“Difficult to fault it”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, UK
“Difficult to fault it”
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I can't fault the Sofitel New York. It was everything I expected of a city centre hotel and it made my stay in New York a real pleasure.

Having Platinum status in A-Club, I am entitled to an upgrade, but there was no upgrade availability on my first night. Fortunately, a suite then became available and I moved in on my second night. The basic rooms are much nicer than anywhere else I've stayed in New York, especially the bathrooms which are often badly designed in New York hotels but perfect in the Sofitel. The suites are even more impressive - very spacious and extremely comfortable.

I found nearly all the staff to be extremely helpful, especially the check-in staff and the concierge. The general attitude of the staff is one of flexibility and trying to accommodate guests' wishes, and I felt like a valued customer. For example, on my last day, they offered to let me check out of my suite at 5pm instead of the 4pm late checkout I was entitled to.

The hotel's location was perfect for me, as I was travelling on business but stayed an extra day for sightseeing and shopping. So many of the places I wanted to visit were within walking distance, and I found the Sofitel to be right in the middle of everything.

The thermostats in the rooms work very well and allow you set the desired temperature to anything you want - including in Celsius (probably the French influence). The room warms up very quickly if you're too cold.

There's no point in using the wired internet, which costs $10 until noon no matter how soon before noon you start using it. Instead use the T-Mobile wireless internet which works throughout the hotel so you can take your laptop anywhere. You can get a wireless voucher from the front desk for $10 (easier if you're travelling on business) or $8 if you buy it online with a credit card, and it lasts a full 24 hours rather than only until noon. Both the wired and wireless internet are just under 3Mbps downstream and upstream, so it can get a little slow when lots of users are using it at the same time. The safe was just big enough for my 15.4" laptop.

My only criticism was the television channels. There are no international news channels (e.g. BBC World, Deutsche Welle etc), so you won't easily be able to keep up with what's going in in the outside world. Even CNN is the domestic US version. However, to be fair to Sofitel this is a general problem in New York hotels, and they do offer TV5 for French speakers. I resorted to streaming BBC news on my laptop, and gave up using the two televisions in my suite, which was a shame given that they were large and modern.

I will definitely stay at this hotel on my next business trip to New York and will recommend it to all my colleagues.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank NFH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Warfield, Berkshire
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Following the excellent reviews of the hotel at Tripadvisor, and having previously stayed at the Sofitel in Venice, we booked a week in October to explore the city. We had a suite on the 25th floor which had amazing views. As we travel with an 18year old son, we find a suite is usually more suitable for us than 2 double rooms as we can co-ordinate our plans easier (ie. get him out of bed in the morning!) and we just enjoy being together. The lounge area served as our son's space and came well equipped with its own large screen tv and minibar!
The hotel was generally quiet and clearly very well managed and organised. Staff were extremely courteous and helpful - room service was prompt and beautifully presented.
We had a great time exploring all parts of Manhattan from this location and would definitely stay here again. Neighbours include the New York Yacht Club and the Harvard Club, so its an upmarket spot, which is within easy walking distance of Times Square, MOMA, Rockerfeller Centre and Central Park. Ground Zero, Wall Street, Statten Island Ferry etc are a short metro ride away.
Overall, we were delighted with the hotel and would happily recommend it - Thank you once again Sofitel!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank blesstheweather
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I have never stayed at a Sofitel before this stay.....I now know I have missed some great nights........It is not inexpensive, but it is well worth it. Every employee recognizes you with a pleasant greeting...the bar is fantastic and the breakfast is better (try the crispy toast and Egg). I am already booked to go back!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 22 October 2009

i had a great stay could not fault the hotel it was quirt clean loverly room right in the centre of midtown between time square and grand central station. there is a great little dinner a fwe doors up as well

i did find it expensive though, but very comfortable

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank loum21
Louisiana
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I reviewed the listings of the hotels in NYC and found reviews were good for the Sofitel. Well, they were correct. It is a nice, quite hotel that is close to Broadway and Times Square. The staff are very courteous and eager for you to have an enjoyable stay. My wife left an item in the common area and forgot about it until later. It was actually turned in to the front desk and they held it until we asked if anyone turned it in. Room was great, bed comfortable, and room quiet. Will definately stay here again.

1 Thank Zacharyb B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed at the Sofitel for my second time. I like trying different hotels but my wife liked it so much we decided to stay there again. We are relatively picky about where we stay and I have to say we were happy once again with our experience. The location is great if you are a theater goer. The broadway theaters are within walking distance.
Nice little bar in the hotel. The staff is very friendly and the hotel has a european feel.

1 Thank hampdenLosAngeles
UK
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in mid October 2009. The hotel is well located for Times Square and Rockefeller Centre (5 min walk) and is close to the subway to get you everywhere you need to be. The room (Superior) was very large and nicely decorated with a massive bathroom and plasma tv. Very cozy and very quiet - except the light building work that started on the road at about 7am each morning - but it wasn't too intrusive, I'm just a very light sleeper, and it helped us get up and out in the morning! The bed was the comfiest we've ever experienced, amazing! We were given a complimentary late check out until 2pm on our final day when we asked, which was great.

Tips for NY:
1. The Red Flame Diner next door was good for a cheap, massive US style breakfast (pancakes, fry up and tea for the two of us came to about $20 including tip). Two other good breakfast/brunch places nearby are Maison and Vinyl Diner, both about a 10 min walk.
2. Buddakan (Chinese) and Kittichai (Thai) were restaurants well worth going to. Service, food and ambience were excellent at both - definitely book ahead. A great, modern, good value trattoria for pizza, salads, burgers etc is Vento in the Meatpacking District.
3. Central Park Wildlife Centre was really fun and a great way to spend an hour. Only $10.
4. Get the E train followed by LIRR train to JFK as a cheap way back to the airport - we spent $55 on the taxi from the airport and the train back cost $7.25 each and took the same length of time.
5. Bring your walking shoes - it's absolutely the best way to see everything.
6. We found New Yorkers so friendly and helpful, so if you've got any questions - just ask them!

3 Thank Ali27Uk