“Great Time”

Nuyorican Poet's Cafe
Ranked #462 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We visited this Poet's Cafe while on a B day road trip( my b day) Money well spent. The show starts at nine so dont be late,,,if you would like to perform be there by 730. These people dont play around...there was a guy looking to perform. he had traveled all the way from Rochester, and was not allowed to perform because he missed the sign in time. I had a great time. If we lived in NY i would go once a week. The tickets were $7, i think...the space is small, and sort of cramped..the open mic night is popular and people do arrive on time...i saw a good amount of people after the show was over, leaving on their skateboards and bycycles...Parking is not guaranteed, This is NY...some again come early and be prepared to walk a bit in needed. Dont miss their show..Awesome talent comes by way of Nuyorican..

1  Thank fouche001
in 2 reviews
"nyc"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2013

A friend who used to live in NY recommended this place so we gave it a try. It was dope. Great energy and amazing lyricists and poets. The place gets sardine-like packed and it's spilling over with 18-25 yr olds but the vibe is undeniably contagious. Buy tickets in advance and get there before 10pm on Friday to guarantee seating (we learned the hard way about the guarantee); otherwise, it's likely you'll be sitting criss-cross apple sauce on the floor. The owner was very welcoming; offered us seating when he found out it was our first time there--said he wanted us to have a great time.

The regulars are like a family and you feel a welcome guest at their weekly gatherings. Seriously some the best young artists and poets I've every witnessed. It's hip hop and poetry at it's NY best.

Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

If your not from New York or US I recommend the Poetry Slam night for a very entertains night.
The competitors tske it seriously, and are just so talented in spoken word. The MC is also entertaining. I found the atmosphere really something else.
Expect to line up.
You can even enter yourself on the night.

1  Thank spazinyarra
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

I went here for a couples only valentines event. Im assuming it wasn't hosted by the cafe because the people who I went to see were a traveling group. The event itself I was pleased with. When the event was over though the owner jumps on stage is telling us to leave (we were waiting for our parting gifts) everyone is telling him that we are waiting and he continues to tell us he has another event and if we stay any longer we would have to pay. I understand that there is another event but I don't think they should have scheduled them so close together. He was very rude and unprofessional based off that I would never return customer service is very important.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 January 2013

HORRIBLE! DO NOT GO HERE. (pls note this review is not reflective of the Poets who are amazing...only the VENUE). This USED TO BE my favorite spot for a great Friday night to hear wonderful Poets and get some good ol' fashion LES culture. The VENUE has capitalized on its reputation and have completely DESTROYED THE EXPERIENCE. The turned a great neighborhood staple into something of a TOURIST TRAP.
Here are my complaints about my recent and LAST visit to his HORRIBLE VENUE last Friday night .

#1. I don't mind standing on line for a great show, a film, or a concert BUT NOT WHEN IT IS 9C outside and SNOWING!!!!! Not only did they have people waiting on line (Me & my girlfriend arrived at 9pm and were let in at 10:15pm..........after 1 hr and 15 mins in freezing weather) My poor girlfriend was FREEZING & SHIVERING in her winter coat and the "BOUNCER" AT THE FRONT KEPT BS-ING THE LINE TELLING US THEY WOULD LET US IN "in 10 mins).
I say...........GET SOME BUSINESS SENSE! If you allow the line of ppl in to your establishment they will buy from the bar! You will make money on the door sales + alcohol sales. Plus you won't discourage ppl to return. You do not need an MBA to figure out a way to make revenue and still keep your patrons happy.

#2. They have instituted its PRE-SALE crap on their website. The tix have been increased from $10 to $13 at the door (I'm not mad about that......... the rent probably went up) On the website its $20. BUT I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH THE FOLLOWING: The "Bouncer" had a "list" outside the door and was waiting for the pre-sale people to arrive until 10:15pm and told us that we weren't allowed in until the pre-sale people came in and took their seats. WHATEVER WAS LEFT WERE THE "LINE PAYERS" SEATS...................... Is this the NYC version of "Les Miserables"????? The POOR ppl freeze outside on line while the wealthy people sit inside the venue for 1hr 15mins awaiting the rest of the pre-sale ppl.
Not only were we not allowed to go inside until the "pre-sale" ppl came and took their seats but if anyone has been there before they know the venue is not big. So you would need to be like my girlfriend and I (one of the 1st 15 ppl to get a seat. ......the rest....."thanks for your money and for freezing for art............either stand and not see anything or sit on the cold wet floor (from the melted snow)......

#3. Other thing...... NO HEAT INSIDE........... I understand, Hurricane Sandy was hard on everyone. Things are slowly coming back up.......... but COME ON!!!!!!
After 1hr and 15 mins in the snow you get inside and the VENUE IS LIKE AN ICEBOX WITH ONLY 3 HEATERS. 1 for the stage (understandable, 1 for the DJ and 1 at the foot of the stairs. NO WHERE NEAR THE AUDIENCE MEMBERS OR BATHROOMS. I was soooooooo ANGRY AND DISAPPOINTED.

I was still fuming all the way until the MC came on.

#4. The "show" doesn't begin until 11pm BUT DOES THE SITE SAY THAT? NOPE! It says the show begins at 10pm.
So let's recap:
-Arrive @ 9pm
-Freeze for 1hr & 15 mins in the Snow in 9C weather
-Finally get in & Sit in an ICEBOX VENUE for another 45 mins while the rest of the "line-ppl" aka the poor were slowly allowed into the building.

I must say, once the MC "Mojagency Brown" came to the stage and began to perform, and the amazing poets came up my girlfriend and I TEMPORARILY forgot our ordeal.
The Poets were really great. Such a shame b/c I truely enjoyed the performances!

I RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE COMES HERE!

1  Thank Clear_Blue_Gypsy