“Booked Reservation”

Ranked #4 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Booked Reservation”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Looked at website didn't mention anything about not allowing kids let alone one child, should update their website if the owner doesn't allow children, kind of pisses me off,
6/8/12

Room Tip: call first
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank tim f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Jyvaskyla
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was my second stay at this place.
When I travel I often use hiltons, swissotels, sofitels and those upclass hotels. This is something different. Don't expect such a lavish breakfast, outwardly friendly (but often distant) service, fitness centers or such (although they do have an exercise bike). Here you are taken care of, you get advise about where to go, what to see, where to shop, how to get easily back to airport and so on. You can chat with other guests at the breakfast and compare your experiences (does not happen in hotels).
So, 5-stars does not mean a 5-star hotel, but B&B.
They had changed buildings recently, and at least my room was very beautifully decorated. Georgia also keeps the place very clean. Unlike some hotels in the center, this wont have any bedbugs or such.
There are rooms with bathroom and refridgerator (like mine), and with shared bathrooms.

The neighborhood? The best there is in New York. I hate it in lower Broadway, you can find almost all the shopping you need to do in Harlem at 125th. You have top grocery stories like Best Yet within a short walking distance, great restaurants. Furthermore, it is easy to reach metro lines 2 to 6 as well as A, B and C which take you quickly anywhere in the East or West side, or to mid- or lower Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Norrmann
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This review is almost (an embarrassing) year late, but I wanted to share my two week stay at Tressies house last May (2011) with other travellers.

After a very late arrival at 1.00amish in the morning, Tressie my host, greeted me at the door with a smile and a hug – to meet someone so nice was comforting after 29 non-stop of long-haul travelling and no sleep was appreciated.

Tressie showed me to my room and what I didn’t expect was how HUGE the tastefully decorated room and en-suite bathroom (especially by New York standards (and this was my 4th visit to New York) was! The room had a very comfortable double bed, single bed, microwave, mini fridge, plasma TV, desk, draws and free Wi-Fi. Welcoming touches included fruit, water, yoghurt and milk in the fridge (from memory) and bath products/fresh flowers in the bathroom.

Tressie is the perfect host and cleaned up after my mess (and my friend Kat’s when she arrived a few days later) every day and made us feel at home. One thing I do remember about my stay and think about it every time I am in a home wares shop is the beautiful scent at Tressies that greets you at the door when you arrive home after a busy day at shopping (must be oil or something). Something small, but welcoming and memorable about the stay.

Georgia and Marie were fabulous with confirming the reservation, preparing our communal breakfast (and again cleaning up after me) and humoring me with general chitchat and reassurance while I got over my bad jet lag! Thanks so much ladies!

The location itself is great – 4 short blocks away from the 116th street subway express stop – 15mins later your in Times Square! There is a train every 10mins or so. Kat and I took an afternoon to walk down 5th & Madison Avenues (one block from Tressies) to Central Park West then onto Columbus Circle. We walked along Broadway towards 106th/Amsterdam where we caught the bus for the last few blocks to Tressie’s place.

I loved my stay and I have recommended this B&B to my friends who are travelling to NYC and will continue to do so.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CollysTravels
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 14 February 2012

i went with my girlfriend on a vacation short trip to New York in november - sorry for the review coming late.....
We were a bit lucky - it must have been low season at that time as we were the only guests in that particular house (the Mount Morris B&B consists of 3 houses totally) - and Georgia, the terrific host/owner put us in the best room there.
i was SHOCKED how spacious that rooms was - the "suite" we stayed in Tribeca earlier on that trip could have easily fitted twice in that room, to give you some measure of the dimension ..... ensuite bathroom was large too ..... nice charming individual deco throughout - ambience was excellent.
Cant give enough praise to Georgia the host - she waited for us on our very late arrival, and always made sure that we were allright; thoughtful, personal service, simply excellent.
A nice breakfast-selection (diverse cereals, muffins, danish, toasts with ham/cheese/jam) was served in another of the 3 houses - a walk of a block or two - morning exercise sort of - we than met the other guests - mostly european (we met german, italian, spanish) couples and groups of friends in their 20-40s.

Finally - a word to the location. Cant fault them for this of course, but its not exactly near anything if you are on a typical tourist-trip (sight-seeing, shopping, going out) to NYC.
on the positive that is a very quiet neighborhood - whereas in the more central Tribeca location i woke up in 04:30 the morning from the noise on the street, you couldnot hear anything in Mount Morris and we slept like kings there.....
to go anywhere the subway is 5 blocks down from Mount Morris - we walked about 10 minutes, which was quite fine. One day we did walk down to Central Park from Mount Morris which was roughly 20 minutes to the northern entrance of the Park and than strolled thru the Park southwards - to go back we went on the subway again.

We got strange looks thoughout from our american friends when we told them we stay in Harlem - they thought we were crazy - however we felt perfectly save in that neighborhood
If anything we found the folks in Harlem more friendly and less stressed out than people in the rest of NYC.

overall - totally positive stay there - wil definitely come back again next time in NYC.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Christian O
Milpitas, California
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I had a great time staying at the Mont Morris Bed and Breakfast locations! We stayed here for a week.There are four locations within a couple blocks of each other. We didn't stay at the location listed here, but at another location along the 120th Street.

Email correspondence is the best way to reserve a room or have issues with the rooms. The owner, Georgia, was very responsive via email. She was also really nice and friendly to talk to in person, especially when giving advice on what areas/attractions to visit.

Georgia decorated all of the rooms with her artistic talents. Each room has a different theme, and they either have a shared bathroom or a private bathroom.

The price of the room came with daily housekeeping, wifi access, and breakfast. The breakfast was amazing since you received a variety of delicious pastries, breads, cereals, coffee, and tea. In addition, you could use a communal computer.

I would definitely stay here again! Plus, the location of the B&Bs are not far from the 116th subway lines.

Room Tip: Work with Georgia on your budget and she can assist.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KeroppiQueen
UK
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Georgia was very helpful and welcoming - especially as I arrived the evening before the hurricane was due to hit Manhattan in August! That said, the air-conditioning in the annexe building that I was in was centrally controlled and presented a real problem. It was extremely noisy and set to a very cold temperature that i couldn't alter; it was also extremely noisy and so kept me awake for much of the night. The alternative was to switch it off and bake throughout the night. My room which was nice was at street level and there was a lot of noise from the street at night. Also, it was a basement room and so very dark - even during the daytime. There was a lot of upheaval and many people were stranded due to the airports closing for the hurricane and I have to say that Georgia's generosity and care to make sure that people were not homeless was great. She opened up one of the studio apartments for everyone and brought lots of food and supervised the cooking of it for everyone during the hurricane weekend, which made the whole event very easy. The location is great for getting around and it's an 8 minute walk from Central Park which is very handy. As we were in an emergency situation, it was a problem that there was no access to radio or television coverage - until Georgia brought in a TV, but this is not normally available.

Room Tip: My room was facing the street level and so there was a fair amount of noise at times. The A/C was c...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank abi1Uk
North Carolina
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I stayed here for four days for a professional conference in the dead of winter. I was traveling on a budget and the rates were certainly right, the online pictures of the eclectic rooms enticing. I could not have picked a better place to stay than Bed and Breakfast Mount Morris. I was in the 123rd St. building, in Room 9. My room was huge, with a large, comfortable bed with down comforter, a sitting area with cozy loveseat and chairs, a full kitchen, and a large, private bath. There was a full-sized closet with an iron (much needed and appreciated!) and the bitter cold was unnoticeable against the formidable radiator. The building was quiet and I felt safe at all times. I was in desperate need of a hair dryer and Georgia made sure one was delivered to me.

I missed breakfast the first morning because I couldn't find the correct house, but subsequent days I was treated to a lovely to start my days with travelers from several countries all gathered around Georgia's dining table. My favorite part of breakfast was interacting with the house dog, Gauguin, who was a gentle and charming addition to the family atmosphere.

The location was actually very good for me and provided a nice break from the hustle of mid-town. The subway at 125th and Lenox took me nearly everywhere I needed to go. There is a Starbucks on that corner, which was perfect for getting off the train, grabbing a hot chocolate, and decompressing for an hour or two in my quiet room before heading out again. A couple doors down from Starbucks, Chez Lucienne offers the best Coq au Vin I've ever had among some of the friendliest people I've ever met. My whole experience in Harlem was excellent, and I would love to come back and spend more time there with Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris as my home base.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business