“Great Location, Fantastic Stay”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #63 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location, Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Fantastic location so easy to get everywhere from here. Room was clean & tidy, beds comfortable, no noise. Staff were very helpful, except for snobby concierge on check out but that was just 1 person. Free internet in the lobby. Would recommend to others and would definitely stay there again. Made our New York stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The hotel is located in a very good location. Everything is very close, its really in the center of the city. We did not take the breakfast there as it seems quiet expensive. Would have also appreciate free WLAN access. Beds are very comfortable and also the linen is more than good for US standards. I also loved the bath products from Occitane.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel in March 2010 - we thought it was a lovely hotel - beautifully decorated, the staff were polite and the room was immaculate and clean.

The hotel is a good walking distance to all major attractions.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Just back from a four night stay to celebrate my wife's birthday , having chosen the Hotel from Trip Advisor ratings.
Its not cheap but worth the package for its comfort and location alone , probably the quietest Hotel I have stayed in & that right in the middle of Manhatten.
Nice touch from the Hotel who upgraded us and sent my wife up a Birthday cake when we returned on our first evening , couldnt fault the Hotel would definitely return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Visited the Sofitel NYC in Oct 2010 and had a wonderfull stay for 3 nights. The hotel has a lovely reception area with free wireless and computers to use, real handy for checking the days weather or activities etc etc... all the staff were wonderfull, smiles all around from the door men, the concierge, the reception, the bar, the cleaners, very welcoming and also very informative when asked anything about NYC ! The room was very nice indeed, huge, plenty of storage, fantastic bathroom and the bed, well WOW what a bed, it was a pity I had to leave it to go and see NYC, the bed was simply amazing and by far the most compfy sleep I have had in many a year !

The location is another winner, its in mid town and was easy to walk to places like times square, empire state, chyrsley, rockerfella centre, st patricks cathederal, grand central station, brytant pak, all the theatre's... subway in time square is easy to use, catch the Number 1,2 or 3 downtown, we got the number 2 down to the staten island ferry , only $8 for a full days use.

No negatives about the hotel from me, it was a winner and I would stay there again upon returning to NYC. But being british, I am used to having breakfast included in the hotel costs, hence we did not eat breakfast in the hotel as it was a $25 extra charge per person, per night.

Aurevoir and merci beaucoup !

vancouver
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I booked a room here because of the great reviews on Tripadvisor. My stay was fine, but not exceptional. The bed was great! One of the best I've had. Otherwise, the room was fairly standard in size and decor, with no view at atll. The lobby was small, but tasteful. The other guests seemed to be business travellers. The vibe was business, a downtown crowd. I think there are better places to stay in NYC, but I would stay at a Sofitel hotel again and I would stay at this Sofitel again, but only if I got a great deal.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 October 2010

What is there to say about the hotel? It's wonderful!

Location: It's right near Times Square, but on a street that is fairly calm. We walked from Penn Station and it took about 15-20 minutes (depending on how much your feet hurt and how you hit the lights). The hotel is right in the middle of everything - my husband and I didn't need to take a taxi/subway our entire stay.

Entrance: Note that the check-in is through the lobby and to the left. All we saw when we first walked in was the concierge desk - we couldn't see the check-in desk.

The hotel is very nice looking. We had room 922 - a suite - which was fairly large. The only downsides I noticed about the suite was a grate that seemed to be missing in the closet and I was looking for something like a small fridge. The layout of the suite is perfect - you enter in a little hallway, and then can choose to go left through a LARGE closet to the bathroom or bedroom or straight on to the sitting area. From the sitting area, you can go into the bedroom. Both the bedroom and sitting room had nice TVs and were bigger than some NY apartments. The closet was large and contained a large shelf to place your suitcase on. The bathroom had both a tub and nice shower, plus more than ample room on the counter.

The hotel staff were extremely nice. I don't normally like the cleaning staff touching my things, but the one evening when we returned, my toiletries were arranged so perfectly (by size and in a nice triangle!) that even someone who's slightly compulsive like me loved it.

The room was very quiet - I never really heard anything from the outside. (Although there was a strange thump that we never quite figured out! It sounded like something hitting our window.)

We had free internet - and the desk in the sitting room even contained an ethernet cord in case you forget yours. While we stayed, we received a note saying the hotel was upgrading its wireless, so I'm sure there's that to look forward to as well.

While we were there, we also received notices about various parades/street fairs that were going on during our stay. This was very helpful so we knew 5th avenue would be closed one day when a friend would be driving by, so we knew to direct her to drive elsewhere.

In short, if you want to truly relax and love the hotel you're staying at, this is the one to go to!

1 Thank ladymacb29