“Great place to stay in NY”

Bed & Breakfast Mont Morris
Ranked #4 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Graz, Steiermark, Austria
“Great place to stay in NY”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Don't think that there is any better place to stay for this money in NY. A very big room, a nice bathroom and very clean! The breakfast among the other guests was great and we got a lot of interest information of Georgia.

In comparison with South Manhatten, Harlem is absolutely relaxed! For sure we'll com back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this great Harlem B&B. We were really happy with the quality of the room, the fun location and the hospitality of our host, Georgia. She spent some time with us, giving us some tips on getting around and engaging in thoughtful conversation as well. We were able to get around the city easily on the subway. There is also a great restaurant down the street, several small stores and other conveniences. Our room on the 2nd floor was spacious, clean and comfy. Breakfast was excellent as well...nice pastries, yogurt cereal, etc. and interesting conversations with our fellow travelers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at the Mont Morris B&B for a little over a week.
The B&B consists of several brownstones easily accessible off a main avenue subway station in Harlem, and a stones throw from a great sun trap park.
The rooms are clean and uniquely decorated, the breakfast is continental self service with a great selection of pastries, cereals, breads, tea/coffee and so on. The shower was en suite and worked really well with quality towels, the bed was very comfortable with a mattress nearly a foot thick. The room came with air con which was good as the July weather consistently hit the upper 90's all week!
The host was super personable, giving out local and city wide suggestions that the average tourist could spend half their trip hoping to find making the stay a big cut above any hotel help/info. This is the advantage of dealing with people who have lived in NYC for over 15 years of their life and are keen on being helpful with a personal touch.
To boot I had the offer to head out of town last minute for a couple of days and so asked to shift my last two days of booking back by 2 days and to my surprise they were able to accommodate this!
Not standard practice by any means and I think I got really lucky with a late cancellation allowing me to slot in like that. Never the less it's testament to the quality of individual care you can get if you book with someone like Mont Morris and not a large faceless chain.

Overall the stay really made my visit 100% better and I am staying here when I come back in April 2013. I can't recommend it enough for the price you pay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank kevin p
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Looked at website didn't mention anything about not allowing kids let alone one child, should update their website if the owner doesn't allow children, kind of pisses me off,
6/8/12

Room Tip: call first
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank tim f
Jyvaskyla
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was my second stay at this place.
When I travel I often use hiltons, swissotels, sofitels and those upclass hotels. This is something different. Don't expect such a lavish breakfast, outwardly friendly (but often distant) service, fitness centers or such (although they do have an exercise bike). Here you are taken care of, you get advise about where to go, what to see, where to shop, how to get easily back to airport and so on. You can chat with other guests at the breakfast and compare your experiences (does not happen in hotels).
So, 5-stars does not mean a 5-star hotel, but B&B.
They had changed buildings recently, and at least my room was very beautifully decorated. Georgia also keeps the place very clean. Unlike some hotels in the center, this wont have any bedbugs or such.
There are rooms with bathroom and refridgerator (like mine), and with shared bathrooms.

The neighborhood? The best there is in New York. I hate it in lower Broadway, you can find almost all the shopping you need to do in Harlem at 125th. You have top grocery stories like Best Yet within a short walking distance, great restaurants. Furthermore, it is easy to reach metro lines 2 to 6 as well as A, B and C which take you quickly anywhere in the East or West side, or to mid- or lower Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Norrmann
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This review is almost (an embarrassing) year late, but I wanted to share my two week stay at Tressies house last May (2011) with other travellers.

After a very late arrival at 1.00amish in the morning, Tressie my host, greeted me at the door with a smile and a hug – to meet someone so nice was comforting after 29 non-stop of long-haul travelling and no sleep was appreciated.

Tressie showed me to my room and what I didn’t expect was how HUGE the tastefully decorated room and en-suite bathroom (especially by New York standards (and this was my 4th visit to New York) was! The room had a very comfortable double bed, single bed, microwave, mini fridge, plasma TV, desk, draws and free Wi-Fi. Welcoming touches included fruit, water, yoghurt and milk in the fridge (from memory) and bath products/fresh flowers in the bathroom.

Tressie is the perfect host and cleaned up after my mess (and my friend Kat’s when she arrived a few days later) every day and made us feel at home. One thing I do remember about my stay and think about it every time I am in a home wares shop is the beautiful scent at Tressies that greets you at the door when you arrive home after a busy day at shopping (must be oil or something). Something small, but welcoming and memorable about the stay.

Georgia and Marie were fabulous with confirming the reservation, preparing our communal breakfast (and again cleaning up after me) and humoring me with general chitchat and reassurance while I got over my bad jet lag! Thanks so much ladies!

The location itself is great – 4 short blocks away from the 116th street subway express stop – 15mins later your in Times Square! There is a train every 10mins or so. Kat and I took an afternoon to walk down 5th & Madison Avenues (one block from Tressies) to Central Park West then onto Columbus Circle. We walked along Broadway towards 106th/Amsterdam where we caught the bus for the last few blocks to Tressie’s place.

I loved my stay and I have recommended this B&B to my friends who are travelling to NYC and will continue to do so.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CollysTravels
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 14 February 2012

i went with my girlfriend on a vacation short trip to New York in november - sorry for the review coming late.....
We were a bit lucky - it must have been low season at that time as we were the only guests in that particular house (the Mount Morris B&B consists of 3 houses totally) - and Georgia, the terrific host/owner put us in the best room there.
i was SHOCKED how spacious that rooms was - the "suite" we stayed in Tribeca earlier on that trip could have easily fitted twice in that room, to give you some measure of the dimension ..... ensuite bathroom was large too ..... nice charming individual deco throughout - ambience was excellent.
Cant give enough praise to Georgia the host - she waited for us on our very late arrival, and always made sure that we were allright; thoughtful, personal service, simply excellent.
A nice breakfast-selection (diverse cereals, muffins, danish, toasts with ham/cheese/jam) was served in another of the 3 houses - a walk of a block or two - morning exercise sort of - we than met the other guests - mostly european (we met german, italian, spanish) couples and groups of friends in their 20-40s.

Finally - a word to the location. Cant fault them for this of course, but its not exactly near anything if you are on a typical tourist-trip (sight-seeing, shopping, going out) to NYC.
on the positive that is a very quiet neighborhood - whereas in the more central Tribeca location i woke up in 04:30 the morning from the noise on the street, you couldnot hear anything in Mount Morris and we slept like kings there.....
to go anywhere the subway is 5 blocks down from Mount Morris - we walked about 10 minutes, which was quite fine. One day we did walk down to Central Park from Mount Morris which was roughly 20 minutes to the northern entrance of the Park and than strolled thru the Park southwards - to go back we went on the subway again.

We got strange looks thoughout from our american friends when we told them we stay in Harlem - they thought we were crazy - however we felt perfectly save in that neighborhood
If anything we found the folks in Harlem more friendly and less stressed out than people in the rest of NYC.

overall - totally positive stay there - wil definitely come back again next time in NYC.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple