“Would stay again, no hesitation!”
Review of The Gotham Hotel

The Gotham Hotel
Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rochester, New York
“Would stay again, no hesitation!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights recently, we stayed in room 61 on the 6th floor. Room was clean the bed very comfy! The room had a small balcony, which was nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great close to great shopping and many nice restaurants. We would definetly stay again at the Gotham!!!!

Room Tip: Next time I try to get a room above the 10th floor in order to have a larger balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank M5c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Bathurst
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here not expecting anything grand but were greatly surprised, especially after being upgrade to what was a huge room ... The staff were gr8 & we thought you could not beat the location ... Would have no hesitation highly recommending The Gotham.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed in Gotham for ten days room 231 the room was very quiet and the size was great, the bed so big and comfomrtable the staff very helpfull and polite and the location was close to everything.I would definatelly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank fkgolf
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Close to 5th Avenue & shopping, as well as a host of other things. The room was quite large, compared to some hotel rooms we've been in (*cough* Hudson Hotel), with an oversize bathroom and shower, plus the room had its own balcony (room # 143, on the 14th floor). Spent a Sunday night to Monday morning, so it was quieter than usual, I would imagine than a typical weekend stay. Did not try the restaurant, nor did we partake of the breakfast buffet ($15 for hotel guests, otherwise it's $30), as there were other options nearby that were more reasonable. That said, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something close to 5th and the sights.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Ok. I have tried to be a as fair as possible with this review, so here goes..
We fly in from Australia and went to baggage claim to get our limo that the Gotham had organised for us, it wasn't there.. Ok, I hear you say it's not there fault the limo didn't turn up... Agreed, however the way it was handled when we got to the hotel was. The phrase used was "Well, I didn't book it so I know nothing about that", no apology for the mix up, no I'm sorry I'll look into that for you, which after a 27 hr travel time would have been nice. Now, onto the room. I contacted the Gotham 2 weeks before we left (had to phone them as the email address on there website is wrong) to confirm our room. We had booked a skyline room with a couch. After speaking to the girl in renovations I was assured that we had this room. When we finally checked in at 2.45pm, we were given the key to our room on the 18 the floor, only to find out we had been given the wrong room, we had the skyline with a queen bed (not a king as promised) and no couch. I went back down to see what had happened and was told that room was already booked, but we could have it tomorrow? I agreed to this as we were staying six nights so that was ok.
Ok, let's move onto the room. It was very clean, and the balcony was great, with nice views down 46th st. It's a good size, with a nice bathroom and shower, beware the bed's edges, they are sharp and both myself and my partner have cuts on our shins. The bed is self was really comfy, with a great pillows. Now I'll move onto the TV and the aircon. The TV wasn't working when we first arrived, and when I asked someone to come and look at it, they sent someone up who promptly said "what do you want to watch TV for??" I explained we had a long flight and I just wanted to rest, ummm.. Yeah. The TV was fixed but only worked about 90% of the time. Now, the aircon. It is really noisy, and by noisy I mean it rattles like something is loose and rubbing. It doesn't do it on fan, only on aircon, but it does make it difficult to sleep, so after much playing around, we figured out how to make it possible to live with. Set the fan on low, then set the temp 1 degree below the current room temp, then the aircon kicks in and out, still noisy but bearable. I'll now explain why I had to put up with this aircon, as you may remember we where going to move rooms!?, well we didn't do this because they are doing road works out the front of the hotel... All night... At 3am a worker with a grinder was cutting into the road.. Yay... So we decided to stay on the 18 the floor instead of moving to the 10th floor were the couch room was. I was also told that they will be doing this until next year.... So go for a room at the back of the hotel if you don't care about the view and want to sleep.
We did have room service one night, it was nice but for $70 you can do so much better anywhere on Madison ave.
Hotel wifi was good and easy to use, having a safe in the room was good as well.
The Gotham is a hotel with great potential, I think the thing letting it down was the attitude of - I'm not doing that until you complain about it- which to be fair wasn't the case with all the staff, Joanna at front desk was great, and one of the door men ( his name escapes me) was really helpful and even got my a partner a free hot chocolate when she had a craving for it.
So would I stay here again... Probably not, the hotel itself is really nice and in a great location, just the staff, and the organisation let it down. So if you don't care about service, and just want something nice to stay in, in a good central location, then this is the hotel for you. If you want service with a smile, and people who will go that extra mile, stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank vid2uvid2u
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were in town for family reasons, not necessarily as tourists, so were not interested in splurging as we might for an official vacation. Compared with other hotels this one seemed "reasonable" (nothing in NY is cheap!), so we booked it. I was afraid that we might be in for a room that felt tired or slightly seedy... and was certain it would be the size of a closet. I was thrilled to discover that it was none of those things. It was clean, had a modern feel and it's own private balcony -- which, to be honest, was not the most inviting of spaces as it was surrounded by the brick walls of neighboring buildings and all the NYC street noise. But none of that noise was audible in our room.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but it looked to be classy, as did the lobby.

The location is one block from Grand Central. And practically all the sights you want to see are walkable from the front door if you'd rather go on foot.

All-in-all we had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth F
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I would like to recommend if anyone is heading to New York to stay at The Gotham hotel. Perfect location, perfect staff, very accommodating and their customer service is one of the best iv experienced

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple