“Great Hotel!”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #91 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Truly a Jewel! The staff is awesome! Rooms are a bit on the smaller side but very well laid out. Just a few steps from Rockefeller Center and of course 5th Avenue shopping! Water stations on every floor! Free coffee on the second floor!

• Stayed: March 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,953)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked the Jewel after reading dozens of excellent online reviews - but sadly I was underwhelmed by the experience of staying there.

Pros:
Obviously great location.

Friendly staff - The staff were all very friendly and warm. The hotel also offered to hold my friend's bags free of charge, since he had a late flight.

Cons:
The bed - The bed was actually uncomfortably firm. We ended up putting a sleeping bag we had packed on top of the bed - the extra layer of down feathers made sleeping borderline bearable.

Small room - Some people may be expecting an 'average size' hotel room, but this is midtown and space is limited. I don't fault the hotel in this regard, just wanted to make people aware.

NOISE COMPLAINT - We arrived at 3am and wanted to sleep in. This was impossible due to the building improvements occurring on the floor above us . I mean it was l-o-u-d. I've slept in 3rd world hostels with in-house bars and this was louder. I called downstairs and the concierge who answered was very polite, but ultimately unhelpful in stopping the noise. I will qualify this issue by saying it was about 10:30am on a weekday when they started- so they could have assumed most guests were awake. My main issue is that the situation was not rectified.

TL;DR - this isn't a bad hotel, it's just not 'as good' as the reviews make it out to be.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jess D
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. Modern and trendy. The staff is super friendly. Great location. I can't say enough great things about this hotel. Great for couples and solo traveler. Keep in mind there is only one bed, so if it is a group trip you may want to get two rooms instead.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 15th floor, really great view
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was truly a surprise for our daughter and myself (mom) from our husbands. It all started on Valentines Day. We both received our gifts in different ways. I woke up on Valentines Day and walked into the kitchen and there was an apple sitting on the counter. The apple had stickers on it saying "I'm a Big" at the top of the apple and below "Come see me". It took a second to understand, but under the apple was our itinerary. Very excited!

We always stay at Marriott's when traveling. My son-in-law made the reservations and I really tried not to question his choice. To my surprise, I was very pleased! The hotel had a very small lobby, much different than I was used to, but on the second floor there was a very nice lounge for relaxing. No long hallways or wasted space anywhere, a little nervous to see our room, but everything was perfect. Very clean, nicely decorated and the layout of the rooms were quite refreshing. The hotel is located right down from The Rockefeller Center where we watched some amazing ice skating. Diana was our front desk associate and was a pleasure, a great asset to "The Jewel". I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I've only stayed for a couple of nights.
1  Thank Janet D
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Don't expect any hotel room in NY to be sized like you're accustomed to in other cities, but you will be delighted to find that the room design at The Jewel provides all of the standard amenities - and then some. A frig, microwave, coffee station, full sized desk... Hands down, the BEST night's sleep I've ever gotten away from home. Mattress was super comfortable, as were the pillows. Situated right across the street from Rockefeller Center, this is the place to say if you're attending a TODAY show concert on the Plaza, or the taping of Late Night or the Tonight Show.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been to NY many times and this is by far the best hotel I've stayed at. The location of this hotel is absolutely perfect, facing Rockefeller center, a short walk toTimes Square and subway stations all nearby to take you to any other borough you choose. The room was a great size for Manhattan, very modern, cute and cozy. There is a water dispenser in the hallway and bottles so you can help yourself to bottled water as often as you like. The kitchenette in the room makes it easy to save money on meals. We happened to be there for St. Patrick's Day weekend and the hotel is a block from the parade route along 5th ave. I have no complaints about this hotel and would recommend it to everyone!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The entrance to this boutique hotel on W. 51st is unprepossessing, and when I first walked in and saw the small lobby and registration stand, I had my doubts. But once I got in my room -- and started exploring -- all my concerns were assuaged. The Jewel is newly renovated, boasting not only comfortably hip decor but a real attention to the business traveler: There are plugs all over the place (3 by the bed!) and free wifi throughout the hotel. Lots of little touches make the stay pleasant. For instance, a "living room" on the second floor offers comfortable seating, the daily papers, and a coffee machine that makes espresso and cappucino. Chilled, purified water is available on every floor -- for free-- and there's an unlocked closet right next to it stocked with the things guests often run out of. Take 4 sugars in that early morning coffee you want to brew in room? No problem. There's plenty there. The fitness room at the jewel is, unsurprisingly, small, but the machines are of recent vintage and fully functional.

I had booked a regular room through Priceline but was upgraded to a suite because that's all they had. This was much more space than I needed, but well arranged, with two very separate bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchenette -- an excellent layout for a family spending time in the city. My only critique is that the mattresses are just adequate, not particularly plush, and the linens are a little coarse. But those are quibbles. The location is ideal, and it's well worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business