“Not That Bad If You're Prepared”
Review of Supreme

Supreme
Ranked #603 of 920 Shopping in New York City
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First, if you don't like the Supreme brand, you won't like this store and you should do yourself a favor and just skip this. My rating and review is written with the assumption that the reader is a fan of the Supreme brand. I am personally not a Supreme fan but we were staying close to the store and were provided with tips that I will share in this review.

Second, if you want to go on a Thursday (aka Drop Day), you will need a reservation. If you don't have a reservation, do yourself a favor and come back another day. Drop days are when new items are added to Supreme's lineup. Releases are made in each of Supreme's brick and mortar stores but only a limited amount of choices are released online.

Also, before committing to standing in the line there a few things that you can do to save yourself time. Look online to see what is currently offered for sale online and while it may still be listed online, some items are very popular and sell out quickly after release. That said, items that are sold out online might be available in store. If you come to the store, you might as well buy something that is not being offered online. The most coveted item is typically a T-shirt as those always sell out and depending on the imagery could also be very popular on the secondary market such as Ebay. But be realistic, if you don't have reservation, you probably are not getting a T-shirt. Looking online will also give you a perspective on typical prices for these products. These are definitely priced for the luxury/premium market with caps typically starting at $50.

Finally, before you commit to standing in line, take a peak inside the store through the large glass windows that make the store's street facing wall to see if at least one of the hats (one size fits all too) might be something that you would want to buy before going in. You can easily get inside the store and not have anything that you like (and in your size) that really strikes your fancy.

For most who want some Supreme gear, just go online and buy something. Going to this store isn't a NYC "experience" by any means but do keep in mind that there are only 6 Supreme stores globally with two in NYC (other is in Brooklyn) and only one other US location in LA.

I usually leave my trips with a souvenir and on my last day, I was without one so I decided that I would pick one up by buying something from the Supreme store in SOHO. This store is very close to and a very short walk from the Lafayette/Broadway stop. The block that this store sits on does offer some decent shopping. As of this writing, WESC, G-star Raw, and Onitsuka Tiger stores are all adjacent to this store. I did not have the time but regret not just looking in the Onitsuka Tiger store as I believe that it is a pop up that will close after 2018.

My suggestion is that you go to this store before it opens as there will be a line and the line gets longer as the day goes on. Although the line is clearly a marketing tactic to increase hype and curiosity of passerby traffic, due to the popularity of the store it's just needed. If you plan on shopping here, plan on waiting as well. The length of the wait will depend on so many different factors but lining up before the store opens is what is suggested by most to avoid waiting a long time. The queue is "managed" by a group of 3-4 unarmed ushers dressed in "security" shirts. Also, don't wait to go to this store before it closes. They stop allowing people into the line perhaps 30-45 minutes before the store is scheduled to close. You will see a line in front of the store on the Broadway side but almost always (unless close to closing time), that line continues on the other side of the store. The line is on the sidewalk without any covering but due to the ropes used and ushers present, the line is at least very orderly. We arrived at 11am on a Monday and waited 1 hour to get inside. From what I understand, its best to go M-W or Thur if you have a reservation.

People are allowed into the store as people leave. The store is simple and carries Supreme branded apparel and skateboard decks, skateboard accessories and other Supreme branded items. They also carry some limited 3rd party apparel. One nice thing about this store is that they limit the number of people that can be in the store at once. It really does make a difference. Once inside, there is zero pressure placed on the shopper to buy and no pressure on needing to limit your time inside. The selection is very limited so it really shouldn't take someone more than 20 minutes to pick something out and go.

Remember that tax is not collected on purchases of clothing or footwear under $110. Happy waiting and shopping!

Date of experience: October 2018
in 3 reviews
"subway"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 15 October 2018

This was one of the few places my 17 year old son really wanted to see in NYC. We took the subway and were able to visit "Do" a cookie dough confectionary that my daughter wanted to visit which was about a 12 minute walk from Supreme. We got to the store location at about 12:30 pm, on a Sunday. As we approached the store we saw roped off lines with Security wearing black outfits. We started to get in the line on Prince Street and were told by Security almost inaudibly to go to what we found out after asking a second time "Crosby". Crosby is a side street off of Prince Street. There was a line of about 20 people standing behind black ropes against a brick building. We got at the end of the line and got our hands stamped. We noticed most of the people in line were speaking international languages, possibly Swedish and German. Anyway, we stood in the Crosby Street line for about 15 minutes, got told to go to the Prince Street line. Some people tried to jump ahead as we got to the 2nd line but everyone cooperated and there was no issue. I spoke to the security guy who was from Brooklyn. He says a lot of people come to the store daily. There are always lines and Thursday when the store has been replenished with new items the line can take several hours to get through. We stood in the second line about 15 minutes and then was moved to the Lafayette Street line. There was more security and a NYC police officer on duty. There were two store guards as well at the front door. They let about 10 people in the store at any time. Most people leaving the store had Supreme shopping bags in hand. Once in, after having waited in the last line another 20 minutes, I was surprised at how small the store was and how little merchandise variety as offered. I heard later that they pull things from the back and the items in the store were basically one of each item they had in stock. T shirts that weren't supreme brand were being offered for $170 each. The sweatshirts were around $260 and had flashy metal studs that we did not like. There was an orange wool coat for $635 and some dress shirts, sweaters, jeans in limited sizes. There was a wall of skateboards, baseball caps, backpacks and duffle bags. We considered getting my son a black backpack which said Supreme in white which was $158. After a minute he said he thought it was smaller than he needed and he didn't think it was worth the money. We looked in a glass case and saw felt markers for $10 each, skateboard gadgets, and some gold jewelry that was priced over $300.00. Right before we were about to leave we spotted a bright red tool box with the Supreme logo on the front in white. I asked to see it and knew my son would like it. We purchased it and the store employee threw in a couple of Supreme Stickers that sold for $2.99. Going there we didn't expect to buy a tool box but it actually made the 55 minute wait worthwhile. My rating is poor because the merchandise selection was very limited, the sizes were limited, and the prices were very high. My son was glad we went, and we also went to a Supreme resale store about a 20 minute walk away from Supreme. The prices were even higher for used Supreme items! I'm glad we went to Supreme but I don't plan to do it again. If you have teens, hope the line goes fast when you visit! :)

Date of experience: October 2018
5  Thank Laurie S
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Bottom line is this store is ALWAYS busy. If you don’t have time to be patient, don’t bother. I went on a non-Thursday drop date (Tuesday morning) exactly at opening and the lineup wrapped the street and was told to come back at 2pm to see if I could get in then. The security guards were very friendly and had a lot of people asking the same questions so didn’t see any rudeness when I was there. They outlined the process clearly but again demand for this store is crazy! Didn’t actually go in but store is very small and maybe lets in approx. 10 people at once in store. Looked through the window and minimal merchandise available. If you’re willing to waste a day in NYC to get in, then worth it otherwise wouldn’t bother. But have nothing negative to say about security or outside staff.

16  Thank Saverio B
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Closed, told to come back Thur...go Thur, told only for invitations - just too arrogant and unhelpful!!

2  Thank CamillaB1799