Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #208 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Arlington, VA, USA
“Good value”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Staff: friendly and responsive to your requests. I pointed out that coffee had run out and they replaced it in less than 2 minutes.

Rooms: clean if a bit small; the restrooms are not only small, but the door opens into the restroom. In Room 803, you have to almost push yourself against the shower door in order to get the door open and get out. I strongly recommend adjusting the door to open outward or replacing the bathroom door with the sliding type.

Food: Starbucks coffee. The muffins are very tasty. The sausage leaves something to be desired and the shake n' bake eggs look absolutely terrible.

Terrace: Great view of the Empire State building. Could use some more sturdy chairs.

Overall: Great value for your money in NYC, walking distance from Penn Station.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Hello Francisco,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and responsive, and provided you with great service. I also appreciate your comments regarding the bathroom layout and breakfast. The hot breakfast items are a new program for Fairfield Inns, and I have shared your comments with the appropriate parties as we do continuously strive to improve our product. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York City!

Robert Brashler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I was in NYC for a surprise birthday trip for my son. The hotel is right around the corner and within walking distance from Penn Station. The streets are lined with flower shops so their are beautiful flowers everywhere. We arrived Friday afternoon and the staff was very acommodating. They upgraded our King room to a city view. The bed was extremely comfortable. They also have breakfast daily. (boiled eggs, bagels, cereal, muffins, fruit, juice, milk, breakfast sandwiches) There is no mini mart inside the hotel but there is a Duane Reade right around the corner. I had a great experience Friday-Sunday and I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Hello NH923,

Thank you for the nice review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and had a nice birthday trip with your son. You are absolutely right, our location is extremely convenient. The Flower District is a lovely place in the city, and makes for a spring garden right outside our door--something that is a rare find in Manhattan! Thank you also for your comments regarding the staff, I am glad to hear that they took good care of you. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we are glad that you will stay with us again on your next trip to New York. We certainly enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed at this Marriott property for two nights on business and was very pleased. As others have noted, the hotel is clean and well-managed. A shout-out to everyone on the front desk - uniformly friendly, knowledgable and helpful, no matter the hour or how many people were in the lobby. My room was small but that did not matter to me as I was on my own and seldom in the room. The heat/AC system was not noisy like in many other hotels and so did not disrupt my sleep. I was on the 11th floor, speaking of sleep, and heard very little street noise.

The breakfast area and food served are typical for the brand, and yet I would once again give extra credit because the breakfast area was pleasant, clean, well-organized and had a reasonable amount of seating. For those of us who don't drink coffee it was a pleasant surprise to find higher-quality Tazo Teas on offer with the hot water, instead of just generic tea bags.

As others have noted, Penn Station is a 5 - 7 minute walk away and the subway is quite nearby.

My only quibble - and I would call this minor - has to do with the bed pillows!! They are oddly small and not overly comfortable. Otherwise, well done!

Room Tip: I was on a higher floor (11) and the street noise was minimal.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Hello Washpa,

Thank you for the lovely review! I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us, and found the hotel to be clean and well managed. Thank you also for your comments regarding the Front Desk staff. I cannot agree with you more, they are absolutely the best in Manhattan and I am glad that they provided you with excellent service. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, including the Tazo brand teas. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our pillows, please reach out to us on your next visit and we will be happy to provide you with some alternative choices. I hope that you had a safe trip back home and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future!

Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and had a great time in NY. Comfortable bed, good breakfast, great location, you can easily walk to many attractions (and Penn Station is also not very far). Subway is nearby as well. Staff is very friendly. There are some rooms with city view, mine was out the back... no view but very quiet instead. This will definitely be on top of my list for a place to stay on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Hello Optimus,

Thank you for the lovely review! I am glad that you had a nice stay with us and a great time in New York City. You are absolutely right, we do have a great location which makes for a very convenient base for exploring the city. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our beds and our complimentary brakfast. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we are thrilled that our hotel is on the top of your list for your next visit to the Big Apple. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back!

Milford, CT
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Living in CT, we normally take the train in to the city (New York), go to a show or museum and return home by train at night. For my birthday treat, we decided to stay overnight at this Fairfield Inn. We were unable to bring any overnight bag items because we went to the musical "Newsies" and the Nederland Theater has no leg room, coat room nor lockers. So with toothbrush and meds, on the 14th floor we did fine at this hotel, enjoyed a sense of quietness and had a great breakfast in the am.

As others have mentioned, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff here was A1 okay. Loved the block outside too, filled with fresh flowers for sale up and down the street.

Only wish it had been easier to get a cab on this street.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Hello Travelwaves,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, and happy belated birthday! I am glad to hear that you had a delightful stay with us. I also hope that you enjoyed Newsies, it is certainly a great show and one of my favorites. Thank you also for your comments regarding the staff, I am pleased to hear that they provided great service. They do indeed personify friendliness! I am also glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, as well as the veritable garden that awaits you outside of our front door. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we hope that you will come stay with us again on your next trip to New York!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My husband had a business trip to NYC, so our 3 year old and I decided to tag along. We wanted to stay somewhere close to Times Square without blowing our budget, and we thought this was a great option.

We traveled by Megabus from Washington DC, and we were dropped off very close to this hotel. We were a little early for check in, and they gave us the option of checking in right then, or waiting until actual check in time for a room with a fold-out chair for our daughter. We opted to wait, and they were happy to hold our bags while we killed some time. All of our dealings with the staff were very professional and personable. They even gave our daughter a little cow toy, which she played with the entire stay.

The room itself was smaller, but that was to be expected in New York City, and for our short stay we didn't mind it. Our three year old thought the fold out chair was one of the coolest things in the world. For an adult, it would be a little tight, but she slept soundly on it all night. We enjoyed the king bed, it was very comfortable.

I'm a big fan of anywhere that offers free breakfast, and this spread did not disappoint. They had lots of good options for all of us. To name a few options, they offered cereals, toast, bagels, yogurts, Del Monte grapefruit and fruit cups, hard boiled eggs, orange and cranberry juice, apples and bananas, coffee and hot chocolate, and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. It was so nice not to have to worry about breakfast every morning, especially with a child in tow. There was plenty of seating available.

The location was great. Walking distance to Time Square and Penn Station, and a Subway station on the same block. Lots of reviews mention the flowers outside, which is true! It is a nice touch.

As we checked out, we grabbed some cookies from the front desk. I was impressed with the staff who were friendly and happy.

Overall- this was a great deal, with a comfortable, quiet room and free breakfast, and friendly staff. Our room was on the smaller size, but perhaps they offer bigger ones, or this is good for smaller traveling groups. Easy access to public transportation, and also walking distance to many attractions. We enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Hello Liliribs,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and had a great stay with us. You are absolutely right, our beds are super comfortable and I am glad that you had a good night's rest. I am also glad that you enjoyed the flower district, it does indeed make for a veritable garden right outside our front door! Thank you also for your comments about the staff, I always like hearing that they provided extraordinary service and took good care of you and your daughter. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast. I hope you had a safe trip back to our nation's capital, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This was the best NYC hotel stay I've had in a while.

My room was large by Manhattan standards, with space to move around, a small closet (big enough for storing clothes and a suitcase), a d desk area and flat-screen TV. And, the room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean.

I had paid a little extra for a view room, and got what I paid for: a great view of the Empire State Building.

I loved the rooftop deck - the view was outstanding and it was nice to go up there for some fresh air (or a smoke).

The staff - particularly those at the front desk - could not have been more friendly and helpful.

I loved the Chelsea location - lots of food options nearby, and walking distance to one of my favorite bars/clubs.

My only (very minor) complaint was the configuration of the bathroom - when you opened the bathroom door the toilet stuck out and was kind of in the way so you had to open the door all the way to get around the toilet to the sink area. Not a big deal, though. The shower was great and the sink was stylish with plenty of space (including cupboards underneath) to store stuff.

I really enjoyed my stay here. In the future this will definitely be one of my top choices for my favorite long weekend travel destination - New York City!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Hello Keith,

Thank you for the great review! I am glad to hear that you had a terrific stay with us, and were able to take advantage of the city view rooms. They certainly do offer tremendous views and I'm glad you enjoyed the rooftop deck as well. I am also pleased to hear that the staff provided exceptional service--they are certainly among the best in the city! I do understand your comments about the bathroom door, in the room line you were in the configuration is slightly awkward. We are in the process of reversing these so that they swing the other way. I hope that you had a safe trip back to Chicago, and we are thrilled that you will be making our hotel your home away from home when in New York!