommend the Aloft Harlem to anyone looking for a different part of town to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pineapple_dee
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have nothing bad to say about Aloft Harlem. They accommodated our early check-in time, the room had everything we needed, and service was amazing. I know some people are skeptical about the area, but everyone we encountered was extremely friendly. The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is because it's not right in the centre of Manhattan which is what most people want, but even by subway it's less than ten minutes away. The subway is only a couple minutes away by walking too. My friend and I came back on most nights around 11:30 PM and even 4 AM one morning and never really felt uncomfortable walking the streets at night. I would 100% come back here the next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed: August 2013
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Wow! Thanks for the rave review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Harlem. Although not in the center of Manhattan, Harlem is growing and slowly changing skeptics minds. We look forward to having you back with us. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I recently needed a hotel close to Columbia University as we were dropping our son off for college. I looked for hotels close to the school and booked a room at the ALOFT in Harlem as it is very close to the campus. I have to say that we made an EXCELLENT CHOICE when we booked this hotel. The staff was courteous, the facility was spotless, and the overall experience at the ALOFT was one of the best hotel stays that I can remember. When we arrived we were pleased with the layout of the room and the newness of the decor. The contemporary feel of this hotel is bright and cheerful. The breakfast bar in the morning was excellent and the $ 5.00 vouchers that the hotel offers if you opt out on the maid service came in handy too. This hotel is in my opinion is a really great value and is far superior to many of the hotels in the area charging comparable rates. I know this because we spoke with other parents dropping off their kids at school that did not have good "hotel experiences". If you are in the Harlem area and want a nice, clean, room with great amenities, exercise room, fun bar, stay at the ALOFT, you will have a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the review. It's so nice to hear that you had an enjoyable experince at the Aloft Harlem. We hope this will become your place to stay in NYC.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our sons live nearby, stayed here for a few nights to visit them. The layout of the room is quite different than most hotels, but it works. Bed was very comfortable. Bar downstairs was quit loud in the evenings, but we didn't hear it at all in our room (4th floor). Everything was clean. Got a $5 voucher for every night we didn't require housekeeping which we could use at the breakfast bar. The only real issue is that the air conditioner for the room was rather loud, although it certainly kept the room comfortable. A good place to stay in this part of Manhattan.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank your for sharing a review of your stay at the Aloft Harlem. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you enjoyed Harlem.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
#438 of 468 in New York City
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
#392 of 468 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!