“Mont Morris Home from Home”

Bed & Breakfast Mont Morris
Ranked #4 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Mont Morris is the perfect home from home. A beautiful brown stone building. Located in a lovely safe historical area, with lots of local restaurants, and amazing sites nearby. The nearest subway is 125th and 116th (5 min walk)

Georgia was the host with the biggest heart! Always going out of her way to make everyone feel so welcome, she would sit with everyone and offer advise, and was always more then ready to help out when any problem arose. We were really grateful for everything that she did for us (would it be advise on where to go, on subway routes, calling home, helping out with the key she was always there) I must mention the great staff that work along side her.

The B&B has a unique yet extremely tastefully feel to it. We were located in the second building, and had the small room (which was v small) saying that we didn't spend that much time in there.

I really enjoyed my stay at Mont Morris & would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PurpleGlad

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Mont Morris B&B very much. The location is a little sketchy, but luckily the subway is close by and it's easy to get downtown to enjoy all the touristy stuff (just make sure you take the station at 125th and Lenox!). Our hosts were so sweet and helpful. The breakfast was served in a different building and the breakfast area is very small so you get real close and cozy with the other guests, which might bother some, but we quite enjoyed the small talk and chatter with the others about their experiences in the city and their next travel plans. The rooms are whimsically designed and the b&b feels very homey and friendly. Great value for NYC.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariaGisladottir
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel is located less than 5 walking minutes away from the 116th street station, which is served by the 2 and 3 lines. That's about 15min travel time to Times square. In exchange, you will pay Harlem prices for your room instead of downtown prices... it's your choice really.
The atmosphere is very friendly - Georgia will really do everything she can to make her guests feel at ease and provide them with all the sightseeing tips you need - or leave it to you to go discover New York, if that is what you want.
The rooms come in different sizes, and most of them can suit up to 3 persons. They are spotless clean, nicely furnished and comfortable. In at least one of the rooms you even had a cooking corner with fridge + microwave oven.
Yes, you are in Harlem and not downtown, but if you're worried about safety all I can say is that I felt safe even when coming back late - and I am normally a bit paranoid about safety.
It was a very wise choice which I would recommend to any friend visiting New York.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TamaTareco
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Sadly, Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris is in a neighbourhood without a lot to offer the casual tourist. After trying a couple of restaurants and cafe's, including Il Cafe Late on Malcolm X Boulevard which was recommended in the hotel literature, I gave up and ate in the east village for the remainder of my stay. Several locals were openly hostile: I was spat at on more than one occasion, I was shouted at by various crazies, and once to my amusement I was gesticulated at by a restaurant goer from the window.

I was relatively happy with my room though. I stayed in the Tiny second floor room (accurately described) and it was modern and very attractively furnished although the small windows meant that it received very little natural light. But good value for Manhattan at $85 a night.

Georgia was charming, and full of useful advice, although I only got to chat to her on my last day as she was holidaying the rest of the time I was there. Breakfast was a haphazard affair, with guests perched awkwardly on benches and previously mentioned, the stairs. The breakfast room was also locked during the day which was disappointing, it would have been nice to have a common area to swap stories with other guests outside of breakfast time.

Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris is an effective base for exploring Central Park and the museum district, it's just a shame about the neighbourhood.

Room Tip: The Tiny rooms are true to size
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Appoooh
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We left with mixed feelings about our stay. On the plus side: a lovely room; free and fast wifi; quirky, thoughtful furnishings; a good location; helpful tips emailed to us in advance; the owner and staff were quick and responsive to issues we raised (including a discount for a mistake over the number of beds we required in our room); reasonable value; and the charming gesture of some hand-baked cookies as a farewell.

On the down side, the breakfast arrangements. We were not warned that breakfast is in a building two blocks away (some of the rooms are in the building where breakfast is served, so not all visitors need experience this). I think this becomes more of an issue when you are not alerted in advance, than it actually needs to be. And then the breakfast environment was, well, quixotic. A buffet breakfast is served from a corridor. The room where you sit has no tables, just benches. And on the morning we tried it, there was not enough seating for everyone; some people were seated on the stairs. Some people will like this bohemian atmosphere. My mother, who is in her late 70s, was not so comfortable with it. I would suggest that visitors staying in the annexe are offered slightly lower rates but can opt in to breakfast if they choose to pay a bit more - then they can do their own thing if they prefer it. We found Sylvia's Soul Food (just as close) served a really nice breakfast, in a very welcoming atmosphere, and Lenox coffee, just a bit further on, is a cheaper alternative.

One final thing, if you plan to stay. (This is definitely my problem and nothing I would lay at the door of the owners!) The B&B is close to 125th street subway. However, there are FOUR stations with that name; a confusing concept to people familiar with other metro systems. If you go to the wrong one, as we did, you will risk stumbling around for an extra 15-20 minutes in Harlem. Harlem is safe enough, but if, like us, you are wheeling big noisy cases at 10pm at night, you feel conspicuous and somewhat exposed. So 125th at LENOX is the subway you want.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank whitstablite
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I travel quite a bit with work but this one was for pleasure....a week in New York with my brother and sister. We had great communication with Georgia before we arrived, plenty of hints and tips, and on arrival discovered we had a fantastic big room with an ensuite, superb value ..... and a nice change from the normal corporate decor.
It's more like staying wth friends than in a hotel, perfect for us but I understand that this isn't everyone's thing.
I'd happily recommend staying here to anyone, see some parts of New York you may not get to normally.
Thanks Georgia

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ukteros
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Mont Morris. Our room was perfect: beautifully decorated, clean and in a beautiful old building. Georgia was so friendly and went out of her way to make our stay special. The morning coffee was worth waking up for and the choices at breakfast were perfect. The location was great: out of the the business of downtown Manhattan, yet still close enough to get there in less than 20 min on the subway. If I go back to NYC I will definitely stay at Mont Morris again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple