“GO HOP -------NEVER”

The Sightseeing Day Pass New York City
Ranked #125 of 610 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy the best of the Big Apple using a single convenient ticket! Sit back and relax while our knowledgeable tour guides describe the history and background of New York City. This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in full New York City experience, all from the comfort of a double-decker bus. Plus, with unlimited hop-on hop-off access you can take your time exploring as many of the neighborhoods and sites as you’d like!
Greystones
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“GO HOP -------NEVER”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We bought a day ticket from Go Hop (Green Jackets) - what a mistake. No ear phones, could not hear guide (who stood upstairs with us) over the traffic. Does not stop anywhere near the attractions, got very little information. We got off in Soho, walked through China Town, Little italy and then on to 9/11 Memorial. There's no bus stop signposted in any area around 9/11. We phoned the head office and told to walk back to where we got off although there should have been a stop/pick up on the corner of Wall Street. We walked back to Soho (about 2 miles) and caught a bus which did not take the scenic route down to the statue of Liberty or Battery Park but went right up to the docks and piers and straight back to 42nd street (near Time Sq.) I asked the bus driver if he was going to Madison Sq. Gdns only to be told that he was finished here and off duty. I asked when the next bus was only to be told I had to walk to Macys about half hour walk. I was fuming. The 3 tickets cost 96 Dollars for 24 hours. What a RIP OFF - NEVER NEVER NEVER use them.

2 Thank GreystonesDee

• Vietnamese first
Fife, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Looks like a good idea; bad in practice. AVOID!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We bought the 72 hour gray line all tours passes at nearly $350 for five. We thought it would be great to get to and from all the sights. WRONG! It is very slow, uncomfortable, unreliable and poor value for money. Even the headphone system doesn't work in one in three seats...Walk where you can. Get a subway (they are safe these days). If needs be take a taxi and close your eyes.

This was our single big mistake in New York. And as if $350 is not enough, all the guides expect a tip. One even remonstrated with my wife after he was handed a dollar after we had travelled 2 stops on the bus. The guy could hardly speak English, was rude to customers. Others were better, but none were welcoming or helpful.

2 Thank Mandelbrot
britishcolumbi
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“good for a city overview but not as transportation”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently went to New york with my 17 year old daughter and on the advice of many, started out using the subway system. The subway was very easy to figure out but our first mistake was not to buy the unlimited week pass. thinking we were only there for 4 and 1/2 days, we weren't sure it was worth it but it definitely would have been. Everytime you come out of the subway, you need to pay another 2.50 (the instructions read that re-entry was free under 2 hours but apparently this is not the case).
Anyways after 2 days of subway, I really did not feel we were getting the big picture of New York. My husband and I had been in New York for 1 day, 20 years ago and had found it an amazing way to get the most out of the city.
We bought a 48 hour pass from Gray Line which was a minimal upgrade from 24 hour and also included 5 areas of the city. We ended up only doing the uptown and downtown tours as it takes ALOT of time. The route only goes one way so what is a 15 minute walk can take over 2 hours on the bus if the route is going the wrong way.
Many of the tour guides are great. I got off at Macy's and was sorry I had to because I was getting so many amazing stories from the woman who was leading the tour. Another tour guide we had did not require a mike to hear him on the top of the bus which was a plus - no ear phones (bring your own)! There was one particular guide I could not hear, nor could I understand with his accent so we chose to get off the bus and wait for the next one. But for the most part, guides were informative and interesting with their stories (ie: one was a retired teacher who taught Marissa Tomei) and their obvious love of the city.
Even though it was cold and rained for a bit, we opted to sit up top (they provided us with rain ponchos as it was a better view. The obstructed windows below on the outside did not really affect your ability to see out but just gave less of a panoramic view.
We usually did not have trouble finding a seat on the long weekend and one time when it was particularly full, an empty bus came from behind and picked us up. Of important note is ALL the bus tour companies are run by the same company so if you're stuck with full buses, they're happy to let you ride on their "competitor's" bus.
I was glad we did the tour to give my daughter an overview but now having more of a sense of the city, I would definitely buy the weeklong pass for the subway on my next visit to New York.

2 Thank familyof42teens
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Waste of money - don't stop at all stops or go at frequency promised”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

When I complained to Gray Line this is what I got back: "Gray Line NY reserves the right to cancel or change any tours schedules or rates and to cancel or substitute routes and stops on any tour without notice.”
In my experience they do and they do not refund or reschedule when they do. Wasted a whole day of my parents NY vacation and in the end we gave up and paid for taxis as well.
If I could give this zero I would. My parents were visiting and my mom can't walk that far so we paid over $160 for tickets for the Hop-on Hop-off (FYI all the buses for the men selling tickets on the street are the same company - Gray Line). Advice from someone who lives here... GET A CAB. Cabs in NY are cheap. Also, Gray Line is so unethical, they don't stop at all the stops on the map they give you or as frequently as they say. We took the bus for one stop, got off and walked to the next one. We waited for an hour, I called them and they said they weren't "currently" stopping at that stop. We were told to walk to another stop, a long way when the point was that my mom couldn't walk far. We caught taxis the rest of the day. All up taxis in NY cost us about $30.
Don't waste your money.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Mgor016
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Constant Requests for Money while providing the tour”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I love history and with a close friend, we decided to have a great experience by taking the Hop On and Hop off Tour bus around New York City before we returned home. We purchased our tickets on the street for the Downtown Bus Tour. The guide seemed pretty knowledgeable and his anecdotes were great. However, he pressured everyone on the bus to tip before they "hopped off." His anecdotes were also peppered with the importance of tipping. At the end of the tour, the guide stood in front of the door with a large shopping bag and asked again, for everyone to tip before they left. This made me very uncomfortable. I would have tipped without being pushed to do so. Everyone tipped because we could not get by. Perhaps there are different tours in New York to take, but this is not one I would recommend to others.

4 Thank tgueoryInDC