“Very responsive staff who quickly resolved a major problem, and fabulous hotel!”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #65 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My boyfriend and I traveled to NYC to attend a wedding and chose to stay at the Sofitel in midtown to enjoy the city. I had stayed there twice before on business trips and loved the hotel. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and I have always felt relaxed and at ease staying there. The rooms are very quiet and have every amenity you could want-- including my favorite: slippers. They are a bit small, but hey, it's NYC.

We arrived early on Friday afternoon and our room wasn't ready yet, so we stashed our bags with the concierge and wandered around the neighborhood and grabbed some lunch. The location is perfect-- walking distance to Times Square and Central Park (if you're up for a nice walk), and convenient to the subway.

When we returned, our room was ready and they offered to bring our bags to the room. Unfortunately the BCBG bag containing my brand new gown for the black tie affair and shawl was missing. The staff returned to our room 10 minutes later with a BCBG bag, but it wasn't mine. It only took a few minutes for us to realize that another guest must have my bag by mistake. The staff responded immediately, accepted responsibility, was very apologetic and focused on remedying the situation, i.e. find me a dress to wear a few hours later.

Brooke from the concierge desk called the room and offered to send someone to the BCBG store to replace my dress. I had to shorten the gown significantly and take-in the top, so I knew there was no way I could purchase the same gown. I asked if I could just go to the store myself and find a new dress. Brooke was amazing-- she called BCBG and arranged to have a sales person greet us and help me find a new dress for the wedding. She also told me that if I couldn't find a dress that fit without alterations at BCBG to go to any store and just find a dress and bring the receipt back to the Sofitel. Brooke also offered to make me appointments for hair and make-up, and offered us a car service for that evening. I was impressed-- they were definitely going above and beyond what needed to be done. All I wanted was a dress to wear, but we were greatly appreciative of how attentive and willing they were to provide us with all of those additional services at no cost to us.

In addition to Brooke, the hotel manager Katherine was also incredibly helpful. When we returned to the hotel with a new dress, Katherine met us in the lobby and apologized for the mix-up. She took the receipt and said that she would take it to their accounting department and let us know how we would be reimbursed. We returned at the end of the evening to a voicemail message from her saying that they would FedEx me a check ASAP. We returned last night from NY, so I'm still waiting for the check and can't comment on how quickly it was sent.

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with how quickly Katherine and Brooke apologized and worked to remedy the situation. Nowadays, it's so rare to find such high quality customer service like we experienced. Can you imagine an airline doing any of this for a lost bag? Obviously it would have been nice not to have the stress of a missing dress right before a wedding (yikes!), but it was handled in the best manner possible considering the circumstances, and I have no complaints. The other guest did return my bag the next day and I was able to get my original dress back too!

Despite the misplacement of my bag, I would absolutely stay at the Sofitel again and highly recommend it to anyone for both business and personal travel. They showed that they are truly a 5 star hotel in the way they reacted and resolved this problem. The staff, especially Katherine and Brooke, were gracious throughout our stay. And, we had a fun story to share at the wedding!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WashingtonJL12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wales UK
Reviewed 8 March 2010

An excellent hotel, close to time square but and theatres but far away not suffer any noise. The hotel room was clean and comfortable, nice BOSE sound system and flat screen tv. Bathroom very clean with a separate large shower cubicle. Hotel staff very approachable nd concierge excellent. Just one warning, DO NOT use hotel room phone for international calls, even if you dial and dont actually connect the hotel charge you $15 dollars per attempt! Otherthan that the is hotel suitable for all types, the hotel appears to do a lot of corporate functions and on occasions the foyer was very busy with business types and a there was a lack of seating, but in the bigger picture thats nothing really. I recommend this hotel for its location and quality.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ICRC1977
Brussels
Reviewed 7 March 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Sofitel New York. Service and infrastructure were as expected from a 5-star hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere in the hotel and between the staff was pleasant. Even though the hotel has 400 rooms, it never felt like an industrial operation; the lobby, restaurant and bar were never crowded and the service of the staff impeccable. Congierge and door staff were helpful and well organized. We enjoyed very much the central location of the hotel that allowed us to visit New York and return for a 'break' without loosing too much time.

1 Thank Sven1300
Bangor
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Went here for a 40th birthday treat for 4 nights mid-week. Took a junior suite and were lucky enough to get a roof terrace! As high up as we were (24th floor) street noise was not an issue.

The suite compised two main rooms with the bathroom off the bedroom and was a good size (especially for New York). We enjoyed ourselves immensely and found the staff and service very good indeed. We only breakfasted once in the hotel and had a few drinks at the bar but located as it is a few blocks from Time Square and between 5th and 6th Avenue we were spoilt for choice with the host of nearby restaurants/bars and proximity to the main attractions.

1 Thank AJMBangor
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 March 2010

The room I had was extremely clean! Staff was VERY courteous and very nice! The lobby and all the amenities were AMAZING!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone would wants a REAL NYC experience!!

Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichelleH73
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel for seven nights last summer and were very pleased with the experience. First of all, the location was excellent. We were a block and a half from Times Square and a block and a half from Grand Central Station. The area was very clean and we always felt safe walking home, even late at night (after 1:00am).

The staff was good, the concierge desk (I believe her name was Brooke) provided lots of valuable information and booked an excellent city tour for us. The door men were friendly and quickly got us a cab when we needed one. There was a charge for wifi in the room, but there were three computers in the lobby for guest use (there was usually a bit of a wait for them). Our room was on the twenty-second floor with a view of the GE Building (30 Rock) and I would say the room was pretty big based on what I have heard about NYC hotel rooms.

One could likely get a cheaper room in a similar area, but I would defiantly recommend the Sofitel to anyone staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kennyBNewbrunswick
Enjoyniceholidays
Reviewed 3 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel in New York for 5 nights Feb/March 2010. It was the hotel that I had wanted to stay in when we decided to goto New York for a city break and it didn't let down. The staff were helpful. The concierge were excellent, booking trips and restaurants for us - giving us info when we required it. We dined in the restaurant which was lovely and also had drinks - the staff were great.

The room was very nice, although not huge, was large enough. It was kept to a very high standard and cleaned to an impeccable standard daily. We had room service which was also good and prepared quickly.

Location was good for our purposes - a couple of blocks from Times Square and the New York library so access to the subway was relatively easy. It was on a fairly quiet street so we hardly heard any noise whatsoever (we were on the 11th floor). We were given an extended check out time which was also useful on our last day.

Only cons were prices were on the high side (for room service/restaurant/minibar) but guess that is more about the pound to the dollar as we found that pretty standard in New York. We were given bottled water every day - left in our room.

If we were to go back to New York I would definitely stay at the Sofitel again.

1 Thank Enjoyniceholidays