“Location. space, peace and quiet, at a cost”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #65 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Location. space, peace and quiet, at a cost”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Got a good 3 nights for 2 (6 nights for 4 in fact) deal on a junior suite. Even with that this is an expensive hotel. But you are smack in Midtown between 5th and 6th, and a few minutes walk from most of the major subway lines.

Our junior suite on the 26th floor had a sizeable lounge separated from the bedroom by a short corridor, the bedroom had a grandstand view of the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. Big bathroom, separate shower, no skimping on the L'Occitaine toiletries. And it's QUIET. We've done the Times Square stay twice and there's no getting away from the fact that's noisy. Times Square is less than 5 minutes walk away, and yet the Sofitel is an oasis of calm.

Didn't do breakfast in the hotel ($54 for 2 is not cheap): I'd recommend Gregory's Coffee over the road or the Red Flame diner a few doors up.

Decent gym (24 hours). Free internet (you may need to be patient though) in the lobby. Staff are polite and helpful.

Beware the compulsory 15% service charge in the bar: it's not made clear up front. At these prices you may as well schlep along the road to the Algonquin, who do better cocktails.

Overall: great room, much more space than most midtown hotels. great view, but pricey. Brilliant location. Go room only and get the best deal you can. It's the best hotel by a long way of those I've stayed in in New York. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Heidbummer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Well, fourth time at the sofitel (I think I've even reviewed it twice) and although I always promise myself that I'll try something different when I visit NY I just can't find a reason not to stay at the Sofitel; every review says it all - lovely rooms, brilliant service, great locaiton, etc.
I actually stayed in a standard queen room this time and it was absolutely fine - the bed is heaven and the nightly tray of biscuits awaiting me on returning to the room was a lovely touch. Even the stormy weekend (and non-stop rain) couldn't ruin my trip this time. One small tip (and it is! - I think every other review has mentioned something) - it's much quicker to exit the hotel through Gaby's restuarant exit if you're going anywhere north of 44th St. It cuts a block out and you can cover another block under cover if your visit happens to coincide with the worst storms for years....! lol

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 March 2010

This week, my husband and I spent a few days at the Sofitel on our first pleasure trip to New York. We had stayed at their sister property in DC and were expecting the same level of quality. We were not disappointed. The location is excellent. The staff is equally as good. The room was quiet and comfortable with all the amenities one could expect. I do wish they had a top sheet in addition to the comforter as we got a bit hot at night. Excellent hair dryer (minor thing, but important). Upon checkout, the Danielle noticed that we had not recieved the correct credit for our package - without us having to ask, she phoned central reservations and took care of this quickly. The bar staff was also top noch - only wish the bar area was a bit more cozy like the one in DC. We are looking forward to a return visit.

Jersey UK
Reviewed 19 March 2010

No one can argue with the location of this hotel it's great for exploring the city with lots of the sights in walking distance.

The rooms are looking a little tired but clean, the best was the hardest bed I've every slept in, thankfully I don't suffer from back problems but am sure that if I did I'd be unable to manage the flight home! I don't think the hotel deserves it 4 stars to me its much more 3 star.

All staff where polite and helpful but the next time I go I'll be staying in Soho where we found the shopping much easier and a better choice of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AbinGav
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Classically Sofitel!

Pros : usual high-level Sofitel quality (service, rooms and bathrooms), good fitness center, fresh fruits always on disposal... Quiet rooms.

Cons : not directly located on Times Square ; expensive ; internet is not provided for free ...

1 Thank silensloic
leeds
Reviewed 18 March 2010

excellent stay for long weekend, very nice hotel, excellent location, would definately stay again at this hotel

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Sofitel NYC this past weekend to celebrate her 40th birthday. We were greeted in our room with a lovely dessert plate on which was written(in chocolate) Happy Birthday! (The dessert was yummy).

We had a few issues that were resolved cheerfully. The breakfast was to die for...I felt I was in Paris with my coffee and hot milk (which I requested). The croissants and other pastries divine. We had one dinner there on Sunday night and it was excellent...especially the olive tapenade served with the mini baguettes. My compliments to the chef. (The sole was the best ever.)

Staff was lovely and I never tired of hearing bonjour.

I will search out other Sofitels as this was my first experience.

Merci beaucoup to all.