“Plusses and Minuses”

Metro Apartments
Melbourne, Australia
“Plusses and Minuses”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The location of this place near Times square and the Theatre District is great when you are getting home at night, but apart from that it is a little bit of a grungy area with athe very loud bus station next door and a construction site across the street. The service fee makes no sense as it is $25 for one night and $50 for a stay longer than that, yet there is no difference in the service you get....basically you get nothing. i was there 9 nights and there was no servicing of the room, changing of bed linen or towels. ALL apartments that I have previously stayed in do a room clean and a towel and linen change weekly. (And it seems you pay for that) This one does not. I guess you can wash your own but it is going to be hard to clean without equipment and supplies.The lobby is fully renovated but they are not using it so you enter through the grubby side office. The people on reception are clueless most of the time.

Bed, TV and kitchenette are good. More cutlery, glasses and plates would be great.

I booked through Expedia which says the rooms all have free WiFi. This is false the WiFi is only in the lobby. When I complained about this on arrival i was rudely told to take it up with Expedia. Customer service is very lacking here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Robwombat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This place sucked. The receptionist looked hungover, the location was in a really bad section of town, the construction site across the street droned on 24/7 (think: loud metal plates banging together at 3 am), the elevator was really slow and the sink got stopped up and spewed black junk back at us. They also charged us a service fee (along with the one CheapHotels.com charged us). There are far better places to say (I am told) in Manhattan for the same price. Don't believe the photos. This place is a dump.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Reading through the other reviews here and seeing some of the photos, I can see that we have been ripped off by presumably paying the standard price and getting an old, unrenovated room with peeling ceiling paint, moldy bathroom, industrial standard soap, almost see-through curtains and on entry, a smoke alarm handing completely off the ceiling! Only good things were the new TV, comfy bed and quiet air-con. No coffee with the coffee percolator. We did pay a budget price for a hotel close to Times Square but am now aware that there are many options at this price level in the same area, which I'm sure would not have been so terrible. Ditto to other reviews here about being near a big bus interchange, highway meeting point and construction site. No formal reception and lifts looked like construction site lifts.
After an over-long time at Newark airport, finally got to hotel to discover that we weren't on their reservation list, even though we had booked and paid in full 6 months before through our travel agent. After some time, we were allocated our old, dingey room and were told to sort things out in the morning.
Not a great stay and won't be back here again.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in a renovated room but on looking at some of the pics here, I'd highly recommen...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alice_Steve_B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2012

A view of blcch to start... no room service... we make our own bed (some vacation!)... one elevator was out then the second one went out! We climbed the stairs... not a problem, except for the health issues my husband has! While taking a shower the water went out due to a main break. The ceiling is "cottage cheese" with leak marks... The in-room phones don't work.

The Metro is represented as newly remodeled... please! Given we came to NYC for a good time, we weren't going to let this unaccommodating experience bring us down. Our advice....save a little more money for a better hotel! We are still fighting to get some compensation from this so-called respit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah R
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My mom, sister and I spent 2 weeks staying at the Metro Apartment, and it defiantly made our first trip to New York even more enjoyable. We stayed in a newly renovated apartment on the 13th floor, while you could still hear the noise of the traffic, it's what we expected staying in such a busy city.
It was wonderful having the kitchenette as it meant we didn't have to eat out all the time. And the beds were so comfy, we all agreed that they were as comfy as being at home.
My only complaint is that for 3 women staying for 2 weeks, we defiantly didn't have enough towels!
A special thank you to Chris who worked on the front desk, a wonderful friendly gentleman who was more than happy to assist and comfort when I arrived alone in a new city after my mom and sister's flight were delayed, thanks again Chris!
We would defiantly recommend the apartments.

Room Tip: The rooms are only cleaned on departure, but the front desk are more than happy to lend you a broom...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tammy B
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel/apartments is currently renovating, but we were lucky enough to get two rooms on floors that were already finished. It is very modern and looks very much like they took their design straight from an Ikea catalogue (no harm there). The location was great other then being right next to the bus terminal, but if you can get over the traffic it's well worth it. There is a grocery store a block away and we were no further then a 10 minute walk from the pier. There is current cunstruction of the subway taking place that will not be complete for a while so ensure you can sleep through that (they do work 24 hrs a day). Getting around on the subway was a breeze from where we were and walking to time square took no time either. We felt safe our entire stay and would certainly reccomend the hotel to groups of friends or people with children.

Room Tip: The floors from 9 and up seem to have been renovated. Stay in those they are far nicer!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Josie M
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Originally booked this place through H*t*ls.com for Sept '10. At the time they did not have any reviews but was in the area where I wanted to stay and explore. There was construction going on and was willing to put up with it (it is the big city after all). What I couldn't stand or put up with was the $50/day cleaning fee which was not mentioned on the website. I told the "front desk" that I would not stay because it wasn't mentioned and that I would like a refund. They said that they could not do anything and they would charge the night stay anyway because it was not their fault. The website also said it wasn't their fault, but I didn't give up and asked to speak with a higher up. Got issue resolved and stayed at another hotel which was close by. Even though I didn't wind up staying here I wanted to give my impressions of what I did see/experience.

The apartment building was next door to or at least adjacent to some sort of college/school. Upon entering you are first greeted by a "security guard"...the desk was in an odd place and if I didn't ask around there was no way I would have found the office to be able to check-in. They were doing work on the elevator lobby which I passed before getting to the office where there were a few ladies working the phones and speaking in both English and Russian. The person in charge was not available to help with my situation but left my name and number and told them that I would not be staying. Well the rest of the story is as stated before. Perhaps if the price were right I might consider it, but highly unlikely.

Room Tip: For the price, make sure to shop around as there are quite a few choices in the area. It's in th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Beenaround73
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
I am sorry that your first experience with Metro Apartments was not a pleasant experience.

There is a posting on the booking website that you used that mentions the the $50 cleaning fee.

I have been made aware of the issues that you have been mentioned and I am feverishly working on correcting them all in the upcoming weeks.

Please visit us again.