“a manhattan bargain”
Review of Aloft Harlem

Aloft Harlem
Ranked #237 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 January 2014

A very clean, rather new (3 years old), nicely appointed, friendly service and reasonably-priced.hotel, with rooms that are more spacious than I imagined, including a terrific shower.
The sole negative is the doors SLAM shut, making a loud noise when the guests leave the room. I requested a room at an upper level and was acccomodated very nicely with a room on the top floor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for choosing the Aloft Harlem for your hotel accommodations in NYC! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback about your experience at our hotel. We look forward to having you stay again at the Aloft Harlem!

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

If you'd looking for a hotel that treats you like family, then stay here! This is our second time staying at the Aloft Harlem. Still the same charm from when they first opened. Barbele (mispelled that name) checked us right in. She was so sweet and professional. She called a few places for is to see who was open for late night eats. Very nice gesture.
The room is huge!!! Especially for NYC. Love the bliss products, the bathroom was really nice as well.
They have a community pool table to use in the lounge and great bar. Good selection on booze. They also have a nice seating area right in front. Gives it a really nice homey feel.

Can't wait to come back. Thank to all of the Aloft staff!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aquaria H, Director of Sales at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for your Wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for acknowleding our staff member Babene and for your feedback about our hotel. We look forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I visited NYC last week end as a solo female traveler – I choose hotel because of a price and Starwood name. It’s a boutique hotel and its clean well-maintained – The King room was spacious by NY standards and like bliss products. Free internet is a delight. I loved the fun funky vibe. In evening you have bar /dj pool playing atmosphere that young people will love. I liked that fresh to go food that was available.
As a solo female I was not so happy with the solo walk to the A/D train in the evening so I took a cab back from midtown every evening. But couples and groups should have no problem. I was pleasantly surprised at the big name stores on 125th street from the GAP to MAC and street vendors– it’s worth a daytime walk. So walk towards Lenox Ave (where restaurants are) and see stores and vendors.
The talent staff is helpful and pleasant from first greeting to goodbye. They gave me direction, got me cabs when I needed it and was able to get my room clean at 5 pm when it was over looked. Last check your bill before you go if there is a speacil promotion. The manager who is very professional and resolved issues post trip but check bill before you go.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank wendcher

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and in Harlem! We are looking forward to having you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I would sum up my stay here as...A pleasant surprise!!!

First, you are greeted by a staff that really seems to be glad to have you. (Aloft, don't ever change that!) The staff was also helpful throughout our stay (Friday 12/20 to Monday 12/23)

Second, the lobby has a hip feel to it but not too over the top. P.S.- Ioved the Christmas décor.

Third, there was a DJ there on Friday and Saturday night and the ambiance was social and somewhat party like but not like the club scene. The atmosphere was festive.

To add, it was nice to have the complimentary bottled water and the coffee was better than average.

Location, location, location....don't be afraid because it's in Harlem.
1. close to multiple bus routes (including a bus to LaGuardia airport)
2. close to discount shopping ( food and other wise)
3. close to subway station

I will definitely stay here again.

Kudos to Aloft and keep up the good work!!!!

Room Tip: Room 515 is quiet, facing a brick wall but away from the elevator
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheLovely
Bertrand N, Manager at Aloft Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you for the glowing review. So glad you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Harlem. The team is really exceptional and I am pleased that you noted that. Kudos to you for pointing out that the area really is in a great location. Shopping, restaurants, subways and buses all close by.
Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday. Come back soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed at the Aloft Harlem for two nights and while I was concerned after reading some of the comments, I was pleasantly surprised except for some couple items. Here is my review:

From the airport: After a overnight flight from Honolulu, I took the shuttle from Newark airport. The cost was $16 one way and despite the Friday afternoon traffic and being the 9th person dropped off, took about one hour from the airport to the hotel.

Arrival at Hotel: When arriving at the hotel, you have to go down a number of stairs or take the elevator, which is located to the left of the stairs. Since I had my luggage and the fact that it was raining and the stairs looked kind of steep, I opted for the elevator. I have to say that this elevator (which is not the one to go to the rooms), is the slowest elevator in the world. It only had to go down one floor, but it felt like an hour had passed. I was concerned that this was the first thing I experienced.

Checking In: After getting off the elevator I went to the registration desk. The desk is right in the middle of the lobby and it is a circle, which is different than a "traditional" hotel. The person who checked me in did an average job. She gave me my card keys, informed me about the internet in the room, and also about the hours for the bar. Nothing really special.

Location of Room: My room was on the second floor and it was about 10 feet away from the elevator. I was worried that the possible noise from other guests accessing the elevator would be noisy, but I did not hear this. I did notice that there was a room as soon as you get off the elevator, so maybe this room is not the best.

Room Stuff: The size of the room was spacious for New York. There was several light switches, and each switch was marked. There was a long counter on one side of the room with a office chair. There was also a mini fridge below the bathroom sink. Before you buy any drinks, make sure you check out the fridge, just to make sure your things fit. I had a queen size bed and the bed and pillow was comfortable for me. The wireless internet worked great for me, I just used it to access e-mails and websites. Another thing, the bathroom does not have the mini bottles of shampoo and conditioner. On the wall of the shower is a dispenser of shampoo and body wash.

Location of Hotel: After reading some of the comments, I was concerned about the area around the hotel. However I found it to be not bad. True, it's not like you are walking in Disneyland, but to me I had not problems. The hotel is located right across the Magic Johnson movie theatres and it is about a 5 minute walk to the subway station. There is a Duane Reade (drugstore) at the corner and this is where I purchased some snacks and drinks (the room came with two bottles of complimentary water). As I was walking from the hotel to the subway station, I noticed a Joe's Crab Shack, Chuck E Cheese, Ross's, Foot Locker, Dunkin Donuts, and other stores/restaurants along the way. I took the subway into Manhattan/Times Square/Rockefeller Center and if you take one subway line (sorry I forgot which one), it is an express which took about 10-15 minutes.

Staff: I did not interact with the staff a lot, only during check in and check out.

Restaurant: I did not see one, however there is a snack store right next to the registration desk. There was snacks (cookies, chips), drinks, and other food items which you purchase from the registration desk.

Fitness Center: There was one, I did not use.

Checking out: I checked out at 5:00 a.m., so there was no one else at the registration desk. I took the shuttle back to Newark.

Negatives:
-As other reviewers have mentioned, the noise from the nightclub can be loud. From my second floor room, I could hear the music and people. The first night I was too tired from the flight so I slept through it. Same thing for the second night, however I can see how the noise can bother some people.
-The air conditioner in the room was also loud. When other reviewers mentioned this I was hoping it was just something that happened to other people. However I also noticed this. Maybe this is why the noise from the nightclub did not bother me was because of the air conditioner noise. If I had to stay any longer than I did, than I would have made a complaint to the staff.

Positives:
-Despite the noise, I liked the "modern" look. Yes, it's good to go to a hotel and be pampered with luxury. But to me, it's good to mix it up a little and feel "young" again.
-Direct TV. I love it that the tv has the Direct tv service. Unlike some hotels where you only have 10 channels, the Aloft has a ton of channels. I tried to look for an ac repair channel, no luck.
-Cleaning room option. I like that Aloft gives you a choice that if you don't want your room cleaned, that you get a $5.00 coupon to be used at their snack store or SPG points.
-Location of hotel and subway access. Some people have a negative response when you mention Harlem, but I found the area to be okay and with the subway station about a 5 minute walk, getting into Manhattan was a breeze.

Final comment: I found this hotel to be very good. I would have preferred to stay in Manhattan, but since the Aloft was about half the cost, this was a good alternative hotel. I would stay here again. However if the ac had the same noise, than next time I will definitely say something.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank gsuzuki

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must say you are very detailed which is awesome and very fair. Please do let us know next time you stay if there are any issues such as AC noise and we will do wall we can to accomodate you, with that said I like that you pointed out the pros and cons of the hotel and the area. It's good to point out as you did that getting to midtown is a quick subway ride away.
Have a great holiday.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The room was really nice. The staff was friendly. The safe in my room was busted when I got there but they sent someone to fix it pretty quickly. It is a little far from midtown if that is your main focus but it is a very reasonably priced room, especially considering it is the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Asher F

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that the team response to your request was quick.
Please do come see us again.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here while visiting my son at Union Theological Seminary, which is around the corner. The hotel is nice and clean, has all the amenities but nothing over the top. The thing that sticks out to me about my stay is the horrible attitudes of the staff, who act as if they are going out of their way at every interaction. I regularly stay at W hotels when traveling, but have never experienced such poor customer service. I didn't feel comfortable asking for a wake up call, a bag of ice, or pretty much anything that one would ordinarily ask for while paying $300 a night because I was always met with a resistant attitude. My 2 cents: If you are visiting your child at a nearby school, save your money and either stay at a guest room in their dorm, or go a little farther out to avoid the 'tide for $300+/night.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Going2Aruba2013

Thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Aloft Harlem. I'm glad you enjoyed and like the hotel, but clearly service wise the ball was dropped which I am sorry to hear.
I do hope you come back to stay with us and please feel free to contact a manager to give more details if you would like about your past stay. I certainly would not want one bad apple to spoil or give an impression of the entire team.
You comments are appreciated as they give us a chance to look at our areas of opportunity.
Have a great holiday season.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
#2 of 14 in Bronx
Morningside Inn
Morningside Inn
#442 of 469 in New York City

Been to Aloft Harlem? Share your experiences!