“Time to retrain the restaurant bar staff”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #30 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is my second review of the Conrad hotel in NYC and in actuality, I am reviewing the hotel's restaurant Atrio. I arrived for a one night stay for business this week. While enroute from the train station, I did pre-check-in through the Conrad app and considering pre-ordering ordering room service, as well. However, I arrived so quickly that I decided to just sit at the restaurant bar and do some work over lunch there.

I checked in around 2:30PM and after dropping my things off went down to Atrio. It was mostly empty at that time. I was greeted by a hostess and sat at bar near the end, but in sight of two bartenders who were engaged in what sounded like a personal debate. ( Should anyone from Conrad read this review, one was a younger African gentleman of about 50 and the other a younger Latino man). After a good five minutes I was approached by the younger bartender with the older one immediately following him. I ordered a fixed price 3- course lunch special for $25 and a glass of wine. There were a few minutes of confusion about the how to place the lunch special order and then they confirmed the wine choice.

After the wine was brought ( there was no offer of bread or water), the younger bartender asked if I wanted to start a tab. I told him that the wine was with my lunch and I didn't need start a tab. He then asked for my credit card to hold or was I a guest of the hotel and going to charge it to my room. I told him that i was a guest but planned to pay the bill when I was done eating--after the food had been served---as in any other restaurant. The older bartender then intervened and service was fairly normal after that episode except that they charged me for a higher priced glass of wine that what I ordered. It was a $3 difference, so I let it go.

However, the exchange about starting a tab and leaving a credit card was awkward and felt like a profiling incident. ( I am and American of the human race ). One other businessman came in while I was eating and ordered an actual cocktail and did not have the exchange I had.

This was my second stay at this Conrad and I would gladly stay again as I enjoy their rooftop bar, but there seems to be some staff training issues in Atrio that need to be addressed before something spectacularly unpleasant happens.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Farmerica
ConradNewYork, Director of Food & Beverage at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had in our restaurant's bar. We do our best to ensure every guest receives the best service possible and we regret having dropped the ball. I have shared this review with our staff to ensure we may work to better preserve the satisfaction of our guests moving forward. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the quality hospitality you deserve, should you return to the hotel and choose to dine in ATRIO in the future.

Tucker

Tucker Flake
Director of Food and Beverage
102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: Tucker.Flake@ConradHotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,437)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hands down the VERY best shower I have ever had in a Hilton brand Hotel. Good room layout, space. Perfect bed and linens. Breakfast was delicious although took quite some time to arrive to the table. Enjoyed the Quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank gotbetterweather
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I will stay again at the Conrad in Battery Park City. The room was large and comfy, the neighborhood is lovely, and the view from the rooftop bar is spectacular! I got a great picture of the water and Statue of Liberty during our cocktail hour.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Daphne K
ConradNewYork, General Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Daphne,

We are thrilled to hear you had a memorable stay with us at the Conrad New York and found our hotel to be a true gem in Manhattan! I am happy you had the chance to enjoy our Rooftop Bar and its views, as well as our spacious and comfortable all-suite accommodations. I am glad to hear you plan on returning and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Robert Rechtermann
102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: Robert.Rechtermann@conradhotels.com

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in March 2014. First of all it is a new hotel, and even with only that , it is a gem in Manhattan. It's conveniently placed in Manhattan (closed to old World Trade Towers) but due to events of Sep 11, the prices are very favorable compared to other NY hotels, and you get very decent sized rooms. We stayed in a family suite which allowed us to put our 3.5 year old daugther to sleep and slide the door of the bedroom and watched TV, surf the internet comfortably in the living area, without waking her up. The hotel is superbly quite for a hotel located in Manhattan. Room service was quite good, concierge was very helpful. It's very close to Century 21 so good for shopping. The only issue we had was with the bell boy, when we asked him to call a taxi for us going to the airport. He was not helpful at all with our bags and we had to carry them all ourselves, but i'm sure the NYers will provide him with sufficient amount of nagging and he'd need to amend his behavior to survive. I'd recommend this hotel as a business hotel and as a family stay. had no issues with staying a bit further away in Manhattan with a small kid. The size of the rooms are all worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AshleekaDubai
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just returned from a 4 day stay in wonderful New York City. Our first visit and were so delighted with our choice of hotel. From our arrival to check-out the staff were so helpful, polite and informative. Although the hotel has a high end feel, superb quality throughout, there is no pretence, all are welcome, business, couples, families, they cater for everyone. Our room was exceptional, more a suite, with views of The Hudson from one window and Statue of Liberty from another. Being Brits we asked for a kettle to make our tea and this was not a problem at all. We could always ask for ice too. We liked the location. Easy walk to 9/11 memorial and Liberty Island tours. Was quieter than midtown but still with plenty of places to eat and drink very near by. Elvez, a Mexican restaurant, just around the corner, was great. Also a great bar called Woodrow is a must. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant one evening and we were not disappointed. We actually met the chef in the lift who was charming and sent our table a complimentary appetiser, which was delicious as was the meal. We will certainly come back to The Conrad again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I decided to take my wife and family to NYC for Mother's Day so I reserved a room at the Conrad. We all enjoyed the facility and the location. I especially liked the proximity to a great restaurant and bar. The front desk staff were very good, but the wait staff, though adequate seemed unfriendly and did not wear a smile. The breakfast was extremely fresh, heathy and tasty. The building was obviously acquired from another hotel and did not have the old Conrad feel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Conrad Hotel in the Financial District is a relatively new hotel - quite rare for New York. If you are have meetings in the area, the location is great. For tourists, it's a short trip to get into the heart of manhatten. Hotel is surrounded by tall buildings, like most NY hotels, but you do get some water views.

Rooms are long and thin, an unusual arrangement. If you get a suite, you get a sitting area in the front with no windows and a bedroom at the back with a good size window. I'm not a fan of this arrangement - you spend most daylight hours in the sitting area, and it feels a bit dark / claustrophobic without a window.

Lobby is impressive, facilities like bars etc are nicely designed in a typical contemporary Conrad style. Seems to host lots of business meetings / conferences, which may be a problem if you are looking for a quiet drink. But in NY, you are generally going to get stuck with either the business groups or the tourist groups.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business