“Excellent location, staff and room”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #114 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent location, staff and room”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I spent 3 days at The Jewel with my 6-year-old niece and 12-year-old nephew. The location couldn't be more convenient for my young visitors' first NYC trip. I followed Tripadvisor reviewer advise and paid a little extra for a front-facing room. When I arrived, I asked for either a corner room or one of the 11th floor rooms with a balcony. We stayed in room 602, which had a view across 51st to Rockefeller Center and a view of Radio City Music Hall down 51st looking west. The bathroom and room were pristinely clean. The king size bed and pillows were super comfortable. Some reveiwers mentioned street noise, but we didn't hear a thing on the 6th floor. As a matter of fact, the AC unit was much quieter than the past several hotels I've stayed in. And the thermostat is conveniently located above the nightstand. The room had an iHome clock/radio/iPod player/charger. There were numerous convenient outlets. We were also offered the 11th floor room, but opted for the corner room with the bigger bed. Each floor has a filtered water dispenser with to-go water bottles. Free wifi throughout. The 2nd floor lounge has a gas fireplace, newspapers, keurig coffee (with milk and half and half in the morning), and two PCs with a printer. The staff was super nice and really helped me select the right room. We arrived right at 2:00 for check in because I read so many reviews that cautioned against late check in. Probably good advice. They also have a pad of full color city maps that show street names, public transportation routes, etc. I would simply tear off the section we needed for each part of our day. There are plenty of places to get reasonably priced meals in the area, too. I booked through Priceline because I could not get the Jewel's own reservation system to work. I think the prices were the same (~$260/night). I will defnitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Corner rooms are great. Avoid late check in.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I was in town for a week for a work conference and ended up staying at The Jewel due to a great price on Travelocity. The location was amazing - Central to many midtown sights (Rock Center, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, Central Park, Hell's Kitchen etc...). The hotel was modern and clean with extremely friendly service at the front desk. It was a happy surprise for my first visit to NYC and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The air conditioner - like many hotels was VERY loud. Through trial and error I found that I could...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank eehkb4
scotland
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We only had an overnight stay in Manhattan, on our way to Florida.
We chose this hotel because we wanted a central location. We had a standard room with a view of St. Patrick's cathedral. The room was very nice, clean and well presented. It was quite small but adequate for our overnight stay. We found the staff friendly and helpful.
We grabbed breakfast at City 75, a few steps away, which was very good and great value.
We would definately stay at this hotel again, possibly upgrading to a room slightly bigger with a balcony.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms with a balcony - we requested one but there were none available.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elizaScotland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just stayed their last weekend, the hotel really close to radio city,on the corner. Is just 5 th avenue, very friendly staff, we came really early around 9 am, they have a 2nd floor where you can stay while waiting for your rm, they have coffee and Internet ,& for a$35 fee you can actually do an early check in which we did since we were really tired. The room was clean, small but then it's new York, overall I will come back & stay here again .The reason I'm giving this a 4 star not a 5 because something wrong with our TV which they fixed, and you could hear the loud knock from housekeeping on the other room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evolet2012
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 31 July 2012

2 days in downtown New York City! The Jewel was clean, accomodating, great views of Rockefeller Center, close to everything. My wife and I would absolutely use this facility next time in the city! Free bottled water was great due to the temperarure outside. Our room stayed at the temperature we set it for and was not loud and did not distract you. All the amenities one would expect from a Boutique hotel. The staff was polite and could not do enough for the patrons. Close to great restaurants and subway. Cabs always available. Rock Center rifght across the street. Radio City Music Hall around the cornor. Avenue of the Americas had a ten block long street fair saturday. What a great stay and the hotel was the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: just ask! The higher up 15 floors the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Potbelly11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A very very good hotel, excellent location, yet very quiet despite being just of 5th Avenue. very good size rooms, comfy beds, very helpful staff, I would 100% stay there again, my only slight criticism is no safes in the room, but they do offer a communal safe should require. If you are in NY and want a great hotel in a fab location the Jewel gets my Vote

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DannyBoy20
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 for 5 nights. Booked through ebookers, no problems checking in. Room was actually facing Rockefeller Center which was nice. The room itself was a decent size for Manhattan. Unfortunately no fridge, but I believe you can ask for one. The water coolers on each floor are excellent, and even though each room does not have its own iron + ironing board, there were always plenty available on each floor. Location is excellent - walking distance to Times Square, Central Park as well as the Subway. Staff were helpful and the lounge with PC's is excellent. A washing machine for hotel guest is also an excellent idea.
I would definitely consider returning!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo