“Constant Requests for Money while providing the tour”

City Sightseeing New York Hop On - Hop Off
The Sightseeing Flex Pass New York City
Ranked #125 of 620 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy the best of the Big Apple using a single convenient ticket! Sit back and relax while our knowledgeable tour guides describe the history and background of New York City. This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in full New York City experience, all from the comfort of a double-decker bus. Plus, with unlimited hop-on hop-off access you can take your time exploring as many of the neighborhoods and sites as you’d like!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Constant Requests for Money while providing the tour”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I love history and with a close friend, we decided to have a great experience by taking the Hop On and Hop off Tour bus around New York City before we returned home. We purchased our tickets on the street for the Downtown Bus Tour. The guide seemed pretty knowledgeable and his anecdotes were great. However, he pressured everyone on the bus to tip before they "hopped off." His anecdotes were also peppered with the importance of tipping. At the end of the tour, the guide stood in front of the door with a large shopping bag and asked again, for everyone to tip before they left. This made me very uncomfortable. I would have tipped without being pushed to do so. Everyone tipped because we could not get by. Perhaps there are different tours in New York to take, but this is not one I would recommend to others.

Visited November 2013

• Vietnamese first
Montreal, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Nice tour - saw places I wouldn't have seen otherwise”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

As they say in some forums "Your Mileage May Vary"... the guide makes or breaks the tour.
Make sure to take the RED bus, all other companies have less buses, service is less frequent, which kind of destroys the whole hop-on/hop-off purpose.

Went with my elderly mom, we enjoyed the sights (I would never have taken the metro that far) and the explanations. Hopped off at St. John the Divine, beautiful church, reminiscent of the ones in Europe.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank YulLu
Sydney, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A disgrace to say the least!!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This would have to be the worst tour company in New York. If anything this company tarnishes the great city of New York and all it has to offer.

We bought a 2 day pass which they upgraded for 3 days.....no wonder!! With the limited number of buses available (not sure there are more than 3 available for the whole city!!!) we needed more than 3 days simply waiting for buses that never came!!! We were told the buses ran every 10 minutes!!

We couldn't even get to the Brooklyn route as there was no connecting bus from Central Park to get the on time to meet the Brooklyn bus!!

An absolute farce and joke!!

One of the team leaders that turned up to the night tour after I and many others demanded turn up told me that that I was welcome not to join the tour if I chose to!! He was rude and arrogant and non caring about customer service of any standard!

When I asked for a refund I was laughed at. When I asked for a refund via their website they offered to extend the valid date of my tickets for 24 months!!!

I wouldn't get on one of their buses even if they paid me to do so ......why would I waste my valuable time in such an amazing city waiting for buses that just don't go!!

The tour guides had no idea what they were talking about and the equipment was either non existent or non operational.

No way would I recommend this tour group under any desperate circumstances. What a waste of my money!! There were 8 of us in our group......all very unhappy!!

Love NY though......best city in the world!!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank vivian k
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“heartily recommended”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

i had some free time in the mornig when i arrived in new york, as my flight landed real early. i chose a day pass on grayline tours and started with the downtown loop at about 8.30 am.the morning was real chilly, but it was great sitting on the top deck and hearing about all the stories about new york. ive been to this city so many times, but going on this tour was well worth it cause it feels like i now the the city so much better.later i took the uptown tour which wasnt that great, but it gave me a chance to get off at the met museum, which saved me a lot of cab fare money.overall a great way to know about new york city.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank farhadtk
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great way to see the city”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We took the blue bus somewhat hessitatingly due to comments in regards to having to tip at every step.
However we did do longer trips and was genuinely happy to tip depending on the commentary. Hop on hop off is an easy way to see the New York City. Buying tickets online is cheaper than buying from street vendors for children. Adults street vendors may be cheaper.

1 Thank gjoz