“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #300 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

A complete disappointment.

It all started when I tried to check-in 45 minutes early. You would imagine no hotel would say no to such silly request but they did. I was covered in sweat and had my luggage with me but they still didn't budge. I was told my room was being cleaned thus why I couldn't check in. Since I had to be somewhere at the time I decided to postpone my check in for later that evening and take my luggage with me. They offered to keep my luggage until check in but I didn't feel comfortable with that.

Came back later that night and finally checked in. The room was dirty and poorly serviced, I doubt anyone cleaned it after the previous guest checked out. The room's furniture had stains all over the place.The TV didn't have one single HD channel. Even the controller to the TV was dirty. I actually put it inside a plastic bag. The linens for the bed were about the only thing in the entire room that "looked" cleaned.

Overall, the room was old, smelly and poorly maintained.

The bathroom was disgusting. There were hairs and yellow nasty stains all over the place. Tried to take a shower and the drain was completely clogged. I basically had to shower on top of my own filth. Nasty.

Woke up at the crack of dawn and checked out immediately. I spent less than 12 hours in that place and it was still too much to bare.

Soon after leaving the hotel I realized I had bites all over my legs.... not sure what kind of critters did it but I assure you I did not have them prior to arriving to the hotel.

This was perhaps the worst hotel stay I've ever had. I will never set foot here ever again.
It was a complete waste of money.

Room Tip: book elsewhere... that's my advice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank e5game

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We were very well treated since we arrived.
Very helpful and nice staff. The room is pretty spacious and clean.
The hotel's location is perfect! Just a few steps of the grand station and a few blocks from the Empire State.
As tourists we were very satisfied!

Stayed March 2014
Nicosia, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed there in July for 8 nights with my family in 2 rooms. Quick summary review: Check-in: Basic by a very very disnterested person who was replacing the receptionist. The kids room was indeed very big however in our room the A/C was not working and the bed cover was stained. The engineer who came to check the A/C said it was frozen and I had to defrost it for 3 hours by setting the thermostat at 80 degrees (I had to do that?????). Went down, talked to reception, nothing. Went down again in 20 minutes, nothing. Got upset, called the manager. She was very very helpful and tried to find us another room - which she eventually managed at a different floor not close to the kids. Admittedly she did try her best. After 3 nights, the A/C in that room went out (compressor burned) and we were offered to change rooms again or use a portable A/C. Opted for the portable A/C. Overall an average stay at an average hotel.
Pros: Manager was very understanding and tried to be helpful.
Big rooms
Right next to Scotty's diner for excellent low priced food
Concierge was knowledgable and helped with our activities
Cons: Old and it shows and somewhat dirty
Noisy (but really really noisy) A/C. Like the noise you hear when traveling in a plane.
Reception very unhelpful - most unhelpful and non-smiling persons in New York. Even the strangers we asked for help in the streets were by far more friendly.
Breakfast not even worth considering

Location somewhat convenient since other hotels are in better locations - 20-25 mins walk to Times Square, 7 mins walk to Grand Central station. Wi-fi was free but a little slow and needed to keep logging in - but as I said it was free.

All in all, given the hotel prices in New York this hotel is a budget-oriented choice for an average stay. If I could afford it, I would have stayed at a different hotel. BTW, if you stay at this hotel, avoid the Hunan Manor opposite of Scotty's. Overpriced food with no character. Try Chinatown for authentic Asian cuisine.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank ak0kkin0s
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

For NYC, our room was pretty spacious with 2 queen size beds, a chair, large screen tv, & a decent size tiled bathroom. My angst was that the outlet in the bath didn't work, and the iron we were supplied with didn't really work. The hotel management were willing to change out the iron which is good. This hotel location was enough of a walk to Times Square, Empire State Building, the subway system, and the bus system as well. We ate a few times at bloom's cafe which is definitely worth it and if you crave last minute items the hotel is near a convenient store across and a few blocks from a walgreens or named Duane reede. For what we paid it was a bit pricey but then again it's NYC.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a junior suite in July. Great size room with more closet space than any hotel I have ever seen which is great as we stayed for 8 nights. It's not 5 star but it's very good and I'm really fussy. Hotel was clean and has a nice lobby and bar. The only real bother for me was the shower which is in the tub. The tub drained slow so water was always up to my ankle while showering. Other than that really enjoyed the stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Sam T
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The Court is a good hotel if all you're looking for is a place to rest your head that's centrally located. It's literally 2 blocks from Grand Central making it ideal for tourists, Times Square and subway access. The room itself though was fairly basic. A few things seemed a bit dated or in the process of breaking and we had to have a dehumidifier in our room for the first day. All we wanted was someplace to crash after walking about the city, so an average hotel was adequate.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Located in walking distance to many sites. Close to grand central for subway access. Great rooms for the money and location to nearby sites. Would stay again, friendly hotel staff lots of help when looking for advise for the city site seeing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends