“Fine stay at the Jewel”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #92 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 May 2014

3.5

Finding a hotel in New York is always a challenge. How big is the room. Is it in a good location. Is is less than a million dollars....etc etc.

The husband and I were planning a weekend trip to NYC and the hotel we usually stay at was way too expensive. I had read good reviews on yelp and tripadvisor about The Jewel and decided to give it a shot.

The Jewel is in a GREAT location. Right across the street from Rockefeller Plaza (duh - you can assume this from the name), access to tons of subways, duane reade right next store AND The Halal Guys are super close by for your late night street meat cravings.

There is no Doorman (which is fine - we don't need one) and the front desk basically consists of 2 computers. Everyone at the "front desk" was super friendly and answered any questions we had.

The room - it was fine. It was pretty small but pretty much all NYC rooms are. The shower was teeny tiny and the water pressure was pretty minimal but it got the job done. The bed was not very comfortable. It was 2 twins pushed together so you have that hard bar in the middle which is no good for cuddling. They had tons of outlets all around the room so thats great for my tech friendly family.

The things I loved - FREE WATER. I know this sounds silly but it got me very excited. On every floor there was a water machine with free sealed water bottles. Great idea. I drink so much water and I loved not having to shell out money for water bottles all over the city. There was also a lounge on the 2nd floor with free coffee all day. Oh...and wifi was free as well.

All in all it was a fine stay. We loved the location and the rate for the hotel was pretty good. It didn't really wow me but the price was right and FREE WATER.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stellablue1227

Reviewed 28 May 2014

clean facility, pure filtered water machines on every floor, great beds. The staff is so friendly, professional and always aiming to please (actually suggesting restaurant and attraction ideas without being asked!) We felt like they were our personal hosts and that we knew them a long time!!!! We have stayed in many hotels throughout Europe and South America, this one resembles them in that their trained staff are very present and amiable at every moment.

Room Tip: Not necessary to eat at their restaurant, even though they offer a discount, you can do much better...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SPARTACUSER
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed three nights. The location is perfect on a quiet street and near 'everything' in mid town. The staff was extraordinary in being friendly and helpful. And the room .... Perfecto. Good price for NYC (but not a value!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cintimike
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very central location walking distance to a lot of the attractions, room was lovely, nice & clean & we had everything we needed. Hotel offered a lot - free wifi / computer / printing facilities / free water etc. Staff were always very helpful and pleasant, really enjoyed our stay.
There was a great wee bar/restaurant facing it we got some nice burgers & cocktails.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne T
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just returned from a five night stay at the Jewel with my partner and her 18yo son and couldn't be more content. We arrived before check in and though our room wasn't ready they happily looked after our bags and even offered us an alternative room with a lesser view (we of course declined).

The room we got (502) had a fantastic view over 51st street towards radio city music hall, was a good size and handily equipped with microwave and fridge but in addition the hotel supplied free bottles of water and a cupboard with extra bedding, irons, ironing boards etc all at your convenience.

The staff were polite and helpful but the location was the best thing here a block from The Rockefeller Centre and ideally between Times Square and Central Park...it was my 3rd visit and the hotel was easily superior to the others I've stayed in, I'd recommend it highly and if/when we return it will be among the first hotels i check availability for.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RobboMariner
Reviewed 25 May 2014

For the last couple of years we have stayed at the older Club Quarters in Rockerfeller Center but this year we decided to stay next door at their newer sister hotel called Jewel.

Our room was on the fourth floor (rm. 402) facing Rockerfeller Center. Our room was narrow but adequate. Although this was a kitchen suite it had a small mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave but no sink. They do have limited rooms with a sink but we did not get one on this visit.

Right outside our room was a purified water dispenser where we could load up with cold bottled water which was an added bonus. Also, there is a complimentary washer/dryer for guests adjacent to the Fitness Center on the fifth floor. There is a timer clock feature on each machine so you know when to check back in. It takes an hour for the wash and 90 minutes for the dryer. This makes it convenient for you to work out (if you are incline) while you’re doing your laundry. There are two stationary bikes, two elliptical machines, free weights and a weight station. It was never busy except maybe one or two people using it when I was there. The sound on the TV monitor wasn’t good (audio kept fading in and out) so next time I'll bring my iPod. One day they didn’t have towels in the room.

We went over next door at Club Quarters to have breakfast. The restaurant has an open patio that is really nice for sunny days. They can also draw the canopy over your section if the sun gets too hot for you. I loved dining alfresco so this was a bonus. There are a couple of breakfast deli's that are next door that are less expensive and a Duane Reader drug store a few doors down the street.

I’m rating 4 stars because we did have issues with housekeeping but management handled our requests promptly and professionally.

We would stay here again because it’s closed to everything.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor (less street noise), room facing Rockerfeller Center, and balcony if you can...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The trip to NYC was a surprise gift for my fiancee. The check-in process was quick and the staff was friendlier than any other hotel I've visited. We were assigned room J1110. I reserved a "view" room but was surprised to find we had a balcony as well. The view was amazing, we had Radio City Music Hall to the right, Saint Patrick's Cathedral to the left, and the entrance to Rockefeller Plaza and the GE building directly in front. The room wasn't very big, but the view more than made up for it.

The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great. I hate the huge, over-stuffed pillows at other places. The bedside temperature controls were a nice touch, and there were plenty of available outlets to plug in chargers for our phones, tablet, and laptop. There were also USB outlets next to the bed and at the desk. On the dresser there was a small metal box containing a VGA cable to connect our laptop to the TV. This came in handy more than once when looking up local restaurants to visit, as the desk area wasn't big enough for two. The free WIFI worked great on all of our devices. Also, the chilled water stations and bottles are a really nice touch.

I asked for help at the front desk on two occasions. The first morning I woke up early and wanted to get some breakfast in bed for my fiancee. The girl on duty suggested a place called Simply Food, which was just a few doors down from the entrance. The food was great and we got breakfast there every day for the remainder of our trip. The second night we found out that there are a lot of places in "the city that never sleeps" that close at 10:00 pm. I asked where we could go for a few drinks and they directed me to Bill's Bar and Burger across the street, also a great choice.

Checkout was quick and simple, they even offered to store our luggage in case we were leaving New York later than 12:00 (we weren't). All things considered, I'm glad I chose The Jewel and I will definitely stay here (and request the same room) the next time we visit Manhattan. This is one hotel that lives up to its name in every way possible.

Room Tip: Room J1110 has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple