“Great location & beds” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Ontario
“Great location & beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2009

nice hotel in perfect lcoation. fair price for NYC and the best beds ever!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,343)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

There's a lot of things I can say about this hotel. The basics are really very good. The rooms are clean and large for Times Square, there is security in the lobby at night and the staff is qutie polite.

When I travel, I expect certain things. I must be crazy, but one of those things is that the bartenders acttually tend bar.

We arrived Friday night after a five hour drive from DC (it was Baltimore traffic this time). So we arrived later than expected and well after the dinner hour. Still, we are so happy to be in New York City, which is the heart of the civilized, intellectual world.

We decided to stop in at the bar, about 10 pm and just have a cocktail. The bartender, who bore a marked resemblance to Kim Il Jong sighed, looked at his watch and moaned that he could still serve us.

We ordered chocolate martinis. It's really not my drink, but the spouse loves them. There you go. What we got was a peculiar concoction that included shaved ice and maraschino cherries. It wasn't proper at all.

After a half hour or so, I set off in search of the Dear Leader, only to find he was hanging out at the reception desk faithfully ignoring the proletariat at the bar were looking as though they'd like to start manning the ramparts and recruit a Jean Val Jean. He moaned that he'd bring our tab: $35 for two really spectacularly bad chocolate martinis.

We went for a walk in Times Square, which of course was glorious in only the way true world class cities can be. Around midnight, we returned and ... Comrade Bartender was still on duty, leading the revolution against the customers by ignoring them. I have no idea why he looked so studiously at his watch two hours earlier. Perhaps he was anticipating a sudden announcement, but it wasn't as though he was close to last call.

We fled across the Yalu River to our rooms, which were spotlessly clean and excellently maintained. Of the complaints I might have, housekeeping here is truly excellent. Except for the bleach. They use way too much bleach on the sheets. Our skin itched and we both had a slight rash in the morning, which really hasn't happened since I was mischievous lad in the 1970s.

We thought perhaps we'd give the hotel bar/restaurant a second chance. Yet, on arrival t was clear that although our Dearest Daniel double wasn't on duty, his ill humored european clone was. Clearly, the hotel bar/restaurant excels at customer replusion thus alleviating them of any responsibility of revenue generation.

We check in with reception about Hilton Honor points, only to be told that if you book through Orbitz, they won't give you points. We shall see.

We wandered over by the Marriott Marquis to get half off tickets and happened upon the Blue Fin at the W, which in true New York fashion was excellent, spotless and flawless in its service.

I suppose that if you're of a particular mindset that is unbearably hostile to alcohol or just not very fond of fellow human beings, then the Hilton may be the place for you. Housekeeping is excellent here, which is always unique enough to make it compelling in its own right. But if you enjoy a convivial beverage with friends after a show, this may not be the place for you.

• Liked — Wonderfully clean rooms
  • Disliked — Food and Beverage service
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

My boyfriend and I went here in Feb of 2009 for a weekend getaway and used his Hilton reward points for a 2 night stay. We stayed in their standard king sized bedroom.

Positive
The room was clean and spacious for two people. The bed was comfortable and we were supplied with many pillows. The room had a large desk, stocked fridge which included alcohol, snacks and sodas, coffee maker, a 37 inch LCD TV, and lounge chair. The bathroom was a good size. There was plenty of counter space by the sink, a large magnifying mirror, plenty of towels for two people, good sized shower/tub with sufficient water pressure and hot water, and complimentary crabtree and evelyn bath products.

Negatives
There were a few negatives which do not make this a 5-star stay. The toilets were extremely noisy. So noisy that you could hear people flushing above, below, to the right and left of you. We were only supplied with one bathrobe. Their food prices were ridiculously high. $20.00 for pancakes....I don't think so. We did not have any complimentary breakfast, however I am unsure if it is related to the fact that this was a reward stay. Not the hotel's fault, but there was a party going on at the room across from us which woke me up in the middle of the night with loud music and noisy people cycling in and out.

Tips
There is a deli across the street called Pax where you could get good breakfast and lunch items with reasonable prices for that area.
Do not eat at the Applebee's next door. We were lazy one night and decided to order food to go which was less than stellar and made me a bit sick.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank evenstar944
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2009

Times Square seems like it would come with noisy rooms. In the case of the Hilton Times Square, the even hotel lobby exists on the second floor. The entire place is surprisingly secluded and quiet, despite its location, and the employees are responsive and polite, despite the corporate "Hilton" name. The rooms are no palace, but then again they are not deliapitated or mismatched like some of the hotels in this same price point and star rating. I'd stay there again, somewhat to my surprise.

• Liked — interior
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank roux2
Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

Stayed here for 2 nighs in Dec 08, 2 adults/ 2 kids. room was typical Hilton, good quality with 2 double beds. Had a view of the Empire State which was nice.

Did not eat in the hotel, instead ate out and about - NYC style at Pizza and deli, good value food not expensive.

Drinks at the bar were very expensive in the hotel - a glass of Guiness (not a pint as we have in the U.K) $16, soft drinks and a tequila/orange came to $37.

Overall a nice enough hotel, but lacked that certain something. Concierge was very knowledgable and the staff were very attentive and welcoming. Guys downstairs in the lobby ensured you felt "safe" and welcome.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bland and neutral feel.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ford maverick
Charleston, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

It was my familys' first trip to NY and we were very excited. The location was great and for that we were pleased. The room type we had reserved and confirmed was not available so we had to settle for what was available. The room was a nice size and clean. The morning we were to leave, the fire alarm went off at 5:ish in the morning and then we heard sirens. After the second time the alarm went off, my husband and I got up and started to pack as fast as possible while trying to wake our 14 yr old daughter. We were on the 43rd floor and my husband was on crutches so we were concerned about him having to go down all those flights of stairs. The hotel made an announcement to go back to your normal duties and ignore the alarms but it still makes you uneasy with only that information. Needless to say 911 creeps into your mind. Not to mention after all this adrenaline, you can't very well go back to sleep. The alarm went off again after that announcement so we really didn't know what to do. In my haste, I forgot to get my brand new Eddie Bauer pillow/blanket combo ($50) that I had packed just in case the pillows were not comfortable. It was buried in the bed and I just forgot it. When I called the hotel twice, no one seemed to know anything about it. Either it got tangled in the bedding or the maid found a really nice item for her car. Either way, this item would not have been left, had we not had this disturbing intrusion on our sleep-in morning before packing to leave. The hotel made no appologies or offered to give us a credit on this tramatic event. We will look for another hotel that has honest caring staff and real customer service.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of respect for us as guests
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Glastonbury, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

I'll make it short and sweet. Booked it through priceline and had no idea where I was staying until it was accepted. Found out it was the Hilton and knew I was safe. Hilton Times Square is in a perfect location. Front desk staff were very nice and polite as was Evon the Consierge. I didn't need anything for our room so didn't have to ask for anything but the room was what I would consider literally spotless. I was very close to the elevators and didn't hear a peep. Would definatly stay here again. I believe that you will never find good places to stay unless you try them but its always nice to have a safe bet. Tripadvisor is a site I always use because I probably trust it more than others.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — View was nit the best.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple