“Surprised there are so many 5's, just a 3* for me.”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #60 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed at the Sofitel for one night and later moved on to the Intercontinental, for which I will use for a comparison.

Firstly, the location, really good. You're right in the middle of Manhattan and you'll be able to venture around pretty much anywhere very quickly.

The room was a lot smaller than I was hoping for and also in terms of quality somewhat lacking. Compared to a similar room that I stayed in at the Intercontinental and the New York Palace this room was indeed very average. Interestingly, a member of staff at the check-in desk told me I had "received a free upgrade" so I am interested to see what I would have stayed in before my free upgrade. I have to admit, I actually doubted that I did receive a free upgrade as I checked the website and pictures elsewhere and it doesn't seem to match. The view from my window happened to be a wall and an apartment block, so I couldn't even see anything.

The fitness centre is also quite small, but I had no problem getting on the machines early in the morning. I also noticed the plastic apples there, I had to double check to see if they were real(!) please consider getting rid of them, in many other countries this would be a freebie in the gym.

Pro's: Free internet. Indeed this is a real benefit as everywhere else in NYC charges $12+ for 24 hours. Free water, a nice touch and this should be a standard everywhere else really.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank majicka
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We regret to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide an exclusive service experience for every guest, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We hope you will give us another chance in the future to experience Sofitel New York and gain your entire satisfaction and trust.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Sofitel New York

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

An Accor traveller
New York City, New York, USA

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is excellent and has a great location. We could walk everywhere. The service was outstanding. All employees were very courteous. Mark Butler handled our reservation prior to arriving at the hotel and also checked us in upon our arrival. His service was outstanding. He made us feel very welcomed and was very attentive to all details.

We stayed at a Luxury king room, which was great. The room was at the 21st floor and was very quiet. The bed was super comfortable.

We ate one night at Gaby, were we sat by the bar. Both the service and the food were excellent. We had the seafood risotto and lobster and crab bisque. The wine selection was also good. The bartender was very attentive and provided great service. He was always making sure all our needs were taken care of.

We will definitely consider the Sofitel for our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words on our staff and in particular on Mr Mark Butler.
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel New York and that you enjoyed the quiet of your luxury King bedroom. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story. It is also a pleasure for us to hear that you had a very good time in our restaurant Gaby Brasserie Française.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York.

Sincerely Yours
Sofitel New York team

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Me and my dad stayed at Sofitel last year in March (2012). He'd stayed there before, and has been to New York a few times. It was my first time in New York, so I followed his lead.
I think this hotel is more suited to older couples or businessmen or women, which explains why my review won't be as positive as the others.

The location is obviously amazing, it's a 5 minute walk to Times Square, same to 5th Avenue.
The Subway is also close by, so you're in upper and lower manhattan in less than 30mins.
There was also a very nice coffee shop/breakfast opportunity at a 2 minute walk from the hotel: Gregory's. We had breakfast there every day.

This brings me to the hotel experience itself. We didn't eat breakfast there because, aside from the price, we were told to wait 30 minutes the first day. We didn't particularly mind, but it's probably something you should take in account when booking this hotel.
We also had dinner in the hotel's restaurant on our second night, and this was disappointing to me and my dad. The menu isn't very accessible, it has a lot of fine dining food, which is not something we liked. For people who do like a more 'haute cuisine', the restaurant would've probably been nice. Though I have to say that service was pretty slow. The waitress was friendly!

We also ordered room service on the last night, for which we had to wait a long time, again. And when it arrived our fries were cold. As my dad wasn't feeling too good, he didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back. But for an expensive, 4 or 5-stars hotel, this was disappointing to me.

This sounds all negative, but I don't really have a bad feeling about the hotel. The bed was great, the bathroom was great and I found the room size to be quite okay. It's New York, so it's obviously not very big, but there was enough room to move around each other.
And to be honest, if you're a tourist in New York, you don't spend an awful lot of time in your hotel anyway.
We won't be going back there though.

Room Tip: Always pick a high floor!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Zahra S

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our unique location as well as our bathroom and Sobed. Your feedback is very important to us and we regret that your experience did not meet your expectations at our Gaby restaurant.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at Sofitel in New York for one week during a vacation in late August 2013. In general, the hotel has a very warm and cozy atmosphere, standard rooms are big enough for two, beds are very comfortable and as previously stated by other travelers, it is amazing how quiet the rooms are, even tho you are in the centre of New York. Location is excellent - 3 minutes walking distance from times square couldn't be any better. Special thanks goes to Daniel, who helped us to find our way around and Ezra, who supported us in booking a rental car. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel New York and that you enjoyed our very central location. We would like to thank you for your kind words on our staff. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.
We very much look forward to welcome you again soon at Sofitel.
Sincerely yours,