“What a cool vibe!” 5 of 5 bubbles

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What a cool vibe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Straight out of mad men! Loved this large dark open bar! Felt like movie stars. Class hostesses and cocktail servers with prompt service.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Upmarket cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Lovely room close to Grand Central Station. Cocktails are not cheap but the hostess was welcoming and the drinks were very good. A good experience.

Visited July 2014
London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A portal to A Lost World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Having lived in New York for a couple of years I felt like a battle hardened know all, seen it done it got the T shirt etc. But a recent visit reminded me why its so great. Firstly, its the sort of place that constantly re-invents itself, so just when you think you know it you realise you dont. You go to Crate and Barrel and its an old friend and you go to the Frick and have the comfort of re-affirmation that yes you were right, it really is on of the worlds greatest museums. Then you stroll across town and you find something new like the Highline park. Is it the worlds greatest park, no, is it the worlds best views, no, but wow does it hit you, an opportunity from nothing to improve the hood and add to the already rich tapestry of NY. You are used to the views down the avenues, but suddenly you get those views from on high, of the cross towns, an intelectually liberating moment, like the day after finishing your exams, or the first time you go diving and sea a new world.
The Campbell apartment is not that experience for me. I lived nearby for 2 years and didn't know it was there. Thats how cool it is. Neither did my NY friends, and thats how cool they were not. You cant find the entrance, I defy you, go and search. I thought a portal was a mythical entrance, destined to drop you out onto the New Jersey turnpike, finding yourself in a heap next to John Malkovic. But this portal is better. Eventually after much searching I found an art deco lift, unpreposesing and discreet, in a grey granite wall. I got in and pushed a button, might have been to floor 3, it was a surreal out of body experience and the details escape me. I alighted, and drifted in an ephemeral manner through a lobby and into a large scottish baronial hall, with a 20's vibe, neat cocktail waitresses nicely presented, girls in flapper dresses I swear, and a barman serving cocktails to die for. When we left the art deco pre war ambience, it was only with the intrusion of Mr Sinatra, and the insult of modernity was no more than the mild chastisement of of an innocent 1950's world, gently caressing your conciousness. I stood by Mr Campbell's safe at the fireplace and beheld the lost world around me, oh to have lived in the pre war era. I left, reluctantly and after several cocktails, vowing to return again soon, as I re-entered Grand Central via the lift/portal and my spirits collapsed on re-entry to the modern world. I tried to return the next day, but there was no lift, it had gone, the magical portal had closed. Devastating.
Apparently Mr Campbell used the apartment for entertaining his guests from out of town, and from now on so shall I, if I ever find it again.
The Campbell apartment, its the Ritz bar in London, Harry's in Venice, the Rainbow rooms, its special, if the gods ever guide you to the portal you are trully blessed.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank PaulWhitlockLondon
Montreal, Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Historicus Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Campbell Apartment bar is worth tbe side trip. My father and I were on a night tour of downtown New York and stepped off at the Grand Centrale Station to see this historica office / bar and naturally enjoy a cocktail while taking in the historical artefacts. A little expensive but worth it. I'm very Vlad my Dad had read up on it in the paper and had the clipping. Thanks Dad!

Visited April 2014
Olathe, Kansas
“Amazing Drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The drinks here were amazing! Between us we had the Bayard Fizz, Highlander (a table favorite), Kentucky Ginger (ordered twice!), a and the Hemingway Daiquiri. All were very well blended and extremely tasty. We also had the Roastbeef sliders, which needed a little more relish on them. The Cheese plate was delicious.

Visited May 2014