“Brilliant food and service”
Review of Hillstone Midtown

Hillstone Midtown
Ranked #359 of 13,637 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Midtown
“Brilliant food and service”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was recommended by our hotel (Broadway Plaza) as it was close and served burgers that the kids could eat. This place is amazing we had the Hillstone burger x 3 and 2 x veggie burgers. I am not a veggie but wife and daughter are and these are real veggie burgers (I am told) that are really amazing and tasty. The Hillstones are brilliant big portions ($20 each) and the main is enough for a healthy appetite. So good we returned the next night. The service was excellent and the dinning experience amazing though the restaurant was packed you felt that you could could eat and not be overheard. Really top notch wish we has somewhere like this in the UK.

• Visited May 2014

New York City, New York
“Who knew?”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Though I had been in the bookstore upstairs a thousand times through the years I had no idea this place existed until an out of town friend made a reservation. Very immature staff and we felt we were checking in for our Big Macs rather than for the $49.00 strip steak. Although we had a reservation we had to wait another 20 minutes with no place to wait except the stairs. My wife eventually asked for a chair and they brought her one for the wait, which was a kind of first for us. In any case, we were seated in a pleasant enough place and our server was extremely attentive and professional. I asked for a martini with a twist and got something that tasted of lemonade, since the bartender seemed to have confused a martini with ice-tea and put in more of a lemon wedge than a twist. But since it is getting harder to find a decent martini in New York anymore without sending detailed instructions to the bar, the fault was mine. The food was okay in a generic sort of way. Nothing to complain about, but one gets the feel that just like big agriculture, and big pharma, we are entering the world of big food. After eating the sushi here one laments the passing of Aki sushi on West 4th and all the other little, interesting places that can't afford the big rents anymore. I guess to pay the rent on that much square footage in midtown they have to produce a generic product that hits the right profit margin. If this is the future for New York, eat elsewhere while you still can (and for half the price).

• Visited May 2014
Edwardsville, Illinois
“Excellent dinner and service”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I recently visited NYC to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. We had a free night and decided to try Hillstone since it was close to our hotel and is part of the same company that owns Houstons which we like a lot. The food and service at this restaurant were outstanding. Even though our anniversary was the day before, one of the other customers at the bar who we had been speaking with made them aware of the reason for our trip and they surprised us with a free dessert with a candle on top, etc. I highly recommend this restaurant, but suggest a reservation since it was very crowded, even on a Thursday night.

Visited April 2014
Washington, DC
“Still very good even though they dropped the Houston's name.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've been dining here off and on for years while visiting NYC. It's still popular and has long waits during dinner. I had dinner at the bar on a Saturday night because the wait was too long. They've discontinued their great house salad with the bacon and eggs, etc. and have replaced it with a smaller salad with beets, tomatoes, lettuce. At least they still have their famous honey mustard dressing. I had the chicken entrée which was great and the Tres Leches cake for dessert. This was formerly Houston's restaurant before they went more upscale and changed their menu, prices and name. Hillstone is the parent company's name. You see fewer restaurants with the Houston's name as compared to 20+ years ago.

• Visited April 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“So good!!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Icelandic Cod was superb. Spinach artichoke dip - better than any I have had. I'm glad I asked for recommendations because our waiter was spot on! Loved the piano (trio). Had great ambiance. If you love Houston's, this is the place to go. Desserts could use a little creativity

• Visited April 2014