Sofitel New York
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$188
US$347
SmithHotels.com
US$308
US$274
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$232
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$267
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$360
US$171
Travelocity
  • Fitness centre
US$515
US$415
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$170
  • Fitness centre
6,846 results
All reviewsthe red flame dinergaby restaurantnew yorktimes squarechrysler buildingseparate showerroom serviceturn down servicebryant parkfifth avenuelate checkgrand central stationhigh floorbottle of champagnequiet streetrockefeller centerfantastic hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We spent two nights at the Sofitel. We appreciated being so close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, etc. etc. Step out the door and you are so close to everything! The rooms were well-appointed, well-lit and spacious. The staff is gracious and the concierge desk is a real gem. With so many restaurants and bars, it can be overwhelming. Take their suggestions and let them make you a reservation. You can't go wrong here. This was our first time at a Sofitel property - they made a wonderful first impression!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the interest in the Sofitel New York and for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property, the different amenities we offer and that you enjoyed our central location.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We are still staying at the Sofitel and having a wonderful time. Staff are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Rooms are spotless and fresh linen and towels everyday. The bar is beautiful and very relaxing and again staff are spot on. Looking forward to eating in the restaurant on this perfect festive evening. Thank you Sofitel for an amazing Christmas break x x

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Sofitel New York on your recent visit in the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our quiet property, and our amenities. We thank you also for sharing your experience at Gaby Brasserie Française. We really appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had the single best sleep of my entire life here. Visited with my ex-girlfriend - the Euro flair and general ambiance made for quite a romantic experience! The location was perfect for our time in NYC and we found it very easy to get around from there in any direction. Their services were world-class and sophisticated enough to make you forget you're in the US. I highly recommend taking your significant other here if you want to impress her, even just for a date or secret weekend away.

Room Tip: I really only remember the bed and how dreamy it was. Apparently we were in a corner suite and the view was stellar. :-)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our very convenient location in the heart of Manhattan and that you enjoyed our comfortable bedroom. All our bedding items are for purchase on our website.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sofitel New York for another stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed for a total of seven nights (in two stages) with my family for a holiday. I chose the Sofitel on the basis of tripadvisor reviews and due to its central location. All in all - a good choice, with some issues.

The pros:

1. Great location on 44th street between 5th and 6th. Easy walking distance to almost any midtown location.
2. Nice public areas, with European sophistication.
3. Very nice rooms (on both visits we stayed in junior suites, which were the only rooms capable of handling a family of 5). Clean and well appointed.
4. Our rooms, on the 29th and 28th floors, had very nice views over manahttan (especially room 2815 - which had a great view of the Chrysler building).
5. Given the quality of the hotel and its location - price was quite reasonable.

Cons -

All in all - service in the hotel was sub-par. A few examples:

1. As we were flying in to NYC very early in the morning, we had requested an early check-in. As a frequent traveller, I am well aware of the fact that this is just a request and that hotels are in no way obligated to provide this. We arrived around 0800 am and were told that the room we were supposed to get is occupied and that, therefore, we should return around 2.00 pm (formal check-in is at 3:00 pm). We returned at 2:20pm, and were told that the room is still not ready. As we were quite tired by this time, having flown all night and walked the streets since early morning, we decided to wait in the lobby, and were told that they would call us when the room is ready. By 3:10pm no one had called us and I started to become quite annoyed. I then went back to the front desk where the manager on duty told me he would go up to the room himself to check if it was ready(?!). A few minutes later he returned and said that it was. Bottom line - instead of an early check-in I actually got the room about half an hour after regular check-in time, and even that only after I pestered the front desk.

2. In spite of the fact that the hotel had the information that we were a family of five, on both times that we checked in to the room, the hotel had prepared the room for only two people. As a result, we always had to request additional towels, that the sofabed be prepared etc. These requests usually had to be repeated several times before being eventually fufilled (on one occasion we requested the additional towels three times, and after an hour had elapsed with no response I called the front desk to say that we were going to sleep and that they should forget about it). I was especially annoyed by the fact that, on our second visit, a week after our first, we arrived at the hotel late at night, only to find that the sofabed was not prepared (so our kids could not go to sleep until housekeeping eventually came to arrange the bed).

3. When making the reservations, I pointed out to the reservation manager that the trip was special to us due to several important family events (birthdays, anniversaries etc.). Having travelled a lot around the world, I have seen many instances in which luxury hotels make a point of letting the guests feel special in such cases ( a small bouquet of flowers, a small symbolic gift, or even just a short letter of congratulation are always a nice touch, and do not really cost the hotel anything). In this case - absolutely nothing. This was especially surprising given the fact that the Sofitel views itself as a luxury hotel (some luxury hotels provide such small tokens to suite guests even when they do not have special events).

4. The concierge staff, while usually very polite and helpful (with one exception) were quite "hit and miss". Two examples: First - in between our two stays I was sent a gift by a family member. Upon checking-in the second time I was informed that the parcel had arrived and was waiting for me at the concierge. I assumed that the parcel would be sent to my room. It was not. When I eventually asked the concierge about the parcel, I was informed that they did not have it and that according to their register it had already been delivered to my room several days before (it had not). I left the hotel asking them to find the parcel and deliver it to my room. They eventually found it and it was waiting for me when I returned later that day. Second example - while waiting in line for the concierge one morning I heard the woman in front of me asking the concierge on duty directions to the NBA store. The concierge responded confidently that the store had closed down and that the new store had yet to be opened. The woman was a bit taken aback and repeated her request, stating that she had been told that the store was open. The concierge reitereated to her that it was closed. The only problem was that the previous day I had walked down fifth avenue and seen a store with the sign "NBA Store" open. I nevertheless decided not to embarass the concierge and said nothing. The woman did not give up, and due to her repeated "pushing" the concierge eventually agred to check the status of the store online, only to discover that they had opened a temporary store on fifth avenue.....

5. Our last day we tried to call the front desk and the concierge for them to send the bellboy to pick up our bags. Neither were answering their phones (the concierge didn't pick up and the front desk was busy). My wife finally caught someone on the phone who promised to send someone straight up. We waited twenty minutes and no one came. I tried to call the front desk and concierge and again got no response, so we took down our bags ourselves, as we had a flight to catch. When we reached the front door the very nice and professional bellboy, who had been standing there totally unoccupied, asked me if I wanted any help with my bags. When I told him we had waited for him for twenty minutes, he responded (I believe totally truthfully) that no one had told him we had called......

Bottom line - from all of these examples I believe the conclusion is that the hotel has a very serious internal communications problem, where information is not properly transferred between departments. While this can be expected (although not appreciated) in middle-level hotels, it is definitely totally inappropriate for an hotel which attempts to portray itself as a luxury establishment. At the same time, I want to make it clear that all of the hotel staff with whom we had contact (except for one concierge) were extremely curteous and obviously aiming to please. As a result - my gues is that the problem is one of management rather than personnel.

I nevertheless gave the Sofitel a rating of 4 out of 5, because its location and value for money are extremely good.

Having said that, I am unsure if I will return to it on my next visit, as I prefer hotels with a higher level of service.

Room Tip: Suites ending with the number 15 have great views of the Chrysler building
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dr63
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear guest,

We regret to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and we thank you very much for the detailed feedback you provided as it helps us to improve our service to ours guests. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies in regards to the inconveniences caused.

We have looked closely into the issues you have brought to light and we hope you will give us another chance in the future to experience Sofitel New York and gain your entire satisfaction and trust.

Yours sincerely,