“Very Clean Hotel in a Great Location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #195 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the evening of July 13, 2013. This is the first time we've stayed at a Fairfield Inn, and we were not disappointed. The hotel is located between 6th and 7th Avenues, which is the Flower District. There are numerous nice flower shops located within a few feet of the hotel. The location of the hotel is ideal for 2 reasons. First, it is within easy walking distance of several key New York attractions, including High Line Park and Chelsea Market. Second, the hotel is removed from the more congested areas of New York.

My wife and I arrived shortly before 1 PM, and there was a room ready on the third floor. Our checkin went very smoothly. Our room was very clean and comfortable, although small in size. The bed and pillows were also very comfortable. Furthermore, our hotel was very quiet, and we could not hear any outside noise. A free breakfast buffet was included, and there was an outside patio for eating.

Our checkout also went smoothly, and we were allowed to check our luggage while we conducted our sightseeing for the day. In summary, my wife and I were very satisfied with our stay, and we strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York City.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William S
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hello William,

Thank you for the great review! I am so pleased to hear that you had a terrific stay with us and enjoyed your time in New York City. You are absolutely right, the Flower District is an amazing neighborhood and makes for a veritable garden in the heart of the city. I am also pleased to hear that the staff executed everything perfectly and I have shared your comments with them. On behalf of the entire team, we are glad to hear that you highly recommend us. I hope that you had a safe trip back home and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here one night while visiting New York for a hair convention in Harlem. The hotel is located in a great area, near the subway (1 train) and walking distance from the transportation hub located in Herald Square, including Penn Station and a number of subway trains. The hotel room was small but that is expected for a Manhattan hotel. The room was clean. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I arrived several hours earlier than check-in time and the staff allowed me to store my bags there so that I could explore the city while I waited for my room to be ready. The hotel also offers free wifi (a plus) and a complimentary breakfast (e.g., toast, cereal, eggs, coffee, tea, juice, and yogurt). There are also several restaurants and fastfood places nearby. The staff recommended a pizza place a block away that served some of the best flatbread pizza I have had in the city. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lat2001
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Hello Lat,

Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and had a nice time in New York City. You are absolutely right, our location is the best and makes for an extremely convenient base in the city. Thank you also for your comments regarding the staff, they are truly phenomenal and I am glad that they took care of you. I am also glad that you enjoyed Waldy's! It is certainly one of my favorite spots for pizza and very close to the hotel. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Manhattan!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've spent 10 nights at the Fairfield Inn in June-July 2013.
The hotel is quite small: 18 floors with around 5-6 rooms per floor.
Rooms were very clean, and my room was quite specious (for a NYC room).
The hotel location is great, with subway stops less than a block a way (red lines and yellow lines).
I've slept on the 17th floor which was quiet 99% of the time (you can easily hear people waiting for the elevator, and the elevator ping, but not across rooms).
The complimentary breakfast is a great start in the morning. It has everything you need, including fresh cut fruits and pastries.
The stuff was friendly and helpful throughout my stay (though I didn't have any real issue).

Few general comments:
-My room was equipped with a 37'' TV with around 30 channels.
-I've spent 10 days at the hotel, and my sheets were only replaced after I specifically asked for it (they basically don't replace sheets throughout your stay unless you ask). When asked, they were replaced that day.
-There is no refrigerator in the room. There is a single ice machine in the lower Lobby floor
- The AC system is EXTREMELY loud and weird. When clicking on off, it takes around 10 minutes for the system to actually stop working. Any change of temperature, also requires a long wait before it actually happens. However, the room was always cool enough for my needs.
- The mattress is very soft
- Free Wifi across the hotel and rooms

Bottom line - a very positive stay and a hotel I will surely get back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a city view. Corner rooms seems more specious
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Hello Eronen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. I cannot agree with you more, our location is the best and very centrally located in Manhattan. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast and that the staff provided great service. I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced with the air conditioning. Our Engineer was able to determine the source of the noise and correct the problem. I would also like to apologize that your bed linens were not changed as frequently as you had hoped. Our hotel is part of Marriott's "Spirit to Preserve" sustainability initiative, and our practice is to change linens every third day. We will however change them upon request. I hope that you will help support Marriott's environmental initiatives by visiting the sustainability page on our website. On behalf of the entire team, we are all glad to hear that you will be back to stay with us again on your next trip to New York and hope that you had safe trip back to Israel!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Every year we make one to two trips to the NYC area, often staying in New Jersey and taking buses or trains to Manhattan, but this time we opted to stay in the city itself.

As others have written the street itself is awash with color, as vendors sell plants, trees and flowers of every size and description and perhaps for this reason the traffic on 28th was bad. The parking is very close, just after crossing Sixth Ave and was just $25 with hotel validation.

Check in was easy and Bethany who hails from Texas and later Brandi were super friendly and helpful. They allowed us to check in about an hour early at 2pm. Our room on the 8th floor was clean and certainly large enough for the two of us. However it's possibly a little too small to practice the hammer throw or discus!

Air conditioning worked a treat and I must single out the bed as perhaps one of the most comfortable we've experienced so far. I hope Fairfield management can point us toward purchasing a similar mattress! We also loved the bathroom and large walk in shower.

Public areas were spotless, the rooftop "penthouse" (observatory) was a nice distraction and the breakfast area was spotless, cheerful and well stocked - not bad for a free breakfast. I also loved the small number of rooms per floor, resulting in lots of peace and quiet and the elevator responded quickly on all but one occasion. I could say that a small fridge would have been nice, but it's really difficult and probably a little bit unfair to even consider leveling criticism at this superbly run hotel.

We loved the area too and short walks south on Sixth, Seventh and eight Avenues led to a wide array of excellent eateries with the West Village within walkable distance too. I'm glad too that the hotel is south of the touristy mayhem that seems to start at around 33rd Street and move north. It's a reflection of the location of this hotel that we never used the subway or a taxi during our two day stay. We walked everywhere. I really hope we can stay here again!

Room Tip: check out an excellent Thai restaurant on Eight called Spices, as well as Markt on Sixth Ave (a Belg...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DuncanH
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Hello Duncan,

Thank you for the fantastic review! It is always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours! I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed your trip to New York City. Thank you also for recognizing Brandi and Bethany, they are certainly among the best in the city and I am glad that they took such great care of you. I must agree with you on the beds, they are amazing! If you would like to purchase one, you may do so by visiting our website and clicking on the "Shop Marriott" link at the bottom of the page. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and were able to take advantage of the rooftop terrace. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York!

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. The front desk staff were amazing, and our room was well-appointed, albeit small. The bed was SO comfortable! Our room didn't have a view, but that's ok. We were only there to sleep anyway. We liked the free breakfast, and the afternoon cookies were tasty.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank MandyLake
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Hello Mandy,

Thank you for the lovely review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and had a fantastic stay with us. I must agree with you, the beds are super comfortable and do make for a great night's sleep. Thank you also for your comments regarding the staff. They are absolutely the best and I have shared your comments with them. I am also pleased that you liked the cookies, they are my grandmother's recipe, and the white chocolate macadamia are my favorite! I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you bck to our hotel on your next trip to New York.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 3 days and would definitely recommend it. It had everything you needed for a NYC stay. Good clean room (nothing fancy or not a great view - but this is NYC, so I hadn't expected anything else) and a very friendly staff.
Most of all I have to give thumbs up to the location. You are right by 28th and 6th ave and I found it a great location as my base for seeing everything from Brooklyn, Roosevelt Island, Pier 86 (USS Intrepid), Meatpacking District, High Line, West Village, 9/11 Memorial, Alphabet City and Central Park. I wasn't aware of nor expecting the complimentary breakfast, but ate it one morning and it served as a good starter for any long day of sightseeing, without being a huge buffet, but had everything I needed.
On top of everything - it had by far the best price I could find through any search-tool on the internet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nick E
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the nice review! I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed your trip to New York City. You are absolutely right about our great location, it is very central and makes for a very convenient base for exploring Manhattan. You certainly did hit some great spots and I am glad you were able to take advantage of the city. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast. This was a new addition to all Fairfield Inns this spring and has been very well received. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

My parents and I recently had the pleasure of staying at this Fairfield Inn over Memorial Day weekend. As previous reviewers have noted, the location is great, but what really makes this hotel a standout is the staff. We encountered staff members while checking in, when we came in in the middle of night from sightseeing, and then again at checkout and each time, every person that we encountered was not just courteous in a detached professional way - each person was genuinely friendly, funny, and interested in making our stay pleasant. The front desk staff were helpful in safely storing our baggage after checkout so we could continue sightseeing and responsive to needs like calling cabs, setting wake-up calls, getting the internet password, etc. In one instance, a front desk clerk who helped check us in was still at the desk when we returned from sightseeing around midnight and she revealed that another staff member had called in sick so that she would have to stay until about 7 the next morning. Even though she had every right to be tired and surly under those conditions she was funny and charming. In speaking with the staff, they not only seemed to care about the guests of the hotel, they seemed to care about each other, which evidently makes it a pleasant working environment that they freely share with the guests. Coming from the south, I had braced myself for the unfriendliness that is rumored to exist in New York, but we felt as welcome in the City as we have anywhere else in the world - everyone we met, including the staff of this hotel, was fun and friendly. We had an amazing time. I don't know who does the hiring for this hotel, but whatever they are doing - they are doing it right. As an aside, there is a not-very-good movie called "Premium Rush" about bicycle messengers that I recently saw and some of the action in this movie takes place right at the doorstep of this hotel. So that's kind of cool. The rooms are pretty small, but the bathrooms are spacious. Everything was very clean. Great job!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank abroughton

Hello Abroughton,

Thank you for the five star review! I can't express how much it means to the entire team to receive feedback such as yours. I am glad to hear that we were able to show that New Yorkers are indeed friendly and hospitable! I have shared your comments with the team, as it is reviews like yours that keep everyone motivated and energized. Thank you again for staying with us. We certainly enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York!