“Once Was Enough”

Metro Apartments
Choctaw, Oklahoma
“Once Was Enough”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I guess the high rating is because of the location, which was convenient to the theater district. I liked the concierge staff and the bed was comfy, but the room was austere, like a Motel 6 in need of renovation. And LOUD traffic all night. Fortunately, that doesn't particularly bother me, but there was a loud thumping all night the first night, like maybe drums from a nearby band, and that did interfere with my sleep. I heard another guest discussing the room with the desk clerk, and I inferred there were nicer rooms, but mine was not one of them. I did have a small kitchenette, so if I had been so inclined, I could have cooked in my room and saved on eating out.

The neighborhood was just on the edge of an area where guidebooks recommend not walking at night (8th and 42nd).

I'll pay a little more next time, to stay somewhere a little nicer next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at the Metro Apartments in February 2014 We all enjoyed our stay, and really liked.

The property is well maintained and very clean. We can before 3 pm without problems they let us check-in. They offer some of the lowest prices in Manhattan. All of the staff members were very friendly and helpful.

The room was medium sized and looked recently updated. It was clean and well maintained.There is a medium size flat screen television.They have an iron and a desk and chair. The beds and pillows were comfortable.Includes in-room WIFI, which had a good signal.

The bathroom was small size. It was well maintained and clean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jlgc2X
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked Metro Apartments based on its location and the independence of it being apartments rather than a hotel. It certainly is in a great spot, being central, close to subway stations, only minutes from Times Square and an easy walk to other attractions too. The apartments are spacious, clean and comfortable with everything you need to hand.

What really made it for us however was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and, in particular Joe at reception. Everything we needed to know was explained on arrival, Joe made reservations at attractions for us, offered advice on places to go and we were able to leave our bags after check out on the final day until our departure. This welcoming, helpful attitude really made the difference and it's great to come back to such a comfortable place after a day in the hustle and bustle of the city.

As other reviews say, it can be a little noisy here because of the traffic outside. However, the beds are so comfortable and the rooms are kept warm at all times, so the noise is really a minor issue and the location makes it worthwhile.

All in all this is a great choice if you're looking to spend a few days (or more) exploring the city. Theatre Row Diner just round the corner on 42nd street is also a good place to eat.

• Stayed February 2014
Newfoundland
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Would definitely stay here again. Building is located immediately at the exit from Washington tunnel on the edge of the Theatre District. Apartment had everything we needed for a short stay except laundry facilities. It was very, very clean with modern furnishings and fixtures. We had a one-bedroom unit that had two queen-sized beds so it was perfect for a family of four. Small, pristine, well-equipped kitchen with small fridge, cooktop (no oven) and microwave. Bathroom was lovely with modern tile and glass shower, wading-pool type vanity. Initially I thought there was no mirror in the bathroom until I closed the second door to the bedroom and saw it had a full length mirror on back of it. Unit has a small balcony, nice on sunny mornings to watch the city come alive. I would definately stay here again as the price was fantastic and the unit impeccable.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank quietbeachgirl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

As a group of 5 we chose Metro Apartments as it was good value for money and also a 10 minute walk from all the action in Times Square.

As soon as we arrived we were delighted with the service from the staff. Our room was immaculate, equipped with WIFI, a plasma tv and a balcony with a view of the empire state building.

The kitchenette was useful with an electric hob, toaster and kettle. Beds were comfy as was the sofa, tea/coffee and cakes were provided in reception each morning, however there was a great Theater Row diner which served a great breakfast only 2 minutes from Metro Apartments.

Metro Apartments was only 5 minutes walk from Port Authority which meant we were able to get in and around NYC very easily.

The staff were great particularly Suzad, Chris, Joe and Nate who went out of there way to make our stay great, from giving directions to arranging transport to the airport.

We were extremely satisfied with our stay and will choose Metro Apartments if we return to NYC.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank SobiaH
SANTA BARBARA
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed here on a business trip because we needed a kitchen for cooking. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and we up-graded to a suite w/ kingsize bed. The kitchen is really a kitchenette (two burner stove, microwave but no oven, and small frig w/ tiny freezer). The biggest complaint, which is probably endemic to Manhattan was the noise. The rooms walls are not that thick and the street noise was horrific (and we were on the 10th floor). However, I guess that's why God invented ear plugs. Overall given the location and price, if you aren't really sensitive to noise and aren't a gourmet, this place is pretty good. However, given the lack of rooms with kitchens and the price we paid, I'd probably stay again if I am forced to go back to NY.

Room Tip: Stay on the 41st streets side, the other side is even noisier.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Artgilbert
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at the Metro Apartments for a week in September while my husband was in town for a medical procedure. For this stay, I needed somewhere that (a) was close to transportation and gave me access to various areas of the city, (b) affordable, and (c) gave me the option of cooking my own food (I couldn't afford to eat out for every meal). Metro Apartments provided all these things.

The location is convenient - very close to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which makes it really accessible. The area itself leaves a little to be desired - the streets feel a little uncomfortable to walk around in the late evenings with panhandlers and vagrants on 41st street - I learnt quickly to walk up 42nd and then down 9th.

However, the room was a good size, clean, and affordable. I was given one of the renovated rooms on one of the upper floors facing 9th/40th. I'm a light sleeper so I was a little concerned after reading the reviews here that the noise from the highway would disturb my sleep, but with the air conditioner humming quietly, I really didn't have any problems at all.

The kitchenette was really convenient and I was able to save a lot of money in meals - I just picked up some groceries from Food Emporium on 42nd/43rd (you can enter from either street) between 9th and 10th. It was also a bonus to have access to the coin-operated laundry onsite.

The front-desk staff were friendly and helpful. They called a car service for us on the first morning when we needed to get the hospital, and they provided me directions & information on a couple of occasions.

In short, it really isn't the kind of place to stay at if you're looking for somewhere right in the action with nearby restaurants and entertainment. I wouldn't choose this for a luxury vacation or even a weekend getaway, but it was exactly what I needed for this particular trip.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for one of the higher floors. I can't speak for the non-re...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tara W
GM440, General Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Tara W,

I appreciate your review very much. This information is very valuable to helping us improve property operations. I am also very happy the property met your needs for this trip. I noticed you mentioned we were not near the action. We are only three blocks from Times Square, and 6 blocks from restaurant row. We are very central to all of nightlife, transportation, and dining in Midtown Manhattan. Please see our reception staff and they will be happy to introduce you to our surrounding area and all of its splendour.

Metro Apartments