“Great deal in a nice location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #195 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and i stayed here on a recent business trip. This hotel is in a great location. Right around the corner from Madison Square Garden and less than a 10 minute walk from Union Station. It is also very close to both Times Square and Rockefeller Center. The rooms are very small, but that is fine with us. We spent more time out in the city than in the room. The staff is very friendly. There is a decent fitness center in the basement. They have a nice complimentary breakfast each morning. The hotel is very quiet.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the north side of the building with a view of the Empire State Building. We were...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ishlachi
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Ishlachi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a love review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

So when checking in I asked for a room with a view I was told they didn't have any left so I asked again just seeing and was told I reserved a king room which are in the back. I booked on Priceline with an option of either a king or double no option for a room with a view. So then I checked on there website and I could book a king room with a view so I guess I just felt lied too. I just enjoy a view when I'm in nyc. The room was nice enough, small, no room for stuff in the bathroom on the counter and no place to put your clothes. Was a good price but I like a view so I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Majewel
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Majewel,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our page. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the room you booked, however there are many different factors that can affect the available room types. We may not have had a room with a view for all of the nights you had stayed or we may not have had any complimentary upgrades available since the rooms with views are at a higher price point.

I encourage you to book directly through the Marriott website, all of our available rooms are displayed and match any rates found anywhere online. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any concerns before your next booking. Safe travels!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is not a hotel for a business traveler ... which for some is good but for a business traveler I would say go someplace else.

I had a quick business trip to New York so I booked an overnight here. The room was clean and the staff friendly. The room was also quiet, all points I value but it ended there.

The room is however tiny small (much smaller than competing hotels across the street or one or two blocks away where I have stayed in the past). The heat control in the room is poor and the desk is a tiny table wedged in a corner. Every time I tried to get out of the desk chair (it is the only chair in the room) it was banging into the heater or the bed because the room is so SMALL and the desk is stuck in the corner.

The heat seemed to have one setting on or off. I would get cold so I pushed the thermostat up one degree and then the room would get boiling hot so then I pushed it down a degree and it would go off and never come back on (or worse yet one time the a/c kicked on) till the point the room was so cold you had to go push it back up a degree.

Also the room has no draws or anyplace to put clothes or anything down. To work I had to spread out things on the bed. There are tiny (useless) shelves in a corner and a small cupboard with hangers. I ended up using the stone windowsill which meant everything got freezing cold. Only other place would be to pile things on the floor and climb over them because there is no chair or bureau or .... Same in the bathroom no counter top or shelf or place to put anything other on the very small edge of the sink.

They say they have a "full service business center" but that turns out to be two computers in the corner of the breakfast room. I had a word processing file to print out but there are no programs on the computers. I asked at the front desk and the staff said they would look into it. I asked later in the day and they attitude was "oh well" and the staff suggested you can go down the street to Staples. (As I pointed out later to the manager if I go down the street I can go the Indigo Hotel or the Hilton or the Holiday Inn or the Doubletree or .... all within a stone throws and better equipped for travelers.) I said that is not a business center and the response from the front desk: complain to management. I said you are management as far as a guest is concerned and they laughed. I did later complain to management that the computers had no programs like Word and the response was we can not do that because of licenses. I have stayed in a LOT of hotels (business oriented and otherwise) and this is the only one which does not have its computers set up with a basic programs. The manager says you can down load a viewer program if you want.... really if you say you have a "full service business center" and want to have business travelers you need to be better set up and not expect us to be searching out and downloading programs or going down the street for a BASIC service.

Personally as I said I would suggest one of the other hotels all within a block or two (some across the same street) any of which I have had better experiences with than this one when I stayed at those other hotels.

For a hotel in the Marriott band I expected better service and better facilities. This hotel comes across as discount no service hotel. Is that what Marriott wants?

Room Tip: The rooms are tiny so don't bring a lot of things.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Frequentraveler_724
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear FrequentTraveler_724,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and are sorry to hear that you felt that the hotel was not geared towards business travellers.

We have quite a few different room types and all vary in size and layout, next time please do not hesitate to ask to be changed into a different room. All of our room sizes are quite competitive in regards to other properties throughout Manhattan an they all have a full armoire with shelving uints, however I apologize that we did not meet your needs.

The computers all have Microsoft Office Viewer. Unfortunately we do not have the capability to create new documents, but you can absolutely print any documents from this program. Our staff also gave a few suggestions regarding different websites that do allow you to make edits to documents at no charge.

We hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the future so that we can ensure you have a better experience. Safe travels!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Only a few blocks from Penn Station, one block from F.I.T. and if you must shop big box - there's a Macy's right near Penn Station. The hotel was clean - very clean, the room was quiet, the staff polite, the bed was spotless and it had a comfortable topper. In fact, it was so comfortable I didn't want to leave the room.
Breakfast was included and full - everything a normal person would want. No sour fruit, everything was fresh. The breakfast area was really inviting as it was off the back of the hotel and had glass windows for bright and positive atmosphere.
Oh - FREE WI FI - a note to all the hotels that charge for this feature: I consider this when selecting a hotel. There's nothing more annoying then paying $10.00 to connect with a laptop.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris O

Dear Chris O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel and I have nothing but good things to say. The Hotel is in a great location, breakfast was good, room was clean and comfortable. From the moment I arrived through my stay, the staff were exceptional. They were professional, kind, friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear NTCYYZ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed at here for 2 nights on our way to Paris, and it fit our needs perfectly. The room was tiny, but not a big concern for us because we were doing a lot of sightseeing and knew in advance that we wouldn't be spending much time in the room. The location was convenient, close to the multiple subway lines. The hotel was clean, well decorated and the staff was accommodating. They were able to provide early check-in and also hold our luggage after checkout. The free breakfast was better than most for this type of hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear bookwormj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on our property! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our second visit and every bit as good as the first. Hotel was a bit quieter than on our last visit in June 2013.
We had a room on the eight floor overlooking West 28th. Elevator was outside our door but very little noise. Shower pressure was excellent. Room was nice and clean and no noise from adjoining ones.
Breakfast was decent and they kept everything replenished. Parking (validated) was perhaps a three minute walk across Sixth Ave and cost only $25 for 24 hours. Staff very friendly, particularly the Dominican gentleman at reception.
Area is great and just far enough away from the Empire State tourist madness to feel you are in the real NYC. Chelsea Market an easy walk and lots of good restaurants further south on Sixth and on Eighth Aves.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DuncanH
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear DuncanH,

Welcome back! Thanks again for staying with us - and for taking the time to post such another lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon!