“Snowy Valentines for 30th Anniversary” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #30 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Irby, United Kingdom
“Snowy Valentines for 30th Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Conrad for a long weekend including Valentines Day and Presidents Day, there was a foot of snow on the ground but the side walk all around the hotel had been cleared, the doorman was helpful and pleasant. Kosheena was our check-in hostess, who I would like to thank for arranging for a complementary bottle of Champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries which were waiting in our room on our return on Valentines Day.
The Deluxe Suite on the 6th floor was spacious, contemporary, clean with a well stocked fridge, nespresso machine and toiletries. The suite was positioned at the rear of the hotel facing the Goldman Sachs Building but this wasnt a problem as we had not paid for a river view.
We found the service to be excellent, the Atrio Restaurant was very competative and the Hanger Steak was one of the best I have eaten, the Valentines Special Dinner was excellent too. Although we would also recommend the Blue Smoke BBQ and also PJ Clarkes.
The Suite was always immaculate on our return. Transport was on the doorstep with numerous cabs, buses and the ferry to New Jersey situated across the road. The Subway was only a few blocks at Chambers Street ( although the WTC was shut for the weekend).
My Wife and I could not recommend this hotel highly enough and we were glad to be away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square.
The views across the Hudson both day and night are spectacular from the 15 storey atrium lobby, it was a pity the roof top bar was closed through the winter season.
New York in the Summertime, we would definitely chose the Conrad.

Room Tip: Pay for the River View on the upper floors
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ConradNewYork, Front Office Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We are thrilled to hear both you and your wife had an exceptional Valentine's Day stay with us here at the Conrad New York - Thank you for sharing your review! We glad you appreciated our Downtown NYC location, spacious and well-appointed guest suites, as well as our restaurant's quality of food and service. We hope to welcome you back again soon during the warmer months to enjoy our rooftop bar and all of the wonderful summer activities our neighborhood has to offer.

Kind Regards,
Yon

Yon Guerricaechebarria
Director of Front Office Operations
Email: yon.guerricaechebarria@conradhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed at the Conrad for a week, on a low floor on the streetside. The hotel is above average for many in New York, with good size rooms intelligently set out (good light controls, good aircon, showers big enough for a westerner, good soundproofing between rooms). Front desk staff and door staff were awesome. Areas that could be improved are:

i) The concierge is only on duty part time (0900-2100). For a top range hotel, I expect 24 hour concierge help as that is often when you need it. They also messed up a limo booking and didn't seem that interested in making sure the customer came first - unusual for a concierge in my extensive experience.
ii) Window soundproofing to the street is not so fantastic - snow ploughs were very noisy, which is not the hotels fault, but sealed doubled glazing should be the standard for all hotels now who want to be 4 star +
iii) room service not awesome. Doesn't matter so much in NY with the range of options around, but sometimes you just want a decent meal after a long day. We stopped ordering room service due to the very average quality

Overall, though, definitely on my list of hotels to use again as it is head and shoulders above most I have stayed in in NY.

Room Tip: go high floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just back from a 3 night break with my fiancee didn't expect such a fantastic hotel ,super helpful staff and great food . Our room was a suite which was much larger than expected and wow !! peace in New York.
The only minor irritation was no where to hang the fluffy white (so soft) robes in bathroom and only a over the bath shower but as I said a minor irritation
cant recommend this place enough to anyone lucky enough to go to the Big Apple

• Stayed February 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I spent the Valentine's weekend at the Conrad. Everything at the hotel was excellent from the moment that we checked in til the moment that we left. We had booked through Priceline and as such felt we were very fortunate to have a weekend in a 5 star hotel at a very reasonable price. Thought that we might find that we would be treated differently than rack rate guests when we checked in based on a couple of reviews that I read but our experience was not that at all. The front desk reception was excellent (Darwin I think was his name) and he made us feel most welcome as we checked in. In addition to the front desk, the room cleaning staff, the concierge and the doorman were all very friendly and very helpful too.

The hotel itself is beautiful and really striking when you first enter. The hotel is close to the financial district and not far from Tribeca and great restaurants. There is also a great walking path just out the door so if you are a runner or cyclist it is a great place to stay and my wife and I had a wonderful run along the river. There are also great little shops handy where you could buy snacks and wine which was very convenient.

The bed, pillows, sitting area and shower along with the other room amenities were as expected in a top hotel and we couldn't be happier than to have chosen this hotel for our weekend away. I hope that we will return to the Conrad again one day!

Room Tip: We were in room 434 ... could just see the water but we weren't there for the outside view! We...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConradNewYork, General Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you very much for choosing the Conrad New York for your Valentine's Day weekend in NYC. We are happy to hear that both you and your wife had a very memorable stay with us and appreciated our prime Downtown location, friendly and helpful service from Darwin and the rest of our staff, as well as all the amenities and features of our guest suites. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Robert

Robert Rechtermann
Email: Robert.Rechtermann@conradhotels.com
Phoenixville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family doesn't have much occasion or the financial resources to stay at luxury hotels with any frequency and it was nice to feel like our time at the Conrad was worth the expense. Morris the doorman played a large part in creating that feeling. Morris was the first ambassador from the hotel that we encountered when we pulled up to the Conrad after a long drive with our two toddlers. He helped us get a spot close to the curb so we could unload, he directed me and my desperate 4 year old son to the nearest bathroom, he helped my husband load up the luggage cart with our belongings, he explained the valet parking option to us (which we were glad to take advantage of), he helped direct us to the nearest restuarants for dinner, and the next morning told us about a great bagel place for breakfast. And of course he hailed numerous cabs for us. He was warm and friendly and he knew my name. My four year old son just asked me what I was doing and when I told him I was writing about Morris he turned to his father and said, "Mommy wanted to take him home with her."

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have stayed that the Conrad 2x within the last year. The hotel lobby is striking, and sets the stage for the rest of the stay. The rooms are almost as beautiful, with a high(ish) tech light control pad at the entrance, a sitting room with TV, and nice comfortable bed(s). There are sliding door between the sections of the room, so you can sit in the living room section and close the door to the bedroom to keep it quiet for someone sleeping. Also, the couch is pretty large, and comfortable for a person to sleep on if they so chose. Lastly, the living room space is surprisingly convenient to sit with friends/have people to your room. In most hotels, the beds are in the way, making conversation difficult, but here, the space is large and has tons of seating with no beds to make things awkward. The only negative is that valet parking is $15/day more expensive for the neighborhood lot than it is to self-park. (However, don't expect that parking is a deal; it's about $50/day already). If you drive and you're brave, I've heard that street parking isn't too bad, but with a snowstorm my last visit, I wasn't able to test out the theory. In spite of the parking, I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the second time I have submitted this review so hopefully it will get through and not be deleted, maybe because I used the word sex?

Anyway I have further things to add now (which I would not have done if my review had of stayed up and be answered):

The mini bar locks up if it thinks you are storing your own drinks - there are senors all over it and there is a $25 restocking fee if you use it for your own drinks/food - be warned.

The safe does not work.

We only had one robe and one pair of slippers.

But the reason I put this review on (and I hope it does not get deleted, as I will make sure the review circulates more widley)...is because on Saturday night just gone we could hear 2 people having sex loudly, shouting and screaming (it was like a scene from when harry met sally), although we were in a hotel not Katzs Deli. The sound proofing on these rooms are terrible and thus gave me a bad and interupted sleep, one of the key elements to a good hotel is a good sleep - this one failed. Do not stay here is you want to sleep. I originally submitted this review while at the hotel and it was disappeared and was not answered.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JH72
ConradNewYork, Front Office Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback about the uncomfortable noise from neighboring guests. Your comments will be helpful in our efforts to continually improve our guest experience, while also looking into ways to better soundproof our suites. We have sent you a private message as well to gather more information about your stay to hopefully be able to to rectify the issues. We hope you will consider staying with us again so that we have an opportunity to provide you with the true smart luxury experience you deserve.

Yon