“Good value...and you get what you pay for...”

YOTEL New York at Times Square West
Ranked #129 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Good value...and you get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay at Yotel. Great concept, reasonably well executed. Rooms are well designed and have almost everything you need. The furniture is starting to look a little worn, and the carpet seems a bit thin. Decor is reminiscent of IKEA, all in purple and grey. Mattress and shower were both fantastic, a welcome surprise. Free coffee and muffins a nice touch, as is the tray in the room to carry breakfast back to your room. Great coffee (free) and small breakfast items for sale (juice, yogurt) at fair prices in addition to free muffins, which are delicious. Waitstaff in restaurant were nice, although I couldn't shake the feeling that they seemed surprised at and unprepared for later evening diners on a Tuesday night. And the only amenites they've cut that I think is a miss is having a box of tissues in the room, and a small pad to make notes. There is a pen, but nothing to wrote on. BYOP, I guess. I actually did bring my own tissues. Last comment...the motion activated A/C is again a good concept...environmentally sound and responsible. Only problem is that the room gets very stuffy at night when you sleep and the sensor doesn't detect movement. There was an override key but we couldn't get it to work.

Room Tip: All are quiet...but rooms are small. Upgrade to next level if a little space matters to you.
Green Features: Very good environmental practices...but again would like an override to keep the room coll at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hello Nancy P!

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you liked the overall feeling and value of the hotel. Thank you for the note regarding the restaurant during Tuesday night, we are looking into this.
We hope to see you soon! If there’s anything we can ever be of assistance with, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at reservations@yotelnewyork.com.

Jose - Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,841)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from NY. We stayed for 5 nights in this hotel. Check in was easy to do at the kiosk, staff are always around on ground or fourth floor if you do reuqire assistance. Location is okay, few blocks from Times Square; only a short walk. Room was great, bed and bathroom - what else do you really need when out all day exploring NYC?? Perfectly thought out. We got coffees and muffins for breakfast; only two types of muffins though - not a lot of choice. We also had water/coffee/tea from the Galley on 9th floor (this was the floor our room was on), Galley was always REALLY cold, not always the cleanest either!! Coffee is better at breakfast. Galley coffee/milk tasted a little funny. Milk is powder form, which may have been why! We also ate at the East/West Lounge on our first night. Menu hard to understand/follow so we opted for the burgers, which were really nice and filling. Had a drink on the last night on the outside area; not busy at all. Somewhere to sit. Drinks a little pricey. Overall hotel experience was good :-)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Hello Katie M!

thank you for sharing your recommendation with us! We are happy to hear we met your expectations on the cleanliness and location! Thank you for the note regarding the temperature on the Galley, we will address.

Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great place to stay and in a great location, wonderful atmosphere. clean rooms, they have plenty of things to do in the hotel as well as great night life around the hotel. I highly recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hello Veronica Rob R!

Thank you for posting your 5 star review on TA! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our hotel and that you will be recommending us as well.

USA
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and I enjoyed Yotel. It's different. You check in at a kiosk, and if all is well, you don't speak to anyone. If you need help, there are concierge on floor 4. As soon as we checked in and got to the room, I got an email, which I read on my phone with all of the info about the hotel...breakfast (muffins, coffee, and tea are complementary, you can pay for fruit, yogurt and other options), check out times, wifi, etc.

You first go to floor 4 in order to take another elevator to the right and around the corner to your floor. The rooms was very small but had everything we needed. Things are well thought out. The bed is motor driven and slides out in order to save space in the room. The matteress is futon style, which is not too soft but reasonably comfortable. The shower and toilet are sort of together. The lighting is pretty good. There is an iron but I couldn't figure out how to use the ironing board. I think it was broken or bent. There was a small floor to ceiling window in the bathroom and we could see the Empire State building from our room.

In the lobby there is a free bag check system where a robotic arm fetches drawers in which you place your luggage and it stores it for you. It takes a while if there's a line so that's a drawback if it's busy but other than that, brilliant!

The morning of check out, I got an email with a button to check out, or pay extra for more time. We checked out. ;)

Bottom line: great economical yet boutique like hotel option at a great location in the city.

1 Thank 26kick
Hello 26kick!

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review with us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed all of the in-cabin amenities we have to offer.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

If you have tons of stuff, the rooms are tiny and lacking the kind of storage you get in a standard hotel room. But I travelled with my teenager who travelled with lots of changes of clothes, and we managed. Its a fun place, and everyone is helpful.
I believe the location is west of Times Square. Not the best area, but my daughter and I walked back late at night and just made sure to walk on the streets with people on it. We were in a premium room. I'm not sure what the differences are - we had a heated towel rack, that might be one of them. The bathroom is connected to the room, there is a curtain separating the room to the bathroom, so that is a little bit different Check in and out was super easy - you can do it online on the computers in the lobby, or even by phone in your room. I liked everything except the elevator music. The hotel is very "Jetsons-like" and the elevator music was a little too strange, but you don't spend much time in the elevator…so no problem really….

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Hello 924DJH!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! We are so pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed our hotel. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests are experiencing satisfaction at our hotel as intended by our crew members.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I was travelling alone so the rooms were fine, but there is no way I would stay there with more than one. The rooms are tiny and absolutely no privacy for the toilet and bathroom, there is a sheet you pull to separate it from the living room. It is cheap however, very cheap by New York standards and for what you pay its amazing value for money. I would stay here again though. A lot of reviews talked about how clean it was, this was one of the first things I picked up that the rooms were not overly clean at all, which was a bit disappointing. The beds are quite hard which I like, and they move up and down which I loved. Free wi if is great also. The location is good, there are delis and restaurants near by, taxis are easy to get out front and time square is 10 minutes away walking. The hotel doesn't do room service, but it has amazing food which you order then pick up, it's very yummy. Don't use the computers downstairs, I stupidly did as I had to pay and print for something, I used a credit card I never ever use and it got skimmed this week for $3600 from America, I haven't used this card in about 2 years so likely they are infected with malware. Also don't take the hotel black cabs to the airport, as they take a very long route to try and avoid tolls which you pay up front for. Overall my experience was not amazing, but I would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: If travelling as a couple get the room with a separate bathroom- not very romantic listening to your...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Elle2003
Hello Elle2003!

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear you would be recommending Yotel. We are looking into your comments and we will follow up accordingly with the parties involved.

Piacenza
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at YOTEL early in January and middle in August this year.
I usually come into the city a couple of times a year, at least, and I always try to find a different hotel to stay in. In my experience there are certainly many beautiful hotels in the city, however the YOTEL is the only I decided to come back (and to stick to).
Thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. Yotel is modern, its location is excellent only a few minutes from Times Square, a hair’s breadth away from Port Authority, metro and bus stations just around the corner… small rooms (standard for NY) but a great use of space, free wi-fi works well and is super fast, complimentary muffins and coffee were great, Galley on every floor constantly provides a water cooler, fridge, microwave, excellent Italian coffee (let’me say it, I’m Italian !) and hot beverages (FREE!), guys at Ground Control are super helpful and friendly (not the same for all the staff at Mission Control: girls are much better than boys), excellent value for money in a word BUT I’m placing reservation for next December and I see that prices are increasing (too much)… it could be a bad approach for the future fortune of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello rita1962Piacenza!

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us! We are so happy to hear you will be returning soon and that Yotel is now your first choice when visiting NYC.
See you in December!