“One of the worst experiences…”
Review of Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Cross street: W 21st Street
Transit: Take the 1 train to 23rd and 7th Avenue
Description: Enjoy a meal at Bar Eolo and experience our chef's love letter to the region of Sicily. At Bar Eolo: Sicilian Kitchen & Wines, food is thought to be a source of great pleasure as well as an insight into the culture and history of Sicily. Over the millennia, Sicily has been a cultural crossroads, inhabited by the Greeks, Phoenicians, Arabs, Romans, Jews, Normans, Bourbons and beyond. Sicily has kept several elements of these cultures and incorporated them into its own. In a warm and relaxed setting, Bar Eolo serves Sicilian-inspired contemporary fare and offers an award-winning selection of Sicilian wines. Our menus change seasonally and feature typical Sicilian delicacies as well as organic ingredients from local farms. According to Homer, Eolo-Italian for Greek mythology's Aeolus, ruler of the wind- lived on the volcanic Aeolian islands off the north coast of Sicily and was a favorite among the Greek gods. He gave Odysseus a wine bag filled with wind to speed his historic voyage home. Nearly there, Odysseus's curious crew opened the bag, the winds escaped and their ship was pulled back to the Sicilian archipelago. From the chef proprietress: When I think about Sicily, my sensory memories of childhood summers come flooding back: the heat of scorching sun, the view of shooting stars in August, the taste of salt when swimming in the Mediterranean Sea, and the scent of the wind, which delivered the hot scirocco breeze from Africa in the desert-like summers. The air carried warm aromas of bread baking at the nearby panificio, dried shrubs burning to fertilize the soil and garlic and herbs from my neighbors' kitchens. All of these smells arrived at my balcony window thanks to my imaginary friend, Eolo. ~Melissa
New York City, New York
“One of the worst experiences…”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Decided to write my 1st review after what happened last night. I had a unusual night the last time I was here for drinks. The bartender made an out of place comment, I took my things, paid n left. Decided to give it another try, cause, it was close, and it was cold outside. The first thing he says to me "so are u still upset at me?" I replied " whatever, don't remember" I just didn't want to talk about it (that should have been my cue to leave)

He made comments like "how women never know what red wine to choose" (!!) I selected 3 diff wines, not because I didn't know, I love to taste varietals etc…
I asked for the check and asked him if he had any mints, he didn't hear me and I repeated in spanish "que si tienes menta" he's Mexican and we've been speaking in Span-glish. To what he replied "you see, that's the problem with you puertorricans, u seem to have something stuck down your throat when u speak" ok..if he was looking to get me upset again, he finally did. I told him that he had crossed a line, that it was a racist comment. Instead of apologizing he said "it was a joke, relax" no! it wasn't!

He then hid behind the manager who comes up to me, and says "well u always seem to be upset with him" (wow!) he wasn't interested in my version of events. Neither he proceeded to apologize, nothing. The lack of respect was appalling.That's the worst I've ever been treated...anywhere by anyone!
About the food, the meatballs were salty and everything I've tasted has been average. Skip this place, Le Zie, just another block down has great food and service..also just across the street at Il Bastardo they have much better meatballs and yes…great SERVICE.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Jecca L

Nykoping, Sweden
“Avoid”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Let me start off by saying that if u have any complaints about the service or food the "manager" will basically tell u that u are wrong about telling him about it. There are many great restaurants around to waste your time at this place. Do yourself a favor and go across the street or just a block down.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank GeriLi
Cranbury, New Jersey
“Great B-day dinner with family and friends”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Seven of us had dinner here on a Friday night. It was walking distance from Penn Station for the commute home for some of us. The decor was charming and casual and the service was friendly and attentive. We ordered a variety of appetizers and most of us had pasta for dinner. It was all delicious!

• Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“One of my faves but a bit overpriced.”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

One of my favorite restaurants - great pastas and I never need a reservation. But they've recently taken away their half portions and it seems their prices have also gone up. This place has become WAY over priced. For the same price you can go to a 4 or 5 star italian restaurant to be honest. The only reason I go back is b/c I am the type of person who sticks with the same places I like. For the current prices, you can find a better deal elsewhere...

• Visited December 2013
EoloNYC, General Manager at Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are very pleased that you like our food and we highly respect your opinion as a customer.

With regard to the prices, since last year at this time, our prices have been lowered, taking into consideration the economic situation, but we still serve the finest quality, freshest ingredients and everything coming from our kitchen is prepared in-house. For example, this time last year, our pasta with short rib ragu was priced at $13 for a half portion and $25 for a full portion. Without cutting the portion size, we now charge $20 for the same full portion dish.

Please note that half portions are indeed still available on our lunch menu, for our special pastas at dinner and by request with the pastas on the regular dinner menu. We felt obliged to remove the half portions from our regular dinner menu due to the size of our pasta station, there were times on busy nights that the amount of different types and sizes of pastas slowed down the cooking time. We do assure you though that half portions pastas are available to those who ask and our servers are fully aware that they can offer half portions to those diners who prefer that.

We are always grateful to our customers and appreciate your continued patronage.
Thank you.
New York City, New York
“Good food but prices seem high”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I had been in here for a glass of wine earlier in the year. I was having a Board meeting and suggested Eolo because I thought it would be quiet. It was. We were 5, got a table in the back and ordered some food and wine. I had the octopus app which was v good. Two people had a pasta dish and it looked freshly made and v rich. Others ordered fish entrees. I think swordfish was a special that night. Only three people had wine - one glass each. Bill was $36 each inc tip. Seemed high considering I had an app and club soda.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MABM917
We are happy that you enjoyed the quality of our food and thank you for your opinion about our prices.

We run many incentives and would love to inform you - if you are in the neighborhood again - about our "All Day Long Happy Hour" at our bar and bar tables.
We offer:
~ Daily Happy Hour ~
~ $5 glass of Pinot Noir Stemmari
~ $5 glass of Chardonnay Stemmari
~ $8 Cabernet Sauvignon Stemmari
~ $7 glass of Prosecco
~ $5 House-liquor mixed drinks (not including martinis)
~ $6 Small Dishes (long list of bar offerings change daily)

We also offer a special on Sundays:
Every Sunday, enjoy 50% off any bottle of wine regularly priced over $50.

Hope you visit again and thank you for your feedback!