“Friendliest Place in Times Square”

Hilton Times Square
Ranked #104 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Paso Robles, California
“Friendliest Place in Times Square”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed 8/14/12 - 8/17/12. This was a fantastic experience! We were dead tired when we arrived having flown all night. Raquel at the front desk could not have been nicer and got us into our room very quickly even though we arrived early. Kenny from the bell staff greeted us warmly and made us feel very welcome. The concierge staff took care of our dinner and car reservations. The room was spotless and the view breathtaking. The location of the hotel is right at the center of everything. We felt at home here. We would definitely stay at the the Hilton Times Square on future visits to New York.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Arrived 8/18/2012. Booked hotel through hotels.com and revised dates. I received confirmation with new dates. After driving 12 hours we were ready to check in - - only to find out hotels.com did not contact Hilton. I showed front-end manager "Christian" confirmation and he immediately called hotels.com. Considering I did not make book reservations directly with Hilton, he did not need to take the time to sort out. However, Christian and Chap provided superior customer service to help get things straight. I would highly recommend this location. Christian was transferred from one person to the next and was disconnected two times when talking to hotels.com representative. You do not get Hilton points when booking through another website.

Room Tip: Right in Times Square so close to all the action. If you want quiet - - request room towards the to...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Several things—combined—made my stay outstanding:

1. Excellent location—especially for your (your family’s) 1st, 2nd or not-recent trip to NYC; also a key travel hub to and within NYC.
2. Very cost-effective for families—HTS has many queen doubles; with optional cot this can take care of 5 people. Many TS hotels have few/no doubles, or just 2 singles not queens.
3. Also cost-effective: free microwave, refrigerator you can request in reserving room
4. Attractive, quiet, very comfortable for a sound sleep.
5. The room rate was reasonable for TS this time of year. More below.
6. The alert, personable staff is exceptional. They have figured out how to make people happy—and they really like doing it. It shows. More below.

Room rate. Manhattan is expensive (no secret there). HTS is a high-quality property—with about 1,500 reviews, it has 4.5* from TripAdvisor guests and 4.0* from TripAdvisor. With multi-million dollar room redesign phased in soon, already-popular HTS will be even more sought-after. That touches affordability--which for me is at least as important as rooms and staff. To keep things affordable for me to stay at HTS now and whatever happens in the future, here is a range of things I considered, some specific to HTS:

For best hotel and air price, availability, and discounts: I try to book early for NYC--ideally for slower seasons (January–March or July-August) and without a city-wide or large event in NYC.

Consider TripAdvisor and other web sites including Hilton. Call Hilton and HTS directly to ask about rates, promotions and any discounts. I felt the research time I invested paid off.

HTS does not offer complimentary breakfasts, which can be a good deal. But eating modestly or using an HTS free microwave and refrigerator, you might not need the buffet breakfast--or need to pay for it one way or another in the room rate. The microwave and refrigerator go beyond convenience--they can save big money.
Manhattan and theater district parking can run $50+ daily. Ouch! Discounted parking nearby is sometimes available. Ask your concierge to help you--including knowing any discount rate in advance, where to go after first discharging passengers and baggage, and whether you can return to your car during the day or go in and out without extra charge. (You may decide to pay more for the convenience.)

Many of the world-famous things in NYC are free or close to it. Your concierge can help. .

Discounted theater tickets have a place in an affordable stay. HTS is very near TKTS, the discount ticket booth for same-day Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Your concierge can find out what (un-advertised) shows are likely to be offered and percentage discount, provide you the booth hours for that day, how early to go, and suggest a strategy in case 2 or 3 shows you want at TKTS are either sold out, or did not place any or sufficient tickets with TKTS that day. If you prefer a discount and a reservation, your concierge may be able to help.

STAFF. They have a service mindset. if anyone encourages you to contact them for any need or question, take them up on it. THEY MEAN IT. It’s not just cordial chit-chat at this place. If they offer you their card, keep it. Big or small: if a request or question is genuine, it qualifies.

The two staff members I dealt with most were Chad Nathan (rooms manager) and Irena Simonova (concierge). Chad is often at the desk and available. I was interested in the room configurations available at HTS and Times Square hotels. He is very personable and left the desk to show me two completed rooms in the redesign project about to begin--including new features built responding to guest suggestions. Rooms are nice now, but the rooms and bathrooms will be wow! More basic to me was: I received generous, undivided attention on what mattered to me.

Irena is an excellent concierge. She was interested, patient, and had a wealth of current information she applied based on what I asked. She can help you optimize your limited time. Consider using her for items such as I listed under Room Rate or calling in advance to discuss your interests, if you wish her to suggest a fun and efficient plan for your visit or to supplement yours.

Conclusion. I’m glad I found HTS. I like it.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LittleBiffOne
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 19 August 2012

very nice hotel, modern, with simple and not excessive luxury.
the perfect location for a hotel in the very center of New York City, just a couple of minutes walking from Times Square. Very good room service. You really HAVE to try the cheesecake!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed here 8/6/12 - 8/10/12: Booked this hotel sight from internet reviews and information. It couldn't have been better. The hotel is clean and well-kept. The staff is wonderful. Martina at the front desk welcomed us with a smile and efficiency. She was very friendly and genuinely interested in our trip to NYC. We saw her several times during our stay and she inquired about our sight seeing, etc. every time. What a great asset to this hotel! The doormen were extremely helpful when we needed a cab and with our bags. The Concierge was helped us so much with restaurants, directions, and details about sight-seeing.The central location only a couple of blocks from Times Square was perfect. We walked to so many locations and shows. Great delis and coffee shops in the area! It was a fantastic trip!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I am from Boston and travel to NY frequently but this was my first time staying here and I refuse to go anywhere else. For NY the rooms are very large, not the closet sized spaces I'm used to and are very well kept. The thing that has made this stay over the top for me were the employees, two in particular Richard at the front desk and Will one of the managers. They were extremely professional and gave us plenty of info on NY and the not so touristy attractions should we decide to wander away from 42nd St. Even going so far as to purchase tickets to a show for us and not just passing us to the concierge. I highly recommend this property. I travel on leisure to NY at least once a month and my friend I'm with 2-4 times a month for work and this will be our new spot. We are not easy to please and have never felt motivated enough to even write a review, but this one had to be done!

Thanks guys :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank SloaneLogan
Hopewell, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed here for four days and nights with my seven year old daughter. I booked a room with a king-sized bed. We arrived around 4 p.m. on a Thursday and did not have to wait to be checked in. My friend and her two children were also staying here, and we were given rooms close to each other.

I opened the door to my room (3306), and the room was spacious and looked clean. We had a great view of the Empire State building from our room. My friend had a view of Times Square and all of the neon lights. The room has heavy curtains that block out the light, so one isn't bothered by the lights when they are sleeping.

The bed was extremely comfortable! It felt so good on my back after a long day of walking.The bathtub was longer than a standard tub of 60". I loved everything about my room. No complaints. I could hear when another room turned on their shower, but it wasn't very loud. Other than that, it was quiet. The room safe a large enough to lock my laptop in.

Every staff member I encountered was very nice and helpful. When I left my wallet on a taxi cab, the front desk allowed me to settle my bill (the night before leaving), so I could go ahead and cancel my credit card after that was done. I asked the front desk if they had two extra packs of coffee for my room. They sent someone up with 6 bags of coffee, sugar, sweetener, and creamer!

If I am ever lucky enough to stay in NYC again, this is where I will stay!

Room Tip: The rooms that end in an even number have a view of the Empire State building. The rooms with an odd...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family