“Good value for central NYC”
Review of Metro Apartments

and 1 more site!
Metro Apartments
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Reviews of these apartments tend to be quite mixed, so I was a bit wary when I booked my stay here for 5 nights, particularly at the prices (~500GBP/~750USD at that time), quite a bargain for this part of NYC). One of the main reasons I opted to stay here was that every room came with an en-suite bathroom (sharing bathrooms is still very common in a space-confined NYC), and of course the location.

The staff were friendly and the room was basic, but spacious, comfortable and functional. A/C worked well. It took a while to work the TV, but I probably watched less than an hour during my whole stay (who needs TV in NYC?). Wi-fi internet was available in my room, despite claims that there's only wired access. En-suite and kitchenette were as described (didn't use the kitchenette much though; I just ate out). Excellent location, though. Times Square is on your doorstep, and all the Broadway theatres are within walking distance. Better still, pretty much every subway line passes through Times Square or Grand Central, and you can get to pretty much anywhere in the city from here.

On the other side, the towels/bedding weren't changed (not an issue for 5 nights, but 2 weeks here may be a bit of stretch). To be honest, you wouldn't expect that in apartments anyway. There was a cleaning surcharge and, in my case, tax to be paid in cash on arrival so be prepared (adding a cleaning surcharge is a bit of a cheek when there's no daily cleaning, to be honest, but it's still good value). Complaints about traffic noise were a common criticism, but you'll probably get that anywhere in Central Manhattan! I really didn't find it an issue. The decor in the room wasn't great, but again I had no major complaints about it.

If you want a hotel (not self-catering apartments) near Times Square, stump up and pay for something better. If you can't afford that, then you need to compromise on location or service. If you're happy to do away with room service and daily room cleaning for a short stay (which really shouldn't be a problem), then this is a bargain. I'd happily return if I did need to be near Times Square again, but you'll probably get better bargains if you dare to move about a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank ChristopherP715

Reviewed 11 October 2012

If a picture is worth a thousand words - here's 10,000 :) ........ although the beds were comfortable, overall the rooms were terrible and dirty, only one of the two elevators which kinna worked, it just had no light to indicate which floor it stopped at. The light in the kitchen area did not work - it was reported to the staff, but never fixed. No phone in the room. Could hear everything from the next room. For two days there was awful smell of sewer in the hallway.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room if you have to stay here!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HomelyPig
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This is a hard review to write because we broke the rule that says you should complain to the staff and give them a chance to put things right. We didn't do that because we already knew they were fully booked and there wasn't actually anything they could have done to change things. The room was shabby and outdated, but it was clean, and it was noisy because it was right next to a construction site which started work at 7am weekdays. So they couldn't have moved us to a different apartment and they couldn't have shut down a construction site for the New York subway extension.

Also to put it in context the United Nations Conference that was happening meant that loads of hotels were full or very expensive so this was a relatively good value option, although not cheap.

The good points are that the staff are good, helpful and friendly and there at the front desk 24/7. And the location is good as there are plenty of good bars and restaurants on 9th Avenue nearby. The lobby area is nice, and there are some interesting books about NYC to look at. The communal areas are all clean and well kept and the bed was comfortable.

The bad stuff is that we were there for a week and one of the two elevators was permanently out of service, leading to delays, especially when the cleaning staff were using it.

The apartment itself was pretty poor, and to call it an apartment just isn't true - it was an averagely sized room with an old fashioned sink/cooker unit and microwave to the side. There wasn't room for a table and chairs to eat at, only a desk with an office chair and a weird padded deck chair type seat. The fixtures were old and shabby with exposed electical fixtures like junction boxes.

There was poorly fixed secondary glazing to the door to the balcony with bits peeling off the frame where strips of wood had been nailed down. There were chips and marks all over the walls near the floor and a fridge that looked like it came from the 1950s (although it worked well).

The bathroom was the worst part with mould patches and a filthy air vent above the shower - which was just a curtain over the bath. The floor tiles had been patched up with paste which had been left in lumps.

The 'wardrobe' was just an alcove with a rail above, and there were no drawers at all to put clothes in so we had to keep things in suitcases.

Nobody goes to NYC for a quiet holiday - the constant sound of cars honking is just part of the experience. But at 7am every morning the vehicles from the construction site right oppositte would start bleeping and didn't stop until 4pm. The air conditioning unit was really noisy and old and seemed to need a service.

There was a balcony but there were no chairs to sit on and admire the view of the construction site, and the flock of about 500 pigeons which swarmed constantly were a bit of a worry in terms of getting unwated additions to your clothes and hair!

I feel bad about writing this review because we had an amazing holiday and the accommodation didn't spoil it at all - you're never going to go to NYC and spend long periods of time in your room!

We've been to NYC loads of times but we'd never go back to Metro Apartments.

Room Tip: Not 8K on the 8th floor!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Faddywaddy
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at Metro Apartments for 1 week in August 2012. I was very nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews. We were pleasantly surprised with our choice. We checked in really easy and quickly around 7.30pm. Our un-renovated was on the 7th floor, 7A i think. The room was so spacious. We had almost everything we needed. The kitchenette was fantastic. So good to be able to start the day with your own breakfast. I did however rewash the dishes and utensils before using them as I noticed they weren't as clean as I would like. The coffee pot, fridge, hot water and stove were all excellent. I would have liked to have a couch in the room rather than a desk. The bathroom was old and a little cracked but clean and in perfect working order. Like most have mentioned, the area is really noisy, but i cant see how anything can be done about that. Yes most nights we did wake up to loud trucks and buses or a very random delivery time for the construction site across the road, but hey, its the city that never sleeps. The air conditioning does drown out some of the noise though. During our stay I found every staff member lovely and more than willing to share some local knowledge. Metro apartments is in such a good location too. We walked everywhere and never felt unsafe despite the area being a little rough. If you're not after a 5 star experience and want and affordable place to stay I would highly recommend Metro Apartments.

Room Tip: Don't stress if you don't get a renovated room. The old ones are just fine.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hope J
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The Metro Apartments isn't like a hotel, exactly, you're leasing an apartment for a period of time. After several previous trips to NYC in which I'd stayed on the East side, midtown, in a shoe-box sized room, I wanted something bigger and with facilities to at least store food and even cook or heat food up. My apartment (and you get a real door key not a swipe card) was huge compared to the hotel room I usually stayed in. I had a queen sized comfortable bed; a built in wardrobe, a bathroom with a shower over a tub and vanity unit; a kitchenette with fridge, microwave, hotplates, cutlery, pots, pans and crockery for four people; a large bureau and a balcony. Being on my own, I found I had plenty of room and it was great to be able to eat a healthy breakfast in the apartment before heading out for the day instead of buying breakfast out somewhere - saved money too. The reception area is newly renovated and the staff are very helpful and pleasant, especially Dave who knows where to get good pizza at weird hours. My apartment seemed to be one of the ones that they haven't quite gotten around to renovating yet - I kind of felt like I was back in the late 80's a little but it didn't matter. My apartment was on the third floor and next time I might ask for one higher up (they have 13 floors) as my balcony was directly level with the flyover to the Lincold Tunnel - but I still had no problem sleeping at night as the windows seem to be double-glazed and having the air-con going drowned out any traffic noise. I'm a light sleeper and had come prepared with earplugs but didn't need them. The block the Metro Apartments is on is in, shall we say, a less than salubrious neighbourhood but once you walk one block north to 42nd St and about half a block over, things improve markedly. I found the location very convenient indeed - take the cross-town bus on 42nd over to Grand Central to get trains to anywhere or to one of the North-South avenues to get buses and, of course, Times Square is right around the corner. You have to pay a cleaning fee of $58 when you arrive, for the cleaning of the apartment after you leave. While you're there, you look after yourself - if you need new towels, sheets, toilet paper, whatever, you can ring down for it or go downstairs and ask for it but there's no daily room servicing like in a hotel. I was happy to look after myself and valued the privacy so this was no problem for me. There are plenty of places around to buy food including a Food Emporium one block up on 42nd so if you don't want to eat out every night, you can cook for yourself. I really liked the Metro, especially having so much more space, and will definitely make this my regular place to stay for future trips. It was also considerably less expensive than my previous hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JAM66Sydney
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Stayed here for a week in September - great location, close to Times Square, Hell's Kitchen and subway access. The apartment was spacious, well furnished and very clean. We found every member of staff to be very pleasant, helpful and friendly - would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We have just returned from seven nights in a studio at the Metro Apartments. What a fantastic hotel/apartment! Loads of room, great view over the city. Yes, it's loud, but it's New York! Nothing bad to say about this accommodation. Located close to Times Sq and other attractions, and with easy access to subway and buses. Clean accommodation and couldn't hear guests in rooms around us.

Staff were friendly enough and had lots of information for us if we needed it. Also could leave bags with hotel on last day whilst we did some last minute sightseeing before returning to the airport.

If you want a clean, spacious hotel with all the modern amenities, this is your place! If you want room service... not so much... but who needs room service in New York City?

Looking forward to staying again soon

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor, which was lovely. Can't speak for anywhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple