“Nice stay”

Sofitel New York
Ranked #64 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed on a two occasions while on business. Centrally located, rooms are clean, a decent size, service is good and restaurant food is good. A couple of blocks from Time Square and lots of restaurants nearby. Pricing is typical NYC pricing....crazy expensive. I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at the Sofitel New York; that you enjoyed our central location and the different amenities. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have stayed at other Sofitel hotels in the past, so we decided to book a suite for 4 nights after Xmas. The suite was lovely. The location was excellent! Just close enough to be in the thick of it, but not too noisy and crowded! We arrived around 6 pm on Boxing Day after a long flight, I was unwell during the flight and felt terrible. What made me feel even worse was the greeting we received, after being shown the restaurant and no porters being available to take our bags up to the room, the ginger haired older french lady behind the desk proceeded to look me up and down and stare at my wedding ring. Now, I have never been looked at in such a derogatory manner in all my life. We recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton and were treated like royalty, may I add they are a much better chain too!! The main problem with this hotel is that the staff are snotty and miserable! The bell man outside and concierge team were not much better either. Just because you are classed as a higher category hotel chain does not mean that you can get away with poor customer service. Better staff would make a huge difference to this place.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel New York. We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problems mentioned along with our Director of Human Resources.

Again, please accept our apologies. We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Sincerely yours,
Sofitel New York

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I spent seven nights at The Sofitel the week before Christmas. It was my fourth long stay there in the last two years. In past visits, I have loved this hotel, but not this time. I pre-paid my hotel bill several months before arrival. The receptionist, Caroline, took twenty-five minutes to find my reservation and check me in. She kept typing and going to the back of the reception area.

After check-in I tried to sign up for wi-fi. It told me that I was not a registered guest. I called down to the front desk the first day and the second day. They assurred me that it would be working "momentarily". Finally, on day three, I walked down to the reception area. They had registered me (even though I was pre-registered) with my name reversed using my last name as my first and my first as my last.

The room had no towels on two out of my seven days.

These are minor but annoying inconveniences. My biggest complaint, and the most serious, happened the day before I was to check-out. Here is what happened:
1. 7:00 am I woke up with massive chest pain. I thought I was having a heart attack.
2. I pressed the "emergency" button on the phone and told the woman what was happening. I asked her to call 911.
3. Five minutes later, a man called back and asked "may I help you". I explained the situation to him and asked him to call 911.
4. Approximately ten minutes later, a woman came to my room and asked me a unch of questions.
5. She called downstairs and asked them to call 911.
6. The EMS workers came and took me to the hospital.

Thank God it wasn't a heart attack. But three people asking questions and fifteen lapsed minutes before EMS was called. This is unacceptable. After 24 hours, I was released from the hospital. I went back to the hotel, packed, and asked to see the manager before leaving. He listened patiently and told me he was glad that I did not have a heart attack and that they have new software.

I will not be returning to Sofitel. I could have overlooked the delay with check-in, registering me under the wrong name, and the lack of towels. I can't overlook their unprofessional attitude and lack of urgency when an emergency is involved.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PacificHeights7
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We regret to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and we are sorry for the problems you have encountered upon check-in in.

The safety of our guests is our primary concern and we have closely looked into the emergency issues you have brought to light. We would welcome if you could contact us at your earliest convenience at sofitel.newyork@sofitel.com to share your feed-back in detail as we could not find a record of this event.

We are looking forward to hear from you.

Yours sincerely,

Stayed Christmas week at Sofitel New York. We loved the Art Deco design
in the lobby and rooms. Staff at front desk and in restaurant were friendly and efficient. Special thanks to May who on Christmas Eve helped me with a problem on my ipad. Delivery by Vivian on 24th eve of orchids was a lovely gesture to two people away from their families. Great stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your first stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience, appreciated the staff’s professionalism and enjoyed our different amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband, grandson and I have stayed at the Sofitel in New York many times in the last 10 years. The staff is wonderful and make you want to visit again and again. The location of the Sofitel is perfect and in a central location. The beds are sooo comfortable and the rooms and bathrooms are very nice. The Gaby restaurant is very good and the wait staff are outstanding in their kindness and attention to detail. Rene Madrigal is a wonderful concierge as is Vladimir Umansky. They are both very helpful and offer great advice about places to visit. I can only say again if you are looking for a great hotel, in a wonderful location that has fantastic people working for the hotel, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience, appreciated the professionalism and enjoyed our different amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you again and again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great location in NYC and always wonderful service. Close to Times Square, theater district, Central Park (close enough), Fifth Ave shopping, Rockefeller, and a handful of my clients thankfully. All staff are very professional and accommodating to any needs. Most of them seem to speak French, which obviously helps to cater to the many French guests staying at the hotel. The guests seem to range from business people to families, and everything in between. Rooms are nice, beds are the usual amazing beds that the Sofitel chain has. Nice bar/lounge on the bottom floor where you can usually always find a spot to sit and good service. Not loud whatsoever, always a very comfortable stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York during your recent visit and to taking time to share your experience.
We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed the staff ‘s professionalism and our room. All our bedding items are available for purchase on our website.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York on your next anniversary. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

As part of our Honeymoon, we went to NYC from 18-23 of December, we finally chose Sofitel based on the reviews of Tripadvisor and Booking... It was our 3rd time in NYC but never been in winter, and it was the first time as well that we were visiting the Sofitel.

First of all, our welcome was perfect, the front desk team is amazing, kind, polite, being honest is one of the best I’ve ever seen, as well as the concierge. The hotel surprised us with a Honeymoon cake that was sooo good! The breakfast was pretty good as well, good food and good quality at a reasonable price (it’s NYC…! And our waiter, a guy from Kosovo was incredibly nice). The room was perfect, good size, clean, and in the 20th floor, everything was so quiet and perfect!

The location was outstanding, everything was within a short walk…

What else can I say? Perfect location, perfect service, perfect staff, perfect room… For me, the best option by far in New York, so next time for sure I’ll book Sofitel! Thank you very much for making our NYC stay unbelievable perfect!

Room Tip: The room 2008 was perfect, really quiet, big and really clean.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joan T

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Sofitel New York for your honeymoon and for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted to know that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed the amenities in the room, our quiet property and the staff 's professionalism.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.