“Everything I hoped for” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge UK
“Everything I hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

I have been coming to New York for a few years now and have always wanted to stay at the Sofitel, but never been able to afford it. Having stayed in the Sofitel in LA (through Hotwire), I decided to splash out and book four nights in (for the price of three) for my daughter and I to celebrate her 20th birthday the weekend before Christmas. Our flight was delayed so we arrived in the middle of the night to be welcomed by charming members of staff. The hotel was warm, stylish and inviting and our (upgraded) room was absolutely lovely - very spacious and well equipped. It's true what they say about the beds - they are so comfortable you don't want to get up. The bathroom was large and it was a treat to have a separate shower cubicle. The orchid and candle set the scene for a truly relaxing, pampered stay. We didn't order any room service (which I thought was rather toooo expensive), nor did we eat in the restaurant. However, a beautiful mousse-like tart was left in our room for my daughter's birthday and when I requested to store it in the mini-bar, a fridge was graciously delivered and installed in our room in a flash! New York was freezing (12" snow fell one night when we were there) but magical in the lead up to Christmas. The hotel was tastefully decorated and comfortingly warm and cosy. It was very quiet with no street noise or sirens. The three free computers in the lobby enabled us to keep in touch with the people we had left at home with no hassle at all and the concierge team were most helpful. So, did it live up to my expectations - you bet it did!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tessajane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

Stayed at the Sofitel for 3 nights at the beginning of Jan with my niece. The room was big enough and the bed quite comfortable. I had requested a room with a nice view through the website and got it no problem, pleasant touch I though. The breakfast is also pretty good. The staff was nice and helpful. I didn't ask much from them but when I did, I was helped with a smile. Would definitely recommend it and go back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Brisbane Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel and had two rooms one for our teenagers 16 &18 and one for my husband and I. The hotel was very roomy, and comfortable, quiet and very well located.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

Overall this is a very good hotel. By Manhattan standards the rooms were exceptionally large, with comfortable bedding and well sized bathrooms. Also the location cannot be beat, especially if you are there to see some Broadway shows. Service is pleasant and efficient.

I just had a couple of quibbles. I requested a twin bedded room, but instead got a king-bedded room with a rollaway. Understandably the rollaway was not particularly comfortable. Secondly the security leaves something to be desired, as neither the doorman nor the elevators require keycards for entry.

• Stayed October 2009
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

Based on Trip Advisor reviews I booked two night stay beginning on new year’s day. No regrets! I made reservations on the hotel website to take advantage of the pre-paid discounted rate. We arrived at the hotel a little after 1pm after checking out of our previous hotel. With no one at the check-in desk at the time I thought we would need to have the hotel hold our bags until a room was ready, but we were pleasantly surprised to find our room was ready! The check-in was smooth and the lady helping was pleasant. With four elevators available we never experienced a problem waiting.

No complaints about room space as we had enough space to place our luggage against the wall and still walk around. The bed was VERY comfortable, bathroom amenities plentiful, water pressure and temperature great, towels soft and plentiful, room spotless, and we never heard housekeeping during our stay. We didn’t need to use the closet space staying only two nights. The television picture reception was a bit fuzzy at times, but we didn't watch much. The Bose sound system is a nice amenity we enjoyed that I find very few hotels offer. Our room view on the 14th floor wasn’t anything spectacular overlooking a quiet street, but I wasn’t specifically looking for a view during this stay. This made for very quiet nights where I don’t recall hearing a sound. The hotel is within 2 blocks (the short ones lol) of subway lines that will get you anywhere and 2 blocks (the big ones!) away from the Imperial Theater where we watched Billy Elliot. Housekeeping turndown service included coming home to our room with classical music playing. A wonderful way to welcome you back to your cozy room after a long day in The City!

The Sofitel New York gave us a quiet area within walking distance to Times Square, Broadway shows and subway lines. With a comfortable bed and spotless room added our overall experience was a very solid 4 star hotel stay!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Hershey Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

This is a great hotel to celebrate a special ocasion. We were celebrating a birthday and our 40th anniversary and the person (Vivian) at check-in acknowledged both. In addition a cake was left in our room when we went to dinner, which we thought was a very nice gesture. The upgraded suite was very spacious, had two flat screened tvs and a great bathroom - we loved it. The room was clean as was the entire hotel, and the staff was helpfull and friendly. The breakfasts, which were included in our package, were fantastic and the waiter(Ronald)- the best. In summary, we had a great weekend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdeast
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

Myself and my fiancée have just returned from our 4 day stay at the Sofitel. I chose this hotel by sorting the most popular hotels on Trip Advisor and picked the most reasonably priced centrally located one. The Sofitel is a beautifully decorated hotel, the lobby is fantastic, the rooms are spacious by New York standards, we had a superior queen room, on the 22nd floor. It was at the rear of the building so very quiet at night. It was well equipped with a big flat screen tv with 50 odd channels to choose from which was great. The bathroom was elegant, the shower was excellent and the L'Occitane Provence shower gel and shampoo were a nice touch.
The reception staff were professional but not overly friendly, just business like, which is fine. The door staff were excellent, very polite always happy to help and even got me a superb SUV, as requested, to bring us to the airport.
The only downside and it is a big one in my opinion was the heat in the rooms, the hotel itself is very warm throughout but the heat in rooms made sleeping difficult. The air con was ineffective, it just seemed to make noise and the window didn’t open enough to let the air in, which is a shame as the bed was superb I just couldn't sleep in it.
The location is the biggest selling point, a few minutes from Times Square, however this hotel is refined and a joy to stay at. I'd highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple