“Amazing room, unfortunate issues”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #31 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The room was fantastic. It was big with a great view, comfortable bed and living room area. However, I made my reservation very far in advance and it was not until I checked in did they notify me that there was a huge run scheduled for during my stay. It definitely affected the quality of the service as well as the convenience of our stay. I wish someone would have told me in advance that there would be issues, instead of apologizing with a note upon our arrival.

Additionally, the one time I asked for directions, I was pointed vaguely in the direction I should go without any specific instructions and what she meant was in no way intuitive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,492)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at this property back in 2008 when it was an Embassy Suites.

The refurb is to a very high standard and it is a luxury hotel.

The thing that was disappointing was the lack of staff on reception. On check-in, which for us was around 5:30 p.m. on a Friday, there was only 1 person on duty, hence a wait of >20 mins.

There was a queue there most times we walked past - we stayed there 4 days.

As HHonors Diamond members we got an upgrade to a river view room.

The HHonors complimentary breakfast was not as good as the Conrad Chicago we had just stayed in. The continental version was literally either toast or pastries (not both) and just 1 hot choice of scrambled egg brushetta (which was actually quite nice).

A luxury hotel which could earn top marks with some careful consideration.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Conrad is the Anti-NYC hotel! The staff is relaxed and friendly, the rooms are large and modern, and the location is convenient to Battery Park, the stock exchange, 9/11 memorial, the SEC, and the world financial center (all short walks). As a bonus, there is a large movie theatre almost attached to the property if you have time to kill. If you have time, walking along the waterfront at sunrise is spectacular - and at the end there is a Starbucks in the world financial center at 200 Liberty to cap off your walk. I don't think you can find a better combination of room quality, location and price in this part of Manhattan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river if possible
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel Conrad may be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The location near the Hudson is amazing. We had our 4-year-old along with us and it was an ideal property. The rooms are huge and having a separate sleeping area for a little kid was great. The bed was uber comfortable and the linens amazing. The building is physically spectacular.

Generally, the service was lacking considering how high end everything else was. I tried to make reservations for the Ario and the phone call was cutoff on the transfer. I called the hotel back and a a random person from accounting answered. Several times we made requests of housekeeping that took forever to be honored. The second time the turn down service came in without knocking, but since we were waiting for extra sugar, it was all good. Trying to get a help with our luggage this morning was an ordeal. The phone for the bell desk rang and rang without anyone ever picking up. A phone call to guest services said that they would get someone up. Thirty minutes later, nobody. I called again and they said someone would be up shortly. I pressed this person on how long it would be, as we were on our way to the airport. Only then did she actually find out we were in the cue.

All in all, if they can get the service up to par with everything else, this hotel will be a favorite when visiting NYC.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of the Conrad NY in Battery Park after 7 nights here. Here is the good, bad and ugly:

- great location, the area is an enclave in downtown NY
- nice rooms, modern and fresh
- great restaurant in hotel lobby and great restaurants adjacent to the building

But, so many problems:
- screwed up my room at check in
- if you have to go to the front desk be prepared for a long line, the desk is barely attended to
- impossible to get anyone to pick up the phone, concierge or front desk. I had to call and just hear the ringer endlessly, this happened all week
- I stayed for a week and during that time my room key or room lock was deactivated at least 10 times. I would have to call the front desk from my mobile and 90% of the time get no answer, so then have to go downstairs to the reception and they would send someone up to open the door. This would take 20 minutes each time. I was late to meetings because of this.
- useless, inconsiderate staff at reception desk and answering the phone.

This hotel is really just a dressed up Embassy Suites that was converted into a Hilton / Conrad. Really disappointing experience, but the worst part about it was the lack of service. Never staying at a Conrad or Hilton again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Walle2008
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Vikas,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate the quality accommodations you expect and deserve.

Jimmy

Jimmy Sarfraz
Resident Manager
102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a three night break at the Conrad hotel and cannot fault it. We had a fantastic room which was spacious and modern with a very comfy bed, over looking the new world trade centre. The staff were friendly, especially Morris who was very helpful. The hotel even provides free bottles of water and replenishes soap products frequently! The location is very pretty overlooking the Hudson River and New Jersey, such a stunning view in the evening. I will definitely be returning to this hotel. 5 stars.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Lau111

Thank you for sharing this review via TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear you had an exceptional "First Class" stay with us at the Conrad New York earlier this month. I am glad you appreciated the level of service from our staff as well as our scenic Lower Manhattan location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Jimmy Sarfraz
Resident Manager
102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 18 October 2013

What a great hotel! I stayed in room 1013 which was very spacious - the door opens into a living room with sofa/tv, a decent sized bathroom on the right with two double beds at the far side of the room. The room was immaculate with a twice daily service, coffee/tea maker, fully stocked mini bar and quiet air con. Admittedly, I didn't eat in the main restaurant as the hotel catered for our company however what I did sample was ok...mainly scrambled eggs/croissants for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and bar snacks which consisted of sliders and fingerlings. There are some nice eateries nearby, one called the Blue Smoke which is underneath the hotel. If you like meat this is the place for you!
In terms of location, this hotel is great for business but if you prefer to be in the thick of NYC probably not so good as you'll end up forking out for taxis Close enough to Greenwich/Tribeca area...if you don't mind a leisurely stroll.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business