“Central Excellent Hotel.”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #91 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend break.staff were very friendly and more than helpful. Easy check- in / check- out .
Hotel kept our bags safe as we had a late afternoon flight. The position close to Rockafellacentre is close and handy for all the buzz of New York.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,954)

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I loved my small but functional and well designed room, the comfy bed, clean bathroom, free chilled water available on my floor, coffee lounge facilities (great idea) and being able to print out boarding passes in coffee area. All great initiatives! I also really liked the small but functional lobby "corridor" and the way the hotel front desk staff dressed expressively and creatively, like extras on a movie set, rather than uniformly and blandly. My only issue, after paying a lot of money for 2 nights stay for a mini Queen room was to not be able to have a late checkout of a couple of hours - I thought this was a bit mean considering how much I had spent and that I was an overseas traveller and solo traveller. I had to pay for the extra 3 hours to keep my bags (really) for my taxi ride to bus station and next destination. Overall, however, despite this, a very positive experience and a hotel I would be happy to recommend to other single, female travellers. Radio City was near, Fire Department quirky little Museum was near, shops were near, a brilliant place to explore NYC from and ease gently into the city (important for "out of towners" from quiet places like me).

Room Tip: I loved facing the Rockefeller and being on the 2nd floor. I felt a part of this wonderful city...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I usually look for a deal when I go to New York but always try to stop in a nice hotel and The Jewel fits the bill. Excellent location and smart rooms and for the price you could not ask for more. The hotel has a nice lounge area with internet access for guests and on each floor there is a store cupboard containing items for guests so no need to hassle the front desk. It seems like early days for the hotel and everybody there is trying to find there feet but I'm sure in time things will run very smoothly, to be fair to the staff when I emailed before my visit they got back to me really quickly which was nice. But I must say that my favourite feature of the hotel is the free purified water on each floor, you just take a bottle and then fill it with ice cold water and its an excellent feature. I was going to bed with a bottle of water instead of a soda and that is a good thing. Will definitely consider returning when I go back to New York.

Room Tip: Think ahead when leaving as finding a taxi on this part of the street can sometimes be difficult.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed here recently with my boyfriend and I have to say we could not fault this hotel.

Check in was very fast and efficient, the only small issue here would be being charged $35 to check in early after having already paid over $1000 for 3 nights.

The room was very pleasent, it was on the 15th floor so we could not hear the traffic below. The room was small but there was sufficient room for our bags and to walk around. The bathroom was very spacious.
You do need to take another lift from the 14th to the 15th floor and it is very slow, so once we had our cases in the room we used the stairs for the remainder, there are really only 8 steps so this would not be a problem for many people.

The location is amazing, loctaed right off 5th Ave beside the Rockerfeller so there are plenty of restaurants in this area.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This boutique hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Rockerfeller Center, near 5th Avenue shopping, restaurants, Central Park, etc. It's also walking distance to Times Square and other attractions. We were warmly greeted by the front desk clerk whom was very efficient and friendly. One note, the front desk area is very small and if you walk in too quickly you may miss it. We stayed in a Junior Suite with our 15 year old daughter. The room was spacious for three people. It was very clean and we were happy to find lots of pillows on our bed. The bathroom was well stocked with extra bath towels and toiletries. There wasn't a bathtub, however the shower was large and the shower head was height-friendly (adjustable) with good water pressure. We liked that the hotel has a free water bottle dispenser on every floor and guest living room with Internet computers, a fully stocked Keurig coffee machine, newspaper, magazines and a large screen tv. The hotel also a "guest" closet on every floor next to the bottled water dispenser that holds irons, ironing boards, towels, coffee, etc. for guests to help themselves and not have to call and wait for housekeeping. This was our first visit to NYC and we will definitely stay at The Jewel again...don't pass up this gem!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LeannefiveO
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I over research hotels when travelling. However, when I landed on this site, I had a good feeling and boy, was I right. My husband told me several times during our trip that the hotel was a great pick! The other reviews mention the free chilled water on each floor (we were there when it was in the high 90s and this was greatly appreciated). We spent much of our time at Rock Center, catching the Today Show and catching the Cirque du Soleil show at Radio City Music Hall. My husband and his son attended a Yankees game and the subway to the Bronx was convenient. We had a 11 pm flight out and the staff held our bags. They even let us get to them multiple times after we checked out. They also ordered a car for us, which was $60 to JFK. Unfortunately, we did not use it, as our flight was cancelled at 5 pm. They let me use the lobby and internet to hash out ur return trip. Since we could not leave that night, I asked if there was hotel availability. The front desk attendant called her hotel manager to see what they could do for us. Not having any openings, they DID find a hotel 3 doors down and held rooms for us. The Jewel was superb and even after we had transportation difficulties and had checked out, they treated us well.

1  Thank judyannwest
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Everything was perfect.
Clean, updated, 2nd floor had a living area to hang out ( t.v. computers, bathroom, coffee machine ) was fantastic.
5th floor has laundry and a great gym
Beds.. so comfortable! Warning.. all the pillows are VERY soft.
Moderately price , given the location.
The ONLY issue was the front desk young lady, Leara? I think was her name.
We checked in and she said our room would be ready in 20 minutes. So we went out in the hot sun and came back in 20 minutes. Leara then said our room wasn't ready and it will be ready in 15 minutes. We came back in 15 minutes , Leara then said our room will be ready in 20 minutes. Finally, we just took off and didn't come back until 2 hours later ( sunburnt ) and our room was ready. When we checked out, Leara didn't even say thank you or asked us how our stay was. Kinda ruined the good vib of our experience of this hotel. I hope management has a conversation with this front desk person. I would give the rating 5 stars but, well .. not quite.

Room Tip: we had a room facing Rockefeller Center. I think you can't go wrong on any of the rooms.