“Excellent service & a real treasure!!!”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #28 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 March 2011

New York City! Nearly every hotel in this city runs $300 + .and rooms tend to be tiny
the Pearl was the exception
excellent value in a lovely room with great staff and great service
\my only suggestion? ditch the coffee machines.
other than that, 5 star!

thanks so much

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,439)

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stayed at the Pearl with some friends in March 2011 and I'm very satisfied with everything! The room was spacious, comfortable and super clean. The bathroom was modern and spotless. What you see in the pictures is really what you get! The hotel being located in Times Square, it made it fun to be close to action and yet, quiet enough to have a nice sleep. Plus, it's only a 10-15 minutes walk from beautiful Central Park. The free Wi-Fi was very convenient and the complimentary breakfast was better then what I expected (cereal, oatmeal, fruits, bread, bagel, eggs, pancakes, juice, coffee...) Also, I was more than impress with the service we got from the front desk and the Concierge desk. Everyone there, including the doormen, were very helpful and nice. Without a doubt, I would stay at the Pearl again. :-)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2011

This hotel was amazing. The facilities were beautiful and very clean. The hotel employees were super helpful and very friendly. Our room came with complementary breakfast, and a daily wine hour in the afternoons! The hotel was right next to Times Square and in the middle of Broadway, so we could have access to all the touristy attractions. I will definitely be going back to this hotel the next time I'm in NYC.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Just returned from a three night stay the the Pearl....overall, my experience was good. However, I will make a note for anyone who is making a reservation regarding the second floor - which is where I stayed. There are only three rooms on this floor...the rest of the floor is made up of the exercise room, complimentary breakfast room-conference room, restroom . The up side is that during the evening hours it was very quiet, the down side is during the early morning hours you can hear the staff setting up the breakfast room, and you can also hear anyone who is working out on the treadmill. In addition, there is some loud noise coming from adjacent work being done to a future restaurant (hence loud drilling, etc) I did not mind so much because I was in NYC and not in my room most of the time, but if I were to book a room in the near future you might want to consider asking for a room not on the second floor. The staff was hospitable and the room spotless....agree with others on the bathroom products, not great - wish I had brought my own. Location is perfect for theatre action and there is a good food emporium just down the street if you want to bring food back to the room.....wish my weather was better, but never a dull moment in NYC....the Pearl is worth your consideration. Concierge also helpful in getting "sold out" theatre tickets!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2011

So you know how every hotel has photos of their spacious accommodations online for you to see, but when you get there you are disappointed? Well, this will NOT happen to you at The Pearl!!! The photos ARE actually what you get :) The rooms are huge, the bathroom is spotless, and the staff is uber friendly. I stayed there with some co-workers, and was impressed by how well we were treated. There was free wi-fi, a complimentary continental breakfast, and they even had a "wine hour" for their guests to enjoy!
Cleanliness is always at the top of my list when looking for a place to stay...You can stay at The Pearl!!! I was impressed with the clean rooms and hallways. The beds were super comfortable, and we never heard the neighbours (quiet). The hotel staff was amazing...They were always ready to help you with any of your needs...I seriously loved staying at this "Pearl" of a hotel ;)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I wanted to give The Pearl four stars, I really did. But it sucks that many little slip-ups knocked off a full star.

I had a four night stay in room 1001 (Deluxe Queen with Balcony), for which I paid $335 inclusive. Note this room was next to the elevator. Breakfast and free wifi are included which is really great, and I commend the Pearl!

The room was fine in terms of furnishings. But the room is loaded with small design errors that mar the experience.

The closet is very small, and the hangars, umbrella, iron and board, pillows, safe, and robes just take up too much space and it was a pain to get my suit and three other hung items in there.

The toilet paper is a few inches off the ground directly in front of the pot. Next to the commode, where the TP should be, is a towel bar that never had any towels on it.

The bath towels were under the sink while the hand towels were next to the shower\bath. Nothing like dripping across a bathroom looking for a towel...

The showerhead is not adjustable in any way-flow, angle, or spray pattern and that's stupid. There is a hand-held showerhead though, and a handle to adjust the flow to the two outflows. But housekeeping set the controls to "hand-held" and turned the hand-held toward the exterior, so turning on the water resulted in a blast of cold water to my face. Nice!

The (terrible as always) Gilchrist & Soames toiletries were not replaced when empty, and water temperature was inconsistent and required constant adjusting to maintain the desired temperature.

There's a convenient fridge, but inconveniently two doors are required to be opened to access it. There is no bottle opener or corkscrew in the room, and I had to beg the front desk for one (I was sworn to return it immediately). Same with a pair of scissors-the desk simply did not want a guest to actually use its stuff.

The other option was to have a houseman bring one up, but only if I returned it as soon as possible. Bad in a Motel 6, inexcusable for the $300+/nt Pearl.

The lock on the balcony door was broken and did not lock. I asked them to fix it, but they didn't. The next day I asked again, and they did fix it...by locking it shut so I couldn't USE the balcony. Come on, guys!

Otherwise, excellent location and a lovely balcony. Coffee maker in room, HDTV, but a lying guide-many channels listed are not available. How tough is it to have a guide that lists only available stations?

The Lower Lobby level (LL) has an ice machine and an inexpensive vending machine right across from the elevator (otherwise you have to call for ice), and there's a grocery a few steps away for water, bread, snacks, etc.

Not much else to say, really. Nice try, Pearl, but you need to tighten it up some.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank LittleCupcakes
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This is probably one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at. Our room was more than we expected, we had one with a balcony, which was very spacious. This is the first boutique style hotel we have stayed at and I think we much prefer it over a big box chain hotels. From the moment our cab pulled up in front until the time we left, we were treated like royalty. From the 24 hour doorman, front desk and concierge, everyone was welcoming and friendly. The breakfast was a perfect way to start the day. Cereals, oatmeal, juice, breads, fruits, tea and coffee........very tasty and plentiful. Amy and Julie at the Concierge desk were more than helpful with tips on getting around and reservations for dinner. They are a wealth of information. The check-in went smoothly and without any hassles. Our room was just as described. As it was St. Pat's Day, they were booked and everyone checking in seemed to do so without any problems. Various subway stops are only steps away. So it's easy to get around the city. Our room was on the back, so it was very nice and quiet at night. Our room did not have any problems at all. It was much bigger than we had expected, by New York City standards. Nicely furnished, comfy beds, spacious closet with a safe. They do have phones with voicemail so no need for them to come banging on the door, and the maid service never bothered us, we always made sure to put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the doorknob. When we left for the day, we stopped at the front desk to let them know, so they could make up the room. When we got back, it was done.

Tips: They do have an afternoon wine hour from 4 to 5 pm on the second floor.
Ice is on the "LL" level. There you will also find a vending machine with soda and chips and sweets. And reasonably priced, considering most hotels usually gouge you on that stuff.
Down the street going west there is a small grocery store to buy food, drinks, etc.

They are still doing some last minute touch ups on the hotel, but it did not interfere with our visit.

So overall, great place, will stay there again, definitely!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple