“Excellent location for midtown NYC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gotham Hotel

The Gotham Hotel
Ranked #229 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent location for midtown NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Great reasonably priced hotel in the middle of midtown, conveniently located for Grand Central station, rockerfella, 5th Ave, Chrysler building, Empire State Building, Times Square, etc. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a street facing room which was noisy but expected in the middle of NYC. Lots of places to eat breakfast. The Red Flame was popular. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room and beware of the sharp corners on the bed (which is huge), apart from that we would definitely go back to the Gotham!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharon F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Great location in the heart of Midtown, steps from Fifth Avenue and the bustle of Times Square.. My room was very large - especially for NYC where it usually feels like you are sleeping in an expensive shoebox. The room also had a tiny terrace - with no view, but the chance to get fresh air was a treat. I especially liked that there were only 4 rooms on my floor. Although every room was occupied, I never heard my neighbors. The staff was superb. Everyone was helpful, friendly and made me feel like I was at home. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is in a great location right near Grand Central. Our room was clean, spacious, and the bed was really comfortable; it was probably the best night's sleep I've ever had in NYC. We got an upgrade to a room with a small balcony, which didn't have a view of anything since it faced other buildings, but the quiet it provided was worth a lot more than the view. The staff were friendly and helpful, and were altogether pleased with our stay.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I would stay at the hotel again. Having welcoming staff (specially Rey doorman) and a great location was a great way to spend my birthday. The rooms were modern and comfortable--perfect for the solo traveler. It within walking distance to Time Square and Broadway Overall it was a great hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We read horrible reviews about hotels in New York so we were a bit apprehensive in choosing a hotel for our first trip to New York. The Gotham Hotel was a pleasant surprise! The hotel staff was amazing (especially Donaldo), the room was large (compared to the what we read online about what to expect in New York), we had private balcony and a terrace for the floor. The location was perfect as well.

I have a few criticisms but not based on the level of service or quality of the hotel. The bed frame is wooden with corners. With less than 18 inches of space around the bed, we both hit our shins. My husband tripped in the middle of the night once and his shins will probably scar. The shower, while spacious, was not designed properly. You have to step into the shower to turn on the water and you end up getting wet with cold water.

On our last day, we checked out of the hotel at 12 noon but our flight wasn't until 7:00pm. We went to lunch, did some shopping and ended up back at the hotel wanting to hang out in the restaurant. The waiter was rude and pretentious. He took my glass of tea off the table without asking me and told me he was required to serve it to me. We ordered an appetizer so that we were not just sitting in the restaurant without ordering. At one point, I was checking on the pasta I bought from Little Italy in my lunch bag. The waiter came over and looked at was I was doing as if I was up to something. It was very awkward and uncomfortable.

That being said, these items will not influence my decision to return to the Gotham Hotel. The hotel staff, service, quality and location was beyond my expectations. We look forward to visiting again and staying at the Gotham.

1 Thank Gentcato
Gotham M, Manager at The Gotham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to review The Gotham. We sincerely appreciate your kind feedback about our Front Office team We a grateful for our location and we are happy that you took advantage of it and enjoyed so many areas of New York City!

On behalf of our entire team, I want to apologize for the poor customer service you received on your last day in the hotel restaurant.

We are proud that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return visit. Please contact the hotel Sales Department prior to making your reservations.

Best Regards,
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for 16 nights and enjoyed my stay. Got an emediate upgrade to a room om the 22nd floor which was lovley, quiet and spacious. The staff were great especially the doormen and Rey especially.
Would defintley recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Mike S, Manager at The Gotham Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your recognition of Rey and our entire team. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future.
Linkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just got back from spending 7 nights at the Gotham hotel. Are we are so happy about everything. The room was very clean and big, the bed was wonderful after a hole day of walking. The staff is so helpful and kind. The location is perfect. This was our first trip to NY and when we come back we will stay at this hotel. LOVE IT !

Room Tip: We asked for a room against the 46th street, that was excellent.