“Oasis of calm and luxury in hectic Times Square area”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #73 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent 8 nights here for business and to attend a conference. Overall, a highly positive experience.

From the moment I arrived, service was prompt, professional and gracious. The lobby décor is sober but welcoming -- deep carpets, comfortable sofas, fresh flowers. Check-in was very quick. In just a few minutes, it was all taken care of. I am an Accor frequent guest and received a room upgrade at no extra charge (my rate was about $450 per night including taxes).

My 21st floor room was well laid out with a very comfortable bed. The free Internet connection worked fine. I was near the elevators but the soundproofing of the room was excellent -- it was very quiet.

A Duane Reade (sp?) store was around the corner, handy for stocking up on sundries. As I arrived fairly late in the day and was too tired to venture afield for dinner, I ate in the hotel restaurant the first night. That was just so-so; nothing bad, but nothing memorable. A cappuccino the next morning was disappointing. So while the hotel is a wonderful place to stay, I suggest eating elsewhere. It's NYC, no shortage of choices!

If I could change one thing about the hotel, it would be the location. I am simply not a fan of the Times Square area. Nonetheless, I would happily stay here again.

Note: the conference I attended was at a large Mid-town chain hotel where some colleagues were staying. What a difference! It was like a train station at rush hour in their lobby, the halls were clogged with housekeeping carts all day, the rooms badly needed upgrading, service was lacklustre to non-existent. I was so glad to go "home" each night to the welcoming calm and luxury of the Sofitel, esp on the nights when a trio was playing soft jazzy French music in the lobby salon.

Room Tip: Better views from high floors
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank BaselTourmaline123
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.

We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for this specific occasion.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York Team

Write a ReviewReviews (6,720)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Invited for a business trip, hence no idea of the actual cost of stay, but a bit scared by official tarriffs as displayed, both in the room (1.299 $ per night) and one morning when they brought me the bill (which they shouldn't have) for a modest breakfast (48 dollars if I remember well, tax included). Room was very pleasant, not too big of course (hey, you're in NYC !) but well equipped, nice light conditions, temperature OK and above all very quiet. Was offered a 5th floor room at first, but asked for a higher floor room, hoping for some decent skyline views of the Big Apple...my mistake...from my 17th floor room on the north side I did see the adjacent high rise on 45th street, but not much more and in return I got lousy water pressure in the shower (above the 8th floor the public water company is relieved of all responsibility for these issues someone told me...). Staff was very friendly and (a must for some people, mainly Frenchies I guess, not really relevant to me, but it does add a touch of "je ne sais quoi") for the most part bilingual E/F. A pity there are no inhouse wellness facilities (sauna & pool in the morning = always great). Location is pretty brilliant for about anything you want to do in Central Manhattan : Broadway/Times Square thatres, Fifth Avenue shops, midtown financial HQ's, musea : everything is pretty much in walking distance from here + subway (42nd St, Grand Central) really close by too. Public areas of this hotel have a certain flair about them as well, not too posh or serious business but just relaxed & classy.

Room Tip: if you want to be higher up, make sure you get a south facing room for nice views of downtown Manhat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our very quiet property and the different amenities we offer. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you went through because of the water pressure.

We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for this specific occasion.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very convenient location for the visit to the theater district. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was amazingly quiet. I did not hear much of street noise..... ambulance, police.... it was really amazing. i have stayed in many hotels in NYC and it is by far the most quiet hotel i ever stayed

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our very quiet property and our central location.

We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Centrally located, close to Times square, you can use it as a home base to navigate North and South, East and West in Manhattan. Perfect location for touristic endeavors.
We stayed many times in this hotel, the higher the floor the better. We were upgraded once to a suite on the 28th floor, with view on the Chrysler tower: fabulous.
Breakfast is not a buffet one, but it is actually better: you can select your dishes, and we tasted almost all of them, all excellent.
The room is large acc. to NYC standards.

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JollapParis

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at the Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our very central location, and to hear that you had a good experience at Gaby Brasserie Française.

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is cozy and classy , very clean , all staff was helpful and very friendly , front desk is very professionals ans very helpful , I informed the hotel that am celebrating an occasion and they treated me very well and made my occasion a better one ,5 minutes walking from times square, I highly recommend it

• Stayed: November 2013
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience, appreciated the staff’s professionalism and enjoyed our different amenities.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

After paying over $600 for the room I was expecting a lot more. Then room wasn't bad but wasn't 5 star and not worth $600. It only had a queen size bed (no king) the bathroom had a huge crack in the shower tile. The glass shower walls were only 3 quarters high, looked really weird having this framed shower with open spaces where the glass didn't go to the top of the frame. I am sporting a nice cut/bruise on my forehead where I smacked my head on the empty towel rack that is directly over the bathroom counter. Why put it there at head height? The hotel is looking dated. I had one issue which they attempted to solve but only in a way that suited them and not me the guest.

Overall I would never stay here again. I would pay half the price and go to a Marriott or Hilton properly. That may only be 4 stars but the Sofitel definitely isn't 5.

Looking forward to seeing the generic hotel comment that is the same for everyone. "We apologize......." It is easy to apologize via a website but harder to make it right in person so please don't waste my time responding here and just improve the hotel.

Room Tip: Mine had a horrible internal view of nothing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AZTVLR71
Reviewed 6 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Alan B