“Great dinner & drinks amidst a funky atmosphere”

MONO+MONO - East Village
Ranked #6,509 of 14,036 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$1 - US$30
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Great Korean style chicken. Must have it if you come here in addition to any of their cocktails. We were there the night of their closing due to fire, but I hear its reopened! Can't wait to return! Service was mediocre, had a female server...I think we interrupted her life, but dont let the hurried and thoughtless waitress keep you from eating here. Check it out, good music too!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

While preparing for this week's New York trip I selected Mono + Mono based on the reviews and a craving for exotic food. It was as described to a tee! I had the Korean Fried Chicken and it was such a nice change from the typical fried chicken I eat back home in Tennessee -- its crunchy, moist inside and full of flavor. Brigitte Grisanti New York Foodie will be back.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Had a good dinner here. They have Bon chon style fried chicken on the menu. It's definitely crispy and tasty. The decor inside is awesome. As others have mentioned the record collection scrolling behind the glass walls is both unique and cool at the same time. Great meal, a little pricy, but I guess we also paid for the ambiance along with the food.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Mono Mono has turned into the my go to place for a good dinner. I love the ambience of it's dark walls and high ceilings. The tables are made of a gorgeous deep wood and the hanging records and floor to ceiling bookcases of them make the place sound and feel hip and trendy without being pretentious. The DJ roost peers over the restaurant; like a lord surveying the lay of his land as his crafts the vibe of the restaurant. Overall, Mono Mono has succeeded in giving itself the look of a jazz and piano bar while serving up an amazing array of food and drink.

The biggest draw here of course are the bon chon korean fried chicken wings. They are SO good. Crunchy (in almost a fluffy kind of way) without being too oily and full of flavor and juciness. My favorite is the soy garlic sauce chicken. They are well worth the wait and I prefer these wings to the ones in overpriced Korea town. Since coming here for their wings I no longer desire American buffalo wings. The pickled radishes that come on the side offer a cleansing taste to the mouth that helps to cut through some of the oiliness that results from the fried chicken.

Pork buns - Very tasty though the bun is a little too oily to me. I still order it though as the sauce inside is quite lovely and I'm a sucker for pork.

Sea Bass - Comes in a SUPER tiny portion (and expensive!) but is DELICIOUS. It is buttery and has an amazingly smooth texture to it. Just thinking about it makes me salivate JUST a little. Having it is a gift of a taste experience. Make sure you have other things coming your way or you'll be hungry still.

Jap Che - Very good and HOT! (In temperature) I wish the portion was a bit bigger.

Seafood Fried Rice - Awesome. Great with the wings if you're asian like me and love your fried chicken with rice. Also delicious on its own.

The sushi rolls are very creative and satisfying. I recommend all of them and the portions here are generous.

Grilled corn on the cob makes for great side to anything that might not feel filling enough. It is not your average ear of corn!

Fries - another satisfying side that comes with some delicious sauces.

Ramen - good and satisfying and well priced to boot!

And of course the BAR! Mono Mono crafts up some deliciously creative cocktails made from their homemade infused soju. The jars of soju soaked fruit on the walls sometimes rotate in for months before being served. And because soju lacks that bitey alcoholic taste, all the cocktails come clearly tasting as well crafted as they are.

This place is truly a favorite stop of mine in the East Village. I haven't been disappointed yet by the helpful and accommodating staff nor the food and drink here.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Is a unusual korean reatsaurant, with a original design, warm and trendy.
We had the korean pancakes and the tofu for appetizer and I wanted to take them twice, they were both delicious.
The glazed fried chicken is really good, but the spicy one was really too spicy, my wife could not feel anything after it. Unless you are used to spicy food, take the honey garlic one, you will enjoy it more. Very good also the beer selection.
Service is very good, friedly and professional.
For sure we will go back next time we are in New York