“Great place to try Korean food for the first time”
Review of Danji

Danji
Reserve with OpenTable
Danji is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #304 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The food here is fantastic. There are the 'traditional' and 'modern' portions of the menu and each has their own delicious gems. The steak tartare (yook hwe) is fantastic as is the scallion & pepper pancake (gochu pajeon). The dish not to be missed however, is the bossam; a pork belly dish served in a spicy sauce. The spicy ginger margarita was a nice accompaniment to the meal as well. The only real drawback to this restaurant is it's size; it's uncomfortably small. It seats probably less than 40 people and the tables are communal, so if that kind of thing isn't your style than maybe the place is not for you.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I tried Danji on my last trip to New York because I love Korean food. I walked from hotel and it was very cold on that night! You are wondering why I am talking about the weather? If it had not been that cold, I would have walked out after being greeted that way from the bartender-waitress! She was occupied playing a game on her iphone and it took a couple of minutes before lifting up her head and acknowledging me. I then made the mistake of asking her the house's specialities...well...she did not take that well and started ranting about how she hated when people asked her that! It was not up to a good start but since I had read that the food was good, I ignored her bad attitude. When I was looking for the menu, 5 persons from a group of 6 arrived and she told them, still with the nasty attitude, that they would have to wait for the last person to be seated. Since the entrance is very small, they were standing in front of the door and blocking the way.

Let's talk about the food now....I had 3 small tapas. I started out the KFC wings and they were very good! I had the audacity to ask for a knife and fork and, you guessed it, the bartender rolled her eyes and gave me only a fork! I then had the beef bulgogi sliders. They were ordinary....good but not great. I ended with the steak tartare and it was excellent! Everything came out very quickly and in 45 minutes I was done!

Would I go back? Maybe I would try it for lunch because the food is good.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Went here with a friend who had never had Korean food. I have adopted Korean children and have been to Korea 3 times. The food here is excellent for people trying this food. Lunch menu limited but if you are new to this - try kimchi trial of 3 kimchies -$5 and the b bim bap very good and the stew. Good ambiance and prices

Reviewed 22 March 2014

There are so many Korean Restaurants in NYC...this is such a great find..Korean Tapas..unique and the food is really excellent. Diverse interesting menu I have eaten there several times and it's always good

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stopped by for dinner (based on a friends recommendation) and were so glad we did. Small place with communal-ish seating. The plates are small/tapa sized. I think we had 8 between the four of us. We started w/the crispy calamari - it was so good we ordered another plate of it! Tried the kfc wings and the ginger wings - both good for different reasons. We ordered both the beef & pork sliders - the beef were better but the buns on both were delicious. Also tried the vermicelli w/peppers - like a beefy, rich, tasty ramen. We very much enjoyed our meal and would love to back!