“okay but could do a lot better”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #321 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 October 2011

st Giles hotel is okay, but that positive report is mainly due to the very good location and the extremely comfortable bed and cushions. There was also a very soft lounging chair in the room, a flatscreen, and a good view of the empire state building from our window. We stayed on the 14th floor at the back, so there was no noise from the outside happily, except for the constant humming of the airco system. The room is not big but spacious enough since you hardly stay there, there is so much to see and do in NY! Min points: the room was old and all the doors and furniture were sticky to the touch. The cleaning was okay for the rest. We only breakfasted ther once, it was 15 dollar a person but not worth it. We decided to have breakfast in the nearby Pret à manger, which was a lot better. The lifts in the hotel are always noisy because of the very loud modern music in it. You can only hope you will not get stuck ther for some time.. The lobby is very dark, there is also too loud music playing,and it looks more like the entrance of a nightclub than an hotel. What bothers us also is the absolute wastefulness of replacing the towels everyday, even when you put them on the rack. What an unnecessary ecological waste of water, energy, solvents...and even money for the management. For Europeans who are used to take care of their environment, this is such a waste.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest possible room in the back if you don't want street noise. We stayed in romm...
1  Thank Brigitte D
There are newer reviews for The Court – A St Giles Hotel

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I recently spent five nights at the St.Giles hotel in NYC. I must admit initially I was not super impressed with the quality of the room, from walking in and finding hair in the bathroom sink to the dirty carpet but I let it go I was too excited about being in NYC. After two days of no clean towels and no change of sheets I asked for both and the housekeeping staff enquired very surprisingly if I wanted them clean everyday. I replied yes please, but it never happened automatically she kept asking every day. Then Irene came along and we were in fact stuck in our hotel room for quite a while, again no clean sheets, after the hurricane passed we found out our flight was going to be 4 days late, we needed to find a way to get back home, well the front desk clerk seemed downright bothered when we asked how much an extra night would be, the price was quite high and we asked if under the circumstances we could get a discount, but the answer was no, then we needed to use the internet to find, a car, train or bus anything to get home (with a very frazzled 8 year old) and then kept charging for the use approximately $7.00 for 15 minutes. At no point in time were we asked 'What can we do for you' in what was supposed to be the worst storm ever to hit Manhattan. Thankfully the storm did not do too much damage, and everything was fine but we were stuck scrambling for a way to get home, in a dirty hotel room. Thankfully we love Manhattan so much that we will be back but definately not at the St.Giles

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank IsaMtl
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights last week. 95% of the staff were helpful and very friendly; there is one gal who checks folks in who never smiles and just seems overall unfriendly or snippy. Oscar is a can-do kinda guy and is very helpful. The concierge folks are great; one of them accidentally gave me directions to a different retailer than the one I was wanting to go to~he apologized, gave us a card for 2 free drinks that we were unable to use and we found a $15 credit on our hotel bill. If you are looking to spend alot of time in Time Square and that area, it is a bit of a walk. If you don't want to be disturbed in your room during the day, keep the Quiet sign on your door and set the lock inside; I had someone walk in on me twice-he was looking for room service trays. They also need to figure out what is wrong with their card keys-they almost never work in the elevators and sometimes they stop working in your room door as well....pretty frustrating after a long day walking. I would stay there again but would hope that they can improve on the items that I mentioned above.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mwamom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Stayed for 4 days in early september, greeted by warm and welcome staff and incredibly helpful lady at the helpdesk. Got a room on the 8th floor. Room was really clean and very spacious (king size), great bed, a small couch, desk and everything one would need. Bathroom was also very clean and the bath/shower was good. Maidservice was also very good, room was tidied up nicely.

We didn't really stay much in the hotel, we just went out early and came in late, but we experienced almost no noise and slept through all the nights (I'm a SUPER light sleeper). Did not eat at the inhouse restaurant nor drink at the bar, but everything looked great.

The hotel is in a nice walking distance from Times Square and 5th Avenue, but far enough that there isn't bustling traffic and much noise.

All in all we loved our stay and would reccomend to anyone!

Room Tip: Nothing in Particular
2  Thank olinn
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights and I found this an ideal location. It is approx. 3 minutes to Grand Central Station, 5 min to 5th Avenue, 10min to Macys and about 15 min to Times Square! We got the NY Airporter bus from the Airport to Grand Central and walked one block and the hotel is there. Cheap and convenient.

We stayed in the basic superior room and it was huge. The bed was a large size and very comfortable. We also got plenty of space for all our stuff and a separate "room" (area behind a wall) which we used more as a walk in wardrobe. The TV is huge and has plenty of channels and the docking station also came in handy. The air conditioning is good but it can be very loud. We had to turn this off every night whilst we slept. I don't know if this would be possible during a heat wave.

Its not a hotel that is brimming with facilities but thats the way I like it. The staff were always friendly and courteous and you always feel safe with the security constantly on the door. They even held our luggage for us free of charge on the final day while we went exploring. This hotel focuses on its core objective, which is its guests and the rooms. Too many hotels lose focus on having Michelin star restaurants, spas, etc.

This is a great hotel for all people as its central, yet in a reasonably quiet area. I travelled for leisure but I usually travel on business. I think some business people may not be completely satisfied as the broadband is expensive and I don't think they have a business area to print, copy, etc. This hotel is very quiet though and has a good sized desk for which to work on. So this could suit some people.

If you are looking for a base to explore New York I cannot recommend this place enough. Its a great mid priced hotel. The only reason it is not 5 star is because its not 5 star quality. This is a really good four star hotel and is really good value for money.

Room Tip: Some rooms facing 39th Street can have views of the Chrysler Building.
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the St Giles. It's a lovely hotel in the heart of New York. Our room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. We have stayed in 3 other hotels in New York of the same rating and the St Giles is the best by far. We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hosterajko
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Maybe I was spoiled by a) having stayed at a lovely hote in DC immediately prior to my arrival in NYC and b) never having stayed in any hotel in New York, but my impression of the St Giles - The Court was of an old hotel that has been tarted up with a flash lobby and dance music in the lifts. The rooms were fine (clean and tidy) and the beds were comfortable. However the fittings were cheap and the rooms old. A couple of coats of paint won't hide that. The staff were mostly surly (except for the happy cleaners) and the adjoining bar was dark to the point of ridiculous and the breakfast cafe was only okay. You'd be better off heading to one of the local diners (which is what I did on two out of thre three days).

Room Tip: As you come of out of the lift, the rooms to the left have views of the Chrysler Building and some a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business