“Great food and service - Very pleasant”

Tamba Indian Grill and Bar
Ranked #4,843 of 13,618 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 27th and 28th
Description: At Tamba you will have the ultimate experience in Indian cuisine. Our menu features authentic specialties from cities throughout India and Southwest Asia, like the fiery Vindaloo dishes of Goa and almond-flavored delights from the Kashmiri mountain valleys. Dine with us and embark on an appetizing sojourn through the tastes of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan at Tamba.
Minneola, Florida
“Great food and service - Very pleasant”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We found Tamba in a review from an airline magazine and decided to try it. We made a reservation. The restaurant is too overly big and quite cozy. The service was great. We got a complimentary appetizer. We were met by the owner. The Mulligatawny soup was very good - I had never had it before and was very pleased. I am still new to Indian cuisine so I had the Chicken Korma. it was delicious. We had a bottle of wine and naan to round out our meal. We were offered rice pudding on the house. Very pleasant dinner and we found a new part of NYC.

• Visited December 2011

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Another great Indian food find”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

There are many choices within the block/area but we chose Tamba because of the $9.95 buffet...we were not disappointed! Good variety of dishes and I liked the buffet set up...not your typical set up...felt more like a pot luck homey friend/family gathering. The sag paneer was very good, with a nice spicy kick, as the chicken tikka masala, the rices and the goat curry. Loved the gulab jamun, not too sweet, just right. Good choice!

• Visited November 2011
Calgary, Canada
“Great value”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The food was a little different for us but we really enjoyed the curries, rice and sides. Note that the restaurant does not sell alcohol - so bring your own. Cheap and cheerful.

Visited October 2011
Cold Spring, New York
“First time trying Sri Lankan food and I am hooked. Delicious!”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I was watching Anthony Bourdains' segment in Sri Lanka, and it left me hungry for their food. I have never tried Sri Lanken food but was aware that it was similar to Indian. I was surprised with how delicious some of the basic appetizers were like the lentil patties (Masala Vadai). I had the Chicken String Hoppers and was delighted with how good the sauces that is comes with blended so well with each other and the seasoned coconut sprinkles. This definitely satisfied my watering mouth after watching that show about Sri Lankan food and I think I found a new restaurant I can take people to for a unique NY dining experience.

• Visited August 2011
New York City
“BIG taste, SMALL portions!”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I recently ate at this restaurant and would have to give it an average rating, let me explain why.

When you walk it, this place is gorgeous. elegant and clean. Can usually be a place to impress business clients or your first date.

Next, they give free papad to start which is nice. But asking for things, such as ice for water, took having to ask 3 different waiters.

Next, although everyone was very nice, our food took FOREVER to come out. I'm talking almost 45 minutes to get ANYTHING. We were starving as was everyone else there. No one even bothered coming by the table to give us an explanation or tell us how much longer to get our food. I mean at the least bring us more papad, it cost you less than 10 cents! No apology either when the food was finally brought to the table. I was ircked.

Then you see the portions, they were TINY, and at $14 minimum a bowl, it was so pricey (maybe not for manhattan???)

Also, naans are smaller than any other indian place i've been to and they dont give even plain rice with the food. This is strange b/c I have never been to an indian restaurant that doesnt give rice, again that rice costs you a dollar AT THE MOST...come on!

The food was delicious though, i mean AMAZING YUMMMMMY food. Everythign was soooo good! The malai kofta, samosa, paneer makahni, jalfrezi...YUMMM. Didnt care for the roti, onion kulcha, or lacha paranta, at $5 each..not worth it! Stick to plain naan because the currys were so delicious you dont need extra stuff for naan.

We used a restaurant.com coupon so our meal came to be a little over $40 for four people, so not at all bad for a meal in the city. But we left hungry and ate when we got home. We had ordered 3 orders of breads, and 3 curries for 4 people. Definetely not enough. I dont think even 5 orders of curries would be enough, but if you go, get at least one per person!

Overall, I would go back only because it was sooo tasty! But would go for a light lunch, instead of dinner.

OHHH and another thing that really annoyed me. Our bill came out to be $41.16, so therefore our change should be $9.84 when we give them a $50 right? WRONG, they gave me back $9! I understand it's only $0.84 but it is so low class to keep the extra money and not even mention it. SO TACKY! And after an hour wait for food, small portions, and they got their automatic $11 tip, they cant even return my change! Even they hate change so much they should the customer an extra dollar, not jip them one.

On a positive side note, the food is the best indian food I have had in my 28 years in NYC.

• Visited July 2011