“Excellent New York experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel New York
Ranked #63 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent New York experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Whether you are in New York for the theatre, the shopping, or the sights, the Sofitel's location is excellent. A few minutes' walk from Grand Central Station, the Chrysler building, the Rockefeller Centre, and more, we actually walked all the way to the Staten Island ferry terminal as well.

The staff were wonderful, the rooms are very nice, and the restaurant is fantastic.

A minor complaint would be the size of the bath in our room and the weakness of the shower flow, but you can't have everything!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheRunawayFound
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property and the different amenities we offer.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Anywhere USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was my third stay at the Sofitel (last stayed in 2008), and it was great as always.

So many hotels have opened in New York since I last stayed at the Sofitel and I briefly considered booking one of them, but I ended up deciding not to take a chance on an unknown property and instead to stay with the tried and true.

There are many things I like about the Sofitel, the most important of which is that it is quiet. Quiet as in you don't know that you are in New York City since you cannot hear any street noise and I have never heard any noise from any of the other rooms. On each visit, including the last, I have felt like I was the only guest in the hotel.

Other things I like: (1) the bathrooms are spacious with a separate bath and shower and plenty of room to lay out your toiletries; (2) speaking of toiletries, I loved that Sofitel is now using Hermes -- very classy; (3) the linens are very nice and the bed extremely comfortable; and (4) the elevators are fast and there are plenty of them.

I also loved the Wifi. You have a choice of free Wifi or if you want faster speeds you can pay. I opted for the free Wifi and it was plenty fast for email, web browsing and a few short YouTube videos. I can't imagine that you would need paid Wifi unless you were going to stream a movie. The free Wifi worked flawlessly and was faster than I have at home.

The room was very clean and housekeeping was great. Loved to come back to the room and find my clothes that I had strewn about neatly folded and organized.

Finally, I have to give a shout out to the hotel restaurant Gaby's where I ate one dinner and four breakfasts. The prices are reasonable for a hotel restaurant, the service was great and I loved the new spa menu options that they have added. Hotel food is usually so calorie laden and it was great to have an option of eating lighter food so I could spend my calories on some of the famous New York restaurants. The egg beater-turkey omelet for breakfast from the spa menu was fantastic, as was the fish and dessert that I had from the dinner spa menu.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AnywhereUSA310
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you find our staff professional, that you enjoyed the quiet bedroom you stayed in and the spacious bathroom. We thank you also for your very excelent feedback about Gaby Brasserie Française.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sofitel New York for another stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I just LOVE the Sofitel Have stayed here 4 times and all wsere great.
The staff does everything it can to make you feel welcome and comfortable. And it is always nice to see and hear all the foreign languagges spoken there.
The Hotel takes as much care as it possibly can to welcome you. I had even asked for a coffee pot and they had one waiting for us in our room.
We booked a Jr suite this time and my husband was so excited. We were celebrating his birthday.
I have used Accor hotels all over the world and love the deco---particularly the flower arrangements in the lobby. They are georgeous.
The housekeeping were also great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Sofitel New York to celebrate your husband anniversary and for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our satff's professionalism.

We look forward to welcoming you again and again at the Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We chose this hotel for both restaurant and shopping locations without being too much in the thick of it in Mid Town; the rooms were of an average size and well appointed. Internet access was expensive and they did not provide break fast on Xmas day!! Location was good and concierge service was good though we had planned and booked our restaurants from the UK. I think this is not better than the other chains and though a French chain and I speak French the use of French in some exchanges was unnecessary.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at the Sofitel New York; that you enjoyed our central location and the different amenities. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I find it difficult reviewing this hotel, if only because it makes me desperately miss it, and New York City!

I had a wonderful stay here in August 2013, my first stay in NYC.

The location was outstanding for us new tourists, as everything was close at hand. We could walk for 3 minutes and wonder amongst the lights of Times Square every night (and we essentially did).

All tourist attractions are walking distance (well, almost!) and it saved us wasting time planning how to get to certain places - we just got up and walked!

The room was outstanding - we were on the second-from-top floor and had a great view out to the street. It made our holiday, it really did.

The staff were very friendly, and while I didn't eat here (I had to sample some of the local cuisine!), we did go to the bar. The bar was a little pricey, but not surprising if you've stayed in a Sofitel before. We didn't mind though, we were on vacation!

Special mention goes to one of the barmaids who let us have a couple of sodas for free when we came in to the bar, parched, after a long, hot, exhausting day. We really appreciated it.

I hope that I will one day return to NYC, and when I do, I wouldn't think twice about staying here again. If you're considering staying here - don't consider it, just book it. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room if you can - it seemed very peaceful nearer the roof!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Sofitel New York team
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

For the amount that you spend here, I think it was just okay and that some of the other chains in the area like the Hyatt, Hilton, Westin and DoubleTree Suites had better accommodations. Certainly, the service with the piano player was a nice touch, but I don't hang out in the lobby much and I was disappointed by my room which I was told was an "upgrade." It was a corner room, but the room was very small compared to the other hotels I have listed (and I have been to NY a lot on business.) Also note that I did have some difficulty with cell phone coverage from my room.

Great location though and walking distance to Rockefeller Center without the crazy crowds that are at Time Square. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

For convenience, I would stay here again, but considering it is a bit expensive at times, I would not pay extra to stay here compared to the comparable hotels I have listed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our very central location but we regret to read that you did not enjoy your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and trust that your next visit will be more pleasing.

Yours sincerely,
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

No frills, great location, quiet compared to some. Bathroom door was on a spring, to allow room door to open, and would close with a loud bang if we forgot to control it, which we always did, esp at 3:00am! Not a remarkably romantic destination.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed our very central location and our quiet property.
We are sorry for the inconvenient you went through because of the bathroom's door.

Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York for another stay.