“Love it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Fabulous place; very friendly doormen. Amazing cabin rooms with all the mod cons. The free 'continental breakfast' merely consisted of a muffin and tea but its better than nothing.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,751)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Hello I was able to attend the beautiful lounge this past Tuesday 7/12/85. I had a surprise birthday there and I had an amazing time until the end. I had a very bad experience with my waitress. I was not able to get her name because when I asked for her she would not come back outside. To make a long story short when it was time for the bill to be paid she kept hounding me over and over. I explained to her we were staying to the end because I had more surprises coming, and some friends were in the bathroom . When I arrive back to my table the bouncer was there and explain to me that she told him we were trying to run out on the bill and wasn’t going to pay. Everyone of course paid and in no way shape or form would I or anyone try to do such a thing. My table which in fact was the only people of color was treated unfairly. This was disgusting to me and ruin my birthday and yotel experience . I Would hope this was not about race and would hope the employees would have a great deal of customer service that would not treat someone so unfairly. I am a blogger and things like this can ruin a business. I hope this will be addressed with their wait staff in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sade060
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

My friends and I stayed here to experience the atmosphere that was advertised on the website. Unfortunately, the experience was not good at all! We did not get the size room that we reserved, and they in fact lost our reservation. We had to argue our way into getting the room we requested. We were promised a curtain to divide the bathroom and bedroom (very necessary when the doors to the bathroom are made out of glass and you have such a tiny room ), but alas when we arrived at our room there was no curtain. This place has potential, but has a long way to go before it's a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Call on a daily basis to make sure you get the room you reserved!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ee_09
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Great combination of everything-brand new hotel, very clean, modern style. Great location 3 minutes to times square, theaters. Rooms are light, modern style. Guys at "mission "this is how they call the reception of the hotel are quick, effective, helpful. Special thanks to Anca and Dominique who took care of us with great attention!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We booked 4 nights at Yotel to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. At first I wanted a fancy upscale hotel (Waldorf-Astoria, etc.) but during my search I came across the Yotel $149 deal. I couldn't resist. I ended up getting an extra bit of money off by using a promo code for the Orbitz website, and it just made sense. Why spend so much money on a room when there are so many other more exciting and memorable things in New York to spend your money on? So it was a go. I've kept my eye on the reviews here and was prepared for some of the 'challenges' but all in all it was a good experience. In order to keep things organized, I will organize my review into Pros and Cons:

PROS:
*new establishment -- feels 'fresh'
*great location -- I don't understand how people can complain about being 2 blocks from Times Square (albeit 2 long blocks) is a bad 'location' - the walk was not unbearable. It felt nice to be a bit 'removed' but be in the thick of it within 15 minutes. Besides, that's part of the whole New York experience!
*staff was excellent. Addressed anything we needed (iron, etc.). Front greeters are genuine and friendly and helpful.
*24 Hour CVS across the street was a godsend -- was like a security blanket. We ended up buying cereal and milk there our last 2 days (my husband has an addiction to cereal, but I digress)...we also bought water and any other toiletries we needed.
*The fridge on the floor to store said milk -- unfortunately the coffee machines were broken
*rain shower was nice
*I liked the smell of the soap! It boasts that it's organic and smells as such! A fixable problem!
*Views were nice from the room
*Outdoor patio was beautiful!
*Storage of luggage at appropriate times
*Liked being able to play iPhone through television -- nice touch!
*Mood lighting in room was nice too!
*niches and smart storage solutions in room
*if you are feeling frisky, the glass shower is visible from the bed if you choose it to be --- use your imagination ;)
*I found the map left in the room for us easy to read
*can't beat free WiFi! A Godsend when you need some info on a destination!
*use of computer on Floor 4

CONS:
*bed WAS firm as outlined in reviews -- we bought a memory foam with us. Personally after sitting on the bed I told my husband that it was 'fine' but he thought it was too hard. (I know it sounds excessive to bring a memory foam with us but we already had it and the cost for an extra piece of luggage still didnt't amount to what a room like that would NORMALLY cost)
*the bathroom situation with just the curtain could get ...awkward. We just turned the volume up on the TV LOL!
*coffee machine was always broken
*drinks are overpriced

I can't speak for the food as I never ordered anything at the restaurants, and we woke up too late for the continental breakfast.

I can't say enough about the staff through -- they seem genuinely interested in helping you and helped us with everything from our bags, to flagging down cabs, etc.

I would recommend this hotel to young couples (or the young at heart!) those who want a nice lounge at the end of the night (it was nice to hang out on the terrace when you weren't ready for bed, but still wanted to feel like you were 'doing' something cool) and the single 20 - 30 something year olds with an open mind.

However, as much as I enjoyed myself, I do think it was a wonderful experience, for the money we paid...but I'll be honest, if the price went up considerably (and I believe it has) I would have to do some more shopping and comparing before booking again. I'm not saying it's not worth paying more, but I would have to see what else is out there.

All in all, a great experience that we enjoyed! We had fun with it -- hope you do too!

Room Tip: I was in 1403 and it had a nice view -- nothing awesome, but of the city streets, which is all I wan...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrownLibra
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

It was a fine stay. How bad could it be at a brand new space? My only complaint is the bed. Rock hard. A futon, I think, on a wood platform. The neighborhood is okay. Obviously undergoing a transformation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stalteri
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

This hotel is not at all what I expected but has continued to exceed my expectations. The staff are just fabulous - I feel like they are friends not grumpy hotel staff. Food is off the hook good and I love my room. The bed is awesomely comfortable, room is spotless, service is lickety split and will recommend this hotel to all my friends and associates. They've only been open a few weeks and still have a few glitches to work out but overall I have another favorite hotel in the States!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business