“Interesting choice but not for me...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #223 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Milan, Italy
“Interesting choice but not for me...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

It is a rather original concept for a loft/hotel that it is clearly targeted to young clients (18-28): loud music, young personel attending the front desk (full of energy but sort of "Mac Donalds style": may I have your order? and ....NEXT!), a large bar with karaoker nights, a kiosk. All these features are particularly interesting for a young population who is looking for a well located (5-10 block north from the central park), medium budget and comfortable hotel (large bedrooms but awkward shower, very trendy decoration, complementary coffee).
All I can say is that it is an interesting hotel but it is definitely not for me...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tango01
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
We appreciate your review. Aloft is definitely a lifestyle hotel and does cater to a tech savvy crowd, but definitely not just for a young crowd. Starwood has a number of great hotel in the city so we hope you choose one of our sister properties when next you are in NYC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We needed a place to stay for a date night. I first look past this place because it was to close to my house and it's local (long story ) I booked it in line and did not have to pay until the day I arrive ( love that ) save a lil money until I was ready to pay. We stay again on the 15 fl ( I knw lucky me ,that my anniversary date) any way to my surprise the hotel was clean and look nice inside the lobbly and the room. Check in was easy and fast. The lobby had food for sale very expensive because of the location and your in New York .our view was really nice we over look the movie theater and 125th street . The shower was really nice , it's a walk in shower , no tub less mess to see if the bathroom is old. This was a plus for me because I hate dirty bathroom. They have a big bed and TV in the room.This place was really nice and have me thinking about some local hotel( not all) I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Lisa B
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for the review. Great to hear that you enjoyed yours stay at the Aloft. The room, the view and the convenience close to home as well.
Union City, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

the Aloft is is designed for the technies. traveling with teenagers who all have laptops, cell phones or tablets. rooms have enough power and usb outlets for all.
nice size rooms. staff is accomdating

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Phyllis S
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Aloft Harlem. You really are an Aloft expert. Yes tech savvy guest definitely find this a great place to stay.
Hope you come back soon.
Albany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

As with my first stay, the hotel is lovely. Room was clean, retro, great for the price. Front desk was very friendly. The only negative I have is the XYZ lounge. The bartender (on Monday night)was less than attentive and in fact was more interested in flirting with some guy at the bar while belting out tunes that were playing overhead. It was annoying and unprofessional. When we cashed out she swiftly grabbed the tip before we left. I find that rude - it wasn't busy so can't you wait until we at least get off of our chairs? I would have snatched it back if I had the chance. I hope management addresses this because it certainly doesn't go along with the vibe of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor as street noise kept me awake.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cab1002
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
So appreciative for your review. I am happy that you will be back with us and it just pained me to hear about your experience at WXYZ lounge. You can rest assured that we have followed up on this matter and hope that your next experience specifically at WXYZ will be better.
We look forward to having you back soon.
Suisun City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I'm a New Yorker who now lives in Cali. When I visit NYC and want to stay in the city, finding hotels that are less than $200.00 per night can be a chore. Upon arrival at Aloft I was initially concerned about on street parking. I'm very familiar with the neighborhood and knew that NYC has alternate side of the street parking rules, and who wants to wake up early to move their car. The recommended parking garage is about 3-4 blocks away. I chose to park streetside( worry free) that didnt have the alternate side rules. The Aloft is a hip looking hotel. Even though the reception area is downstairs, there is a tiny elevator and carts to help with luggage. The lobby/reception area has a very pleasant atmosphere and decor and the staff were outstanding. The room was clean and small which should not be a surprise to any NYC visitor( I've seen smaller for more money). The mini fridge is a joke, they should replace them. Considering the location, I doubt anyone staying here would be in their rooms for large amounts of time anyway, it's NYC!! I found out that the bar area eventually turns into a club. I didn't have a problem with the music, but once the bar closed down the departing crowd noise was a little disturbing. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend Aloft to anyone.

Room Tip: Street view is the best considering the other rooms will be facing walls.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoNathan910
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Aloft Harlem. You detailed description of the hotel and the surrounding area will hopefully give guests some idea of what they have in store.
WXYZ bar never turns into a 'club' per se, but we do have a DJ four nights a week.
We appreciate the recommendation.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Don't understand the good reviews. Hubby and friend say: Arrived at night. Neighborhood seemed very scary. Upon entering the hotel, were engulfed by a deafening and un-welcoming noise since the reception desk is sitting in a bar. Had trouble hearing the receptionist. Had a closet size room barely containing the bed. Had to squeeze into the room after opening the door, and then could barely move in the room. There was no enclosed closet and indeed there would have been no place for a closet door. Bathroom was tiny and with a sliding door for the same reason. Locks on the door were flimsy and were missing some screws. Especially unsettling given the neighborhood. 'View' from the room was of a wall. Got up early wishing to flee the hotel. No regular breakfast in the morning: there were a few pastries for sale but no place to sit. Couldn't find any other reasonable breakfast place nearby. Room was very expensive: had we known in advance how bad this experience would be, we would have either added $50 and stayed in a reasonable place not too far or pay the same price for a little further place.

Room Tip: Go some place else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Moni M
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Aloft is a select service hotel so we do not offer a full breakfast. Our wonderful front desk staff will always provide great suggestions of where one can grab breakfast/lunch/dinner in the area. As the name suggests ' a loft' the design is not that of a typical hotel room with walls and closest positioned similarly.
The neighborhood itself is quite diverse and racially mixed with many professionals in the area and major stores and restaurants coming to the area because of that, so not sure what was scary, but i guess NYC can be overwhelming.
As a vision of W Hotels the brand follows a similar style in the layout of the welcome/aloha desk and living room being as one.
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed her for a business trip. Has a very upbeat, social feel to it. Had a King room. Was a little tight. small bathroom facility, barely there closet space. Clearly not meant for you to stay in the room much, just for sleeping. Even though we had a 6th floor room, the outside noise and music from the 1st floor "club" kept us awake for a lil while. Would only stay here if I absolutely had to, or if I was planning on being out most of the night n just crashing here to get a lil shut-eye.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Marrakech Hotel
Marrakech Hotel
#385 of 467 in New York City
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,544 reviews

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!